Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A secret for winning every time!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A secret for winning every time! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 9:05:30 PM   
henri51

Play both sides (and cheat if necessary...)

But seriously, I am thinking of doing something I have not done since cardboard wargames - playing both sides in the GC . It was a great way of trying out strategies, tactics and counter-strategies. It is also a great way to get a pretty good idea of the opponent's capabilities.(I have played a number of the smaller scenarios, and I may be ready for the long haul, i.e. the Grand Campaign.)

And for a monster game like this, it might be a good learning tool, as one does not have to get his shorts into a knot over a serious mistake that screwed up one's game, especially when it is not clear what the mistake was. In such a case, one can either use a saved game, or see how the other side could exploit such a mistake. Not to mention that one can learn a lot more from making mistakes than from playing seamlessly...

In the good old days of cardboard games, I must have played The Russian Campaign a hundred times, and I never got bored with the game. I used to write up AARs of my games for myself.

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 12/22/2010 9:06:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 9:14:26 PM   
Gandalf

The only drawback to this single player head-to-head play is that there's no way to strategically surprise yourself. (think Operation Uranus)

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 12/22/2010 9:15:08 PM >

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 2
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 9:23:12 PM   
Mifune

Operation Mars happened the same time. You do not hear too much from the Russians on that one.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 3
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 9:30:48 PM   
Helpless

quote:

You do not hear too much from the Russians on that one.

Glantz took the data for his book from ancient Maya..

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 4
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 9:32:13 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Would be a good trying tool to save time. We did it and still do with our board games......

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 5
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 10:59:05 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

The only drawback to this single player head-to-head play is that there's no way to strategically surprise yourself. (think Operation Uranus)

Well I may be special, but I DID surprise myself when I played head-to-head. This was because when I changed sides, my perspective changed and I saw things that I had not seen from the other side or that I had forgotten to take into account. For example, the German side is gathering units for a wholesale strike into Moscow which, if successful, will end the game; then when I take the soviet side, I think:"Hmmmm, the Germans are probably thinking of trying a 3:1 odds attack on Moscow, which has a 50% chance of succeeding. Hmmmm...now how can I position my units to decrease the odds of that attack succeeding, and of worsening his situation if it does not succeed...Oh look at that! If I can attack this infantry unit and destroy it, he will not be able to get 3:1 odds"...

Henri

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 6
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 11:14:49 PM   
PyleDriver

I played "me" againts "I" once. It was a truly learning experence...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 11:48:07 PM   
OldSarge

I used to do that in the old cardboard days. It was pretty difficult to find someone interested enough to play against, even when pulling a long, boring weekend of CQ duty.

I still do it with games like the PzC series, where the AI is incompetent, when I'm on the road. I have my own house rules and I do play with FOW and have done pretty well against myself!

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 8
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/22/2010 11:51:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I played WitP H2H (aka head to head) With this game there will be a difference though: I am NOT going to avoid PBEM (the best experience). In WitP I avoided it like pest... More than 1.000 turns (a huge commitment ). With WitE a PBEM game is indeed feasable. Now I only need to re-read the manual and then bring me a German victim (joking).

I would say the best way to learn (in the game and possibly in most situations) is playing against an opponent who is BETTER than you

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/22/2010 11:52:47 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 9
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/23/2010 1:28:13 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

You do not hear too much from the Russians on that one.

Glantz took the data for his book from ancient Maya..

Actually there were some Minoans involved in Mars as well. 23rd Panzer was a mostly Minoan Panzer Civilization
famous for its octopus motif ceramic things. Glantz learned Linear A just to transcribe
that account which was full of Russian documents that had be suppressed and sent to Ancient Crete.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 10
RE: A secret for winning every time! - 12/23/2010 2:51:22 PM   
Altaris

I've been playing HtH against myself on the smaller scenarios to learn the game mechanics. It works very well for this game, and I think as a learning exercise it's absolutely great.

And if you approached this with an open mind (ie, play as if you only have the info your DL's allow you), I could see this actually making for a fairly fun experience in the GC.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A secret for winning every time! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI