Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warplanes Placed in Reserve

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Warplanes Placed in Reserve Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/10/2011 7:09:21 PM   
augustinus

I'm into the twenty-third move of the Guadalcanal Scenario, PBEM as the Allies. I got sloppy and lost two carriers on the twentieth move. Their plane complement flew to PM, where I planned to use them against any IJN landing attempts at Milne Bay. After two turns I noticed that their numbers were decreasing by being placed "In Reserve". Also, none of these CV squadrons can gain replacements. Why are they being placed in reserve?
Post #: 1
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/10/2011 8:03:14 PM   
ChezDaJez

Do the units have enough pilots to man all the planes? If not, the extra planes will be placed in reserve. The same will also happen if the unit exceeds its aircraft allotment.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 2
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/10/2011 11:31:48 PM   
augustinus

Thanks for your reply ChezDaJez. Well, I can't answer your questions precisely, since I've sent my move and I'm locked out of the game until my PBEM opponent sends his next move. But, if memory serves me, there are a sufficient number of pilots for each squadron. Each squadron does not exceed its aircraft allotment, either, because each of them had planes splashed as a result of the air combats over CV and Transport TFs. After I get his move, I'll be able to give you precise info.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 3
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/11/2011 1:49:33 AM   
bradfordkay

The game does weird things with the remnants of the squadrons from a sunken carrier. I recall seeing something similar with the remnants of Hornet's air group when Chez' forces sank her. I don't recall exactly how it all worked out... it is possible that the aircraft that were polaced in reserve ended up being shifted into the replacement pools instead of being brought back into service in that squadron.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 4
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 8:13:22 AM   
inqistor

If there is not enough Air Support planes could be placed into reserve.
And if those are remnants (/x, no parent unit), they should not be able to take replacements.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 3:29:54 PM   
augustinus

For all concerned: the next three posts will show screen shots of PM and VS-3/2 and VF-3/2 at Port Moresby. Please note, PM has more than sufficient air support for planes, there. Also, each detachment has more than enough pilots and very few planes. Yet, there are some in reserve. I would like to have them back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 6
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 3:32:23 PM   
augustinus

Here is VS-3/2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 7
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 3:34:00 PM   
augustinus

Here is VF-3/2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 8
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 5:31:50 PM   
zace

These are all fragments of the unit not the base unit or a detachment. Fragments have a desired size of zero. Because of this you can not add planes to them.

Where are the main sections for these squadrons? Click on the button next to unit OOB. This will tell you where the base squadron is which CAN take the additional aircraft.

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 9
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 5:52:42 PM   
augustinus

Thanks for updating me, zace. I thought the main sections of these CV squadrons were at the bottom of the sea because of the carrier air combats several game-days ago, and that the remnants I had at PM were mere survivors. I'll be clicking on the button next to unit OOB.

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 10
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 5:57:07 PM   
zace

YW

Yay I actually knew something for a change! slowly the community grows...

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 11
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 8:06:45 PM   
augustinus

Well, I'm not sure. Here is an OOB screen shot of one of the "detachments" at PM showing the destruction of the relevant squadron, which, by the way, is true for all of the CV remnants that made it to PM: all of the main sections were destroyed during the carrier battle, so they cannot take any additional aircraft, I am assuming (one must be careful not to be dogmatic).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 12
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/12/2011 9:40:47 PM   
zace

I am not sure what it takes for fragments to become parents. I know LCUs will do it automatically though I have had to wait a turn before.

It might be that the air code is missing the ability of a fragment to become a parent... You could try creating a fragment against the ai then disbanding the parent unit.

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 13
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/13/2011 6:10:45 PM   
bradfordkay

All you can really do is disband these units into another VF, VB, VS or VT unit. Otherwise they will remain tiny fragments. Tiny fragments are not without use, however... they can be just what the doctor ordered to fill out the needs of a forward base. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 14
RE: Warplanes Placed in Reserve - 2/13/2011 9:55:35 PM   
augustinus

Apropos tiny fragments, I think (if I'm thinking what you're thinking) tiny fragments can have a very useful purpose, especially, if one is under the gun. In this case, my friend, who is playing the PBEM IJN side of things, is trying to take Milne Bay. The air fragments that ended up at PM after the disastrous sinking of two of my carriers have just blasted an IJN Transport TF near Milne Bay (I assume he is aiming for that port). They have definitely filled out the doctor's order. Thanks, Bradfordkay.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Warplanes Placed in Reserve Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI