Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to mod artillery support in TLD?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Mods and Scenarios >> How to mod artillery support in TLD? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to mod artillery support in TLD? - 1/29/2012 5:27:01 PM   
Hargrem

I am trying to mod the artillery barrage to make it more powerful - more like a barrage of 150mm guns than medium mortars.

I thought this would just be a case of modding the "Arty Explosion" Class 2 on weapons.txt, but it doesn't seem to work...

EG, I have changed "Blast Size" to 4, to make it the same as for Naval Artillery (Class 126), but the crater size still looks the same, so this seems to me that the change is not working. (I have also changed the "blast radii" and "kill ratings", again with no apparent effect on game play).

Am I changing the wrong weapon or is there something else I need to do? (I am using the ground tactics mod, if that makes any difference).

Thanks
Matthew
Post #: 1
RE: How to mod artillery support in TLD? - 1/29/2012 5:57:27 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Hi Matthew,

You are changing the correct entry -- weapon index 2, HE ammo is used for artillery support. Blast size 3+ creates the largest size crater that is in the game, so you won't see a difference in the crater between blast size 3 and 4. You could make the blast size smaller if you just wanted to do a visual test that your changes were having an effect in game.

(in reply to Hargrem)
Post #: 2
RE: How to mod artillery support in TLD? - 1/30/2012 6:49:50 PM   
Hargrem

Hi Steve
Thanks for your prompt reply. You've confirmed that I'm not going mad, but something is still not right with this, as I am not noticing any change in weapon effectiveness re the changes I am making to "blast radius" and "kill ratings"...

...So, I took your advice and did a test, setting the "blast size" to -1, ie, no blast, for Arty Explosion. I did the same for the German 8cm mortar so I could compare. The mortar worked as expected, but the barrage was unchanged!?!?!?

Without anything else to go on, my conclusion is that the Ground Tactics Mod is using a different weapon for the mortar barrage??? I have read davidss' readme file, but couldn't find anything to this effect. How do I check that out and change it? Or do I need to contact davidss and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks
Matthew

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 3
RE: How to mod artillery support in TLD? - 1/31/2012 4:15:30 PM   
SteveMcClaire

No, you're not going crazy. I told you the wrong index. Doh!

When I first glanced at it I saw the index being used internally was 2, but it isn't the index into weapons.txt that I was looking at, but the index into an internal table of created weapons. 2 is the third one created. The actual weapon class for the artillery support is 19. For naval support it is 126. Note that the one you want to change is also used by the normal 81mm mortar, so you'll need to take some additional steps.

The full answer is that if you want to modify the artillery support without changing the on-map 81mm mortar, you need to:

1) Bump the count at the top of the weapons.txt file up by 1.

2) Copy-paste the entry for weapon class 19 to the end of the file and set the weapon class for this to 'count' - 1.

3) Modify soldiers.txt and vehicles.txt to chance any weapon class entry of 19 to point to the new weapon class from step 2 (should be only 1 soldier, 1-2 vehicles I believe). Note that if you miss one you'll find a mortar team in the game firing your big artillery, so you'll probably notice.

4) Change weapon class 19 into your artillery support, as desired.

Steve

(in reply to Hargrem)
Post #: 4
RE: How to mod artillery support in TLD? - 2/3/2012 6:28:20 PM   
Hargrem

Steve
Well, that's a relief! Instructions understood - all within my modding capabilities. Artillery now working to my satisfaction.
Thanks
Matthew

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Mods and Scenarios >> How to mod artillery support in TLD? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI