Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minute's Silence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Minute's Silence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minute's Silence - 9/11/2002 12:54:09 PM   
antarctic

Here's a virtual minute of silence for all those who perished one year, to the day, ago.
It is also for all those who are now fighting to keep the flame of freedom alive.

........................................................................................................

Antarctic

"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin
Post #: 1
- 9/11/2002 7:06:58 PM   
gnoccop

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
and for ALL the victims of the war.

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 2
- 9/11/2002 7:21:39 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I won't say anything beyond the fact that if I went to ground zero, odds are it would change me forever somehow.

It took me several days to accept those two buildings actually fell, and it wasn't a hoax.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 3
- 9/11/2002 10:42:03 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gnoccop
[B]...........................................................................................................................................................................
and for ALL the victims of the war. [/B][/QUOTE]

Amen

Got StuG?

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 4
- 9/12/2002 1:45:06 AM   
manuel

look my signature.
if you look my info you will know that i live in a country in war.
a lot of persons die every day and no one cares.
if one cares for the people of my country i don't care a about the
WTC terrorist attack .

Excuse my english.:mad: :mad:

To Comemorate The Sacrifice Of Others.
-Pow and Mia-You Are Not Forgotten

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 5
- 9/12/2002 4:39:08 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Not exactly a wise move saying something negative about 9/11 on a board saturated by Americans and Canadians, Manuel....

But yes the world is a horrible nasty place for a great many millions each and every day.

Fortunately, Canadians have proudly served in many obscure (to the common schmuck) countries as Peacekeepers.

I hope that your country one day knows a more lasting useful peace to your people.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 6
- 9/12/2002 7:26:02 AM   
Bing

I give thanks every day for my family being spared. My son, his wife and the granddaughter live four blocks from what used to be WTC. Especially today I am grateful they were spared.

My son sent me a FDNY cap for Christmas, I wear it often and especially today. Every generation defines courage and valor in their own unique manner. The fire and police personnel of NYC did so one year ago today. They knew going into the burning building their chances of coming out alive were remote at best. They went in anyway. They say it is what they are trained to do. I call it courage of the highest possilble kind.

I could tell other stories of NYC and one year ago. The above are enough. My son called last night, we discussed the events of a year ago. Thousands of people who lost loved ones in WTC are not able to do that.

I am the luckiest man alive. Somebody up there likes me - and my family.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 7
- 9/12/2002 8:00:14 AM   
Supervisor

It's not often that we shut down military flightline operations but we did today to honor those who are gone but not forgotten
.........................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................
.....:mad:

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 8
Sorry, but i don't sorry. - 9/13/2002 5:35:50 AM   
manuel

More people die in afganistan(spanish word) every month that in the WTC.
And the americans care just a bit??????????
250.000 persons, inocents persons die in the salvador revolution
and USA think that he make a favor to the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
USA give to my country GLIFOSATO(another spanish word) a dangerous venom to kill the heroin and coca plants, but this venom affect so much poor people AND SOMEONE CAREs????????????

I don't have bad feelings to the american people but open your eyes and cross the frontiers of your country. A little WTC happen every minute in a lot of Poor countrys.

Excuse my bad english.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 9
- 9/13/2002 5:57:02 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok don't take it the wrong way Manuel......

.... but if you are going to insist on saying what you say, and on Sept 12 th of all days........

..... then regardless of whether their are other injustices around the world, real or imagined, I am going to have to insist on standing as far away from you as possible......I know what collateral damage looks like man:(

I think you will search all day, and come up empty on this forum looking for sympathy after slagging the US on their day of mourning.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 10
you're right. - 9/13/2002 6:18:42 AM   
manuel

Ok, ok, ok maybe i'm taking all this in the wrong way.
i'm only saying that the USA are making a lot of noise about the WTC(i don't want to offend) because the americans never fell the war in their homeland.

Without bad intentions i'm saying that the thinks that you're felling are not new to a lot of third world countries.

i don't want understanding or words of wisdom.

I'm tired of all this noise about the WTC. thats all.:)

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 11
- 9/13/2002 10:25:04 AM   
Bing

Check history, Manuel. Pearl Harbor was certainly "homeland". Not mainland but certainly it was the Us, otherwise the Japanese would not have been attacking.

My First Sgt. used to have a sign on his desk:"Make Sure Brain Is Engaged Before Putting Mouth In Gear". Enough said.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 12
- 9/13/2002 7:41:31 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

One death is to much especially to the dead person.

A death in the family naturally means more to the family than it does to a stranger.

A dead citizen, will impact the citizens of that nation generally more than it will a foreigner.

Therefore, if it be one person, a 100 or several thousands, in the end it is likely it will be felt more so by the group it directly effects.

Now in defense of the US (something that the forum will agree, that Les the Sarge won't do without very good justification:) ), while the US may seem to some, untouched by the ravages of reality. or to some, to not have had the ravages of reality visited upon them, in quite the same proportions as it has been visited upon to others, it is entirely unkind to say they don't care.

I live in Canada. We enjoy a wonderful life here in Canada. That is not entirely my fault. Several times Canada has enjoyed the top slot as best place in the world to live. Even being above the US for selection.
I live in a country that does NOT allow lies, untruths, inaccuracies, falsehoods, or revisionist statements willingly. Now to be fair, those things are not always supported knowingly. So don't get set to accuse me of labelling others arbtrarily.

When I see the news on TV, sure it is often in sound bites, tiny snippets of barely meaningful news slices. But what I see is often a great deal more accurate than in some parts of the world.
Sure there is bias, bias is human nature.
But an outright lie will get stomped into the dust in Canada, and it is unlikely anyone will come to the aid of someone perpetrating a lie. That said, I generally trust the news to a point (I am no ones idea of a sucker of course).

It saddens me though, when I see comments that are merely ill advised rants, from people that sadly have not been told vital bits of news. History is also often sadly lacking. Perspective is often damaged by a sad lack of complete knowledge. Information is often sadly missing.
I say sadly to all of that, because it is rarely entirely the fault of the person making the statements.

Here I can casually retrieve information that is trustable, verifiable, and objective. I have people from cultures from all over the world. But this is not normally the case from a lot of the people living in a lot of the places around the world.

A bit of perspective is perhaps in order.

After the Second World War, it was generally speaking the US that rebuilt Germany, France, England, Japan and I am sure a host of other countries. And it should be noted, that 2 of the 4 countries mentioned above, spent several years killing 10s of thousands of US citizens. And yet the US went, after the hostilities had concluded, and rebuilt those countries.
Now a person can say what they want, but there is no way anyone is going to tell me, that those 2 Axis countries would have spent a dime rebuilding any of the countries they conquered had they won.

Here in Canada, I am often stunned at the vicious comments directed at the US. Especially when it is often the US, through it's many cultured population, that shows up with financial aid when mother nature kicks you and knocks you down.
But I don't recall ever once seeing foreign countries showing up in the US to help them after mother nature kicks the US and knocks it down.

When a foreign power kicks you and knocks you down, it is likely one of your neighbours that did it. And it is often the US that says, "hey we don't think you should do that".
True I am proud to say that Canada invented the Peacekeeper notion back in I think it was 56, but we sure don't have the cash to do it realistically (I wish my governement would finally accept that).

If the US is guilty of sometimes sticking an opinionated nose into someones country, you can be sure, they have good intentions. They might not always have the tact a foreign culture requires, but they can't be faulted for trying to be nice.

At the end of this long rant, I have to say Manuel, that Columbia is supporting a process, that funnels cocaine into the US.
If a person gives you support and infrastructure, financial aid and security, only as a means to produce a substance they intend to distribute into a foreign country, that is harmful to its people (people that are often lacking in wisdom), then it is pointless folly, when that nation gets sufficiently frustrated and upset, to say they are attacking you in an unwarranted fashion.

The US does not want cocaine in its country. If the people that insist on forcing it on US citizens (even if thse same unwise citizens want it), go ahead and do it, then the US is only going to respond back more forcibly.
If the US makes life difficult for those supporting the production of that substance, then I can only say, that those people have chosen unwisely.
If those people are unaware of all the facts, then that too is sad.
But it will not alter the simple truth, the US does not want cocaine forced upon its people.

I generally don't get political. It breaks a fundemental rule of mine. But being Canadian, I guess its a character flaw, we Canadians rarely stand by and let another force an injustice on an undeserving target.

I can say plenty of negative things about the US, but I never make any of it up.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 13
. - 9/14/2002 1:42:25 AM   
manuel

The solution isn't make a mess in colombia, US use the cocaine(is the first country in the list). USA Junkies are a BIG part of the problem, but colombia are another part of the problem we only have 3 important products to export: Coffe, Coca and mariguana.
Thanxs to God that this is changing, flowers, vegetales(spanish word) and fruits are in a very good way. And is a tropical paradaise rain forests, 2 oceans, a lot of fauna and flora. but no one can enjoy all this, the guerrilla war is BIG problem.

Excuse my english, again.

;)

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 14
- 9/14/2002 7:11:55 AM   
Belisarius

People of 78 nationalites died in the WTC crashes (including the PA crash) - that makes it more than a US issue, and I hope that the US citizens doesn't forget that Americans weren't the only ones to be killed that day. :(

Whatever the means does not justify an arbitrary killing of innocent civilians, no matter what.

Then we can start the discussion of what happened *after* 9/11. Approx. 3.000-5.000 civilian Afghanis has been killed in the campaign against Al Qhaida (sp??). They did not ask for it, nor endorse terror. They wanted to build their lives out of the rubble left of the Soviet invasion and the subsequent wars. Remember that the US funded Al Qhaida from the very onset, as a factor to bring instability to the Irani regime, in *support* of Saddam Hussein. These are facts.

However, I feel that the innocent victims in Afghanistan goes into the 9/11 rememberance as well.

Got StuG?

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 15
- 9/15/2002 8:05:11 AM   
Huffy

Manuel...the loss of life is a terrible thing indeed....and I (and I think the forum will agree), wish it would not continue,in any part of the world.
Rich..poor..or whatever.....the blood is all red. It also hurts.....friends...family....loved ones...
Yes...I live in the USA...and the WTC,Pentagon,and PA. plane crash,... did have a knife through heart feeling for all touched by the events.
It seems that no matter who it is....they have a issue with someone somewhere...neighbors ,..or across the world....and death seems to be the common denominator....sad..but true...again...all the blood is red...and it hurts someone...
I have ..and will support the vets of our country...past and future....I love my country,as you, I am sure love yours.
All we can do...is hope for the best in all cases...
Take care...
Huffy

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 16
I'm, tired - too tired - 9/16/2002 2:29:26 PM   
Capt. Pixel

I've now been looking for employment for nearly 10 months. I'm a degreed Mechanical Engineer with over 15 years experience.

I lost my job in an aerospace industry shortly after, and as a financial result of, the 9-11 attack. I've not been able to resume work in this country that has apparently become totally paralyzed for the last year. :( (But I thank God every day that I didn't lose my life, or family, or friends in that attack!) I'm constantly told I'm over-qualified for minimum wage jobs, even though I'd take almost anything at this point. :(

It seems that US businesses have become unwilling to forge ahead and continue to improve and expand their products, and hire new employees. The unemployment lists get longer everyday, and a local employer (Raytheon) has just let loose another couple of hundred engineers only last week.

When are we (the United States of America) going to pull our heads out and realize that the damage that terrorism has done to us goes way beyond 9-11, and is still affecting the daily lives of virtually every citizen? (for instance, you are all paying for my unemployment insurance. :( I don't particularly want it, but my children need it!)

The 9-11 attack struck me deeply in patriotism and even deeper feelings for what I feel is a very great country, (no, not the best perhaps, but definitely a country and a government to be proud of), long before it impacted my wage-earning ability.

My greatest hope now is that we can put this behind us and move forward again and forge a stronger, more solid country and all get on with our lives. Our 'stuck-in-the-mud' attitude is pathetic, and it makes me tired. So very tired. :(

- Michael

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 17
- 9/16/2002 6:30:42 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Come to Canada I guess.

Heard on the news that our new job rate for this current time , has exceeded the new job rate for the rest of the developed world combined.

Not sure we have a position for a Mechanical Engineer, but clearly people are working in Canada.

(in reply to antarctic)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Minute's Silence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI