Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stupid Soviet Org Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Stupid Soviet Org Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 7:26:18 AM   
AFV

What are the MDs used for? Are they similar to Fronts? So far, I have not really used them but I'm thinking surely that is a big waste. Its very hard to get all my ants organized into ant hills.
Post #: 1
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 7:43:54 AM   
sillyflower

same as fronts - just different name

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 2
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 7:59:29 AM   
Omat

Military Districts (MD) are Fronts with following characteristics:

- not movable

- Command Capacity stays at 36 cp (1-2 Armies) ( normal Fronts
have 72 cp till 3/42 and growing over time till 99cp)

- Soviet units attached to a Military District may change their
HQ attachment at no admin point cost (same as units attached to
Stavka) (this new introduce with V1.05.59)

Some Military Districts (MD) are going to change into normal Fronts:

- Leningrad MD (at start) to Northern Front (6/41) to Leningrad Front (9/41)
- Baltic MD (at start) to Northwestern Front (6/41) to 2nd Baltic Front (10/43)
- Western MD (at start) to Western Front (6/41) to 3rd Belorussian Front( 4/44)
- Orel MD (at start) to Bryansk Front (8/41) then disbanded (10/43) then reformed as 2nd Belorussian (2/44)
- Kiev MD (at start) to Southwestern Front (6/41) to Stalingrad Front (7/42) to Don Front (10/42) to Central Front (2/43) to Belorussian Front (10/43) to 1st Belorussian Front (2/44)
- Odessa MD (at start) to Southern Front (6/41) to Southeastern Front (8/42) to Stalingrad Front (10/42) to Southern Front (1/43) to 4th Ukrainian Front(10/43)
- North Caucasus MD (at start) to Caucasus Front (11/41) to Crimea Front (2/42) to North Caucasus Front (1/43)
- Transcaucasus MD (at start) to Transcaucasus Front (11/41)

So Military Districts (MD) small defensive Fronts. Because that soviet units attached to a Military District may change their HQ attachment at no admin point cost There is no reason not to use these small Fronts if they are near the front line. The pros for an Army which is attach to a Military Districts (MD) are the same as a normal Front. And the soviet Front`s do not have enough Command Capacity for all the Armies ...so the the MD`s helping a little bit.

This is only my two penny worth opinion...

Hope it helps....

Omat

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

What are the MDs used for? Are they similar to Fronts? So far, I have not really used them but I'm thinking surely that is a big waste. Its very hard to get all my ants organized into ant hills.

< Message edited by Omat -- 3/19/2012 8:11:32 AM >

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 3
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 8:30:18 AM   
AFV

Omat, that helped a lot! You explained that very well and I appreciate it.

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 4
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 8:43:14 AM   
Elladan

Now, the question is - is it better to attach a reserve army (one which does not fit into one of the fronts due to command limits) to a military district, which is far from the front, like the Urals ones, or is it better to leave that army directly attached to Stavka? On one side you have an additional command level giving you another roll if army commander fails, on the other, the chances of Zhukov in Stavka helping out are smaller. I think I'm siding with the Stavka reserve armies concept but would be good to hear other informed opinions.

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 5
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 3:48:54 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elladan

Now, the question is - is it better to attach a reserve army (one which does not fit into one of the fronts due to command limits) to a military district, which is far from the front, like the Urals ones, or is it better to leave that army directly attached to Stavka? On one side you have an additional command level giving you another roll if army commander fails, on the other, the chances of Zhukov in Stavka helping out are smaller. I think I'm siding with the Stavka reserve armies concept but would be good to hear other informed opinions.

If the army is still "in training", that is, the units in it are still sub 50 morale, and sub 40 experience, I would leave it under the command of one of the MDs. This way, the units benefit from the increased layer of leader checks. If the units are trained up, and the army is "combat ready", then I would transfer it to Stavka. Also, in this way, you can more readily keep track of which armies are which, since the color coordination is of a consistent nature.

(in reply to Elladan)
Post #: 6
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 7:05:20 PM   
Tarhunnas

I tend to have one or two armies attached to Moscow MD, as that is usually close to the front and you need units defending Moscow anyway. That will relieve the command load on the Fronts, and I think it is better than having them attached to STAVKA.

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
RE: Stupid Soviet Org Question - 3/19/2012 10:31:41 PM   
carlkay58

I tend to use the MD as training commands, particularly the Urals and the one in the center of the map (can't recall the name). I also use the Moscow MD to hold the armies that are digging in around Moscow since almost every game I have played sees fighting around Moscow at one point or other in the first year.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Stupid Soviet Org Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI