Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of Buying

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Thinking of Buying Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of Buying - 2/16/2011 7:50:13 PM   
Icedawg

But I'm not sure how much I'll play it once WiTP AE's next patch is released. AE is by far my favorite game, but lately I haven't been playing it at all. I'm waiting for its next official patch to come out and when it does, AE will once again consume most of my free time.

So, my question is this. Is this game worth the money and time spent learning how to play if it will, in all likelihood, take a back seat to AE in a few weeks?
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/16/2011 7:54:20 PM   
Fetrik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg
So, my question is this. Is this game worth the money and time spent learning how to play if it will, in all likelihood, take a back seat to AE in a few weeks?

I would say that depends on if you think a few weeks playing of WitE is worth the price. Besides, you may like it so much that you keep playing it on and off for years.
Pondering the question a bit more i think that a gamer appreciating this type of game can't go wrong by buying. But that's just my opinion.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/16/2011 10:21:12 PM   
Redmarkus5

I play WiTP AE PBEM right now (about 2-3 turns a week) plus WiTE. They are both excellent and I am sure you won't regret buying WiTE, especially if you opt for PBEM games at your own pace.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to Fetrik)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 1:56:31 AM   
bairdlander2

If you are a WitPAE fan,WitE might seem a lot simpler.It is and thats why I find it more playable,enjoyable.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 2:01:01 AM   
bilbow

I also think of AE as my #1 game, but I am also enjoying WITE enormously. I'd say buy it.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 10:22:54 AM   
alfonso

quote:

But I'm not sure how much I'll play it once WiTP AE's next patch is released. AE is by far my favorite game, but lately I haven't been playing it at all. I'm waiting for its next official patch to come out and when it does, AE will once again consume most of my free time.

If you only have space in your life for one game, you should not buy WITE. That is my case, and I think I will not play WITP AE precisely because of that.

But,...

if you really have space for two games, the second one should be WITE..

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 10:36:13 AM   
invernomuto

I have both WITP:AE and WITE. WITP is still #1 in wargame list, but WITE is an excellent wargame. If you like WITP, you'll not regret buying WITE.
Bye.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 1:21:54 PM   
morganbj

If you have a lot of time to play, you can knock down a game of WITE in a couple of weeks. That's about what the first turn of AE takes. (OK, I'm exaggerating a little.)

So, play a few weeks of AE, then for a break play some WITE. After pushing the red hoardes back to the Urals, or the fascist dogs into the Atlantic, then go back and pick up in AE where you left off. Life is good.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 1:53:07 PM   
WilliePete

I think what it really comes down to is how much of a fan of the Eastern Front you are. If you are a big fan, then this game is a must buy - it's that good. If the pacific is your cup of tea, then wait a little bit and play WitP once it's patched up until you are burned out with it then reconsider the Easter Front again!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 2:03:04 PM   
Blind Sniper

It is worth every penny, I'm very happy about this game.

Anyhow it is not WitP, the turn is weekly and that means no super detailed management.
In WitP the ground combat is the worst thing, here the naval and air warfare (ok you still have some option about air warfare but forget an in depth management).

The best for his category, but you have to love ground warfare otherwise...

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 2:21:14 PM   
modrow

Icedawg,

quote:

I also think it is worth buying, for several reasons.

First of all, bear in mind that we all want WitP II - see buying this game as an investment towards that - keeping Matrix and 2 by 3 in business .

Next, you are probably aware that a number of hardcore AE players have been infected by WitE. Thus, it cannot be taken for granted that AE really will consume most of your free time - it may well turn out to be WitE that does.

Also, I think the "learning" part is probably more fun than WitP/AE. One of the great aspects of WitE is that you can start playing and having fun very quickly, even though it may take a while until you play really well. I would also say that in WitE, the available scenarios are very well designed. If you play them one by one, you are gradually introduced to the beast until you end up with the grand campaign. At the same time, playing a small scenario means a lot of fun as well.

Last not least, even if it all turns out as you predict, I guess you will end up starting WitE every now and then (e.g. if you PBEM while waiting for a turn). Speaking just for myself, WitE is the first game I bought that established itself as an alternative to WitP/AE. I still prefer AE, but I play WitE as well.

So I think you should buy.

Hartwig

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 11
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 2:34:06 PM   
Shellshock

I do like the immediate gratification in WitE. In WitP, you can spend hours poring over your units in the planning phase before hitting the execute button. And some times you have to wait until the next planning phase to get a clear idea of what happened during combat. In WitE, you often get combat the minute you start moving your units. Even unhindered movement can bring attrition as a units loses trucks or tanks to breakdown

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 4:43:38 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

If you have a lot of time to play, you can knock down a game of WITE in a couple of weeks. That's about what the first turn of AE takes. (OK, I'm exaggerating a little.)
So, play a few weeks of AE, then for a break play some WITE. After pushing the red hoardes back to the Urals, or the fascist dogs into the Atlantic, then go back and pick up in AE where you left off. Life is good.

No, I don't think so. Two weeks gets me about halfway through a first turn playing as Japan. (But I'll admit, I'm a bit on the OCD side.)

Thanks for all the input guys. You are very good salesmen. Matrix will have another WITE customer soon.

Now I just have to run it by the wife. Thank goodness it's still not far past Valentine's Day. She still has fresh memories of that nice romatic dinner I cooked for her, the flowers and the chocolates, so I'll give it a 80+% chance of going through.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 13
RE: Thinking of Buying - 2/17/2011 4:57:36 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: bilbow

I also think of AE as my #1 game, but I am also enjoying WITE enormously. I'd say buy it.

Another here who plays both I think of AE as my number one game but right now to be honest am spending more time playing WITE with the future games spun off this engine you it won't hurt to learn the game on the ground floor. Did I mention the game is has no boring turns? Buckle up and enjoy the ride and don't be surprised if you want to spend more time playing this than you anticipate.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 2/17/2011 5:00:10 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Thinking of Buying Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI