Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Terrain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrain - 11/14/2002 1:36:56 AM   
DavidW75

How will terrain be handled in the game? Specifically effects on movement and combat
Post #: 1
- 11/14/2002 5:04:19 AM   
Sabre21

We will have to wrestle that answer out of Rob:)

I am sure it takes into account terrain types and line of sight. I just wonder if weather will have any effects...such as the typical foggy German day or General Mud.

Sabre21

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 2
- 11/14/2002 10:25:45 PM   
IronManBeta

This is what I have handy. % Cover refers to the 'hindrance value' (explained below) and % movement refers to the % of max speed possible through that terrain.

§ Types of terrain
· Forest – 95% cover, 30% movement, 10 meters high obstruction
· Orchards – 60% cover, 50% movement, 5 meters high obstruction
· Bare Open – minimal vegetation and no real cover for military units. 10% cover, 70% movement
· Mixed Open – lots of low lying vegetation (ie crops) and a few trees or other larger items. 33% cover, 60% movement
· Marsh / Swamp – 15% cover, 20% movement
· Rural – 50% cover, 40% movement, 5 meters high obstruction
· Suburban – 70% cover, 40% movement, 10 meters high obstruction
· Urban – 90% cover, 50% movement, 30 meters high obstruction
· Primary and Secondary Roads – if the unit is ‘using roads’ then it can ignore the slowdowns otherwise imposed by the terrain it passes through.
· Rivers and Streams – Streams can be crossed by any 100% amphibious unit with a delay of 20 minutes. Rivers can only be crossed at bridges with a delay of 1 minute.
· Elevation – measured in one-meter increments vertically. LOS calculations look for elevations plus obstructions that can block visibility.

§ LOS / LOF – much of the terrain in this game contains both clear vistas and many visual obstacles. It is possible to get long but very narrow lines of sight in some directions and to be all but blind in others. Terrain types are rated for overall hindrance to line of sight / line of fire. A view from one location to another is considered blocked if the accumulated hindrance exceeds 100%.

Terrain obviously has a huge impact on game play and we have expanded the types of terrain greatly from the original design. Many of the specific values have already been tweaked away from what is described above and will continue to move around as we test the game more.

Locations are 500 m side to side so that can include quite a mix of terrain internally. We try to take what is representative and of most interest at the company level militarily. My big interest is in 'urban terrain' even though both sides wish to avoid it where possible. By 1989 the chances of doing that were much reduced and that lends itself more to infantry combat than armored. It seems to create real 'funnelling' and 'fanning' effects as larger groups of units move in and out of urban areas.

My biggest concern centers of LOS / LOF ranges. There is a wonderful mix of close-by dead ground and surprisingly long views in certain directions. It will definitely pay to check LOS carefully when siting units. Average ranges may still be way too long (which greatly favours the defense) but when we get to playtesting I expect to find out for sure.

Depending on what the other design people at Matrix say, I may be able to make the 'magic numbers' cited above editable by scenario designers so that they can play around with movement and LOS degradation themselves. This tends to be the kind of thing though that they like to be fixed....

Back to work! Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 3
- 11/14/2002 11:06:03 PM   
DavidW75

:D I really like what I'm hearing. I think for this scale it's a inovative idea. Of course as time goes on I'm sure we'ld all love to learn more about how it all works ;)
I agree about the urban warfare aspect. I know the Soviets wanted to try to avoid it, but it would have been impossible espcially in northern Germany. I've attached a clip from a map of the Minden area along the Wesser R west of Hannover, as it shows it's densly populated

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 4
- 11/15/2002 1:45:18 AM   
byron13

First of all, who was/is General Mud? Must have been a 3d ID CG.

Delays at bridges. Would depend on how you're traveling. If you're road marching, and your company column is two Klicks long, then one minute delay sounds fine (though I'm not sure how you show the 2 km column length). But if you're moving cross country in line abreast formation, crossing a bridge would be a major delay. A simple way of viewing it is that, up until the bridge was reached, the company had fourteen tanks moving simultaneously (discounting bounding overwatch). Once the bridge is reached, you'd only have one or two tanks moving at a time. Depending on the situation, you may want to set up near side security/overwatch and, when a unit reaches the far side, you may wait for them to establish security. Regardless, crossing a bridge in a tactical situation is going to cause a delay - even if there is no chance of contact.

I'm curious as to what "cover" means. What is 90% cover in an urban environment? Obviously, a tank is unlikely to find true cover in a city and will, instead, be as obvious and vulnerable as a beached whale. Infantry, on the other hand, can easily find cover. At the micro-tactical level, infantry can easily find cover and vehicles cannot. At a higher level (uh, which I'll call tactical), and which I guess is the way you're using the term, cover probably means more like concealment, and infantry and armor would each receive high "cover" in a town. At this level, cover means I can't see the tank or the infantry 500 meters away, therefore cannot kill them, and therefore they have cover. Depending on what scale your viewing this, the differences are drastic. I think your game is at a scale where we're talking about being able to see the guys 500 meters away because they're parked behind the gasthaus, in which case you're numbers aren't off.

There are few places where infantry can't find concealment and limited cover. There's always a ditch, hedgerow, wall, etc., to hide in or behind, and infantry, like their rodent brethren, will quickly find it. Infantry can find concealment where vehicles absolutely cannot. I don't know how you account for this difference unless infantry has an inherently hire defense factor (or something) that accounts for their ability to go to ground in almost any terrain. In broken terrain, dismounted infantry could disappear, while a tank platoon would be like a pink elephant hiding behind a lamp post. So giving an across the board 20% or 50% cover factor may not work. (Of course, I have not factored in the infantry's vehicles). And, once again, this is more of a concealment issue than a cover issue.

Blah, blah, blah. Guys, I'm just bored and want to play this game.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 5
- 11/15/2002 3:26:09 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidW75
[B]: I agree about the urban warfare aspect. I know the Soviets wanted to try to avoid it, but it would have been impossible espcially in northern Germany. I've attached a clip from a map of the Minden area along the Wesser R west of Hannover, as it shows it's densly populated [/B][/QUOTE]

Crikey, that's complicated terrain! What scale are we looking at there? I presume all the dots are individual houses and buildings? It sure doesn't look like good tank country to me at any scale!

The Soviets were pretty confident at making 25 km or more a day through northern Germany but I find that hard to believe after looking at maps like this. The only way to keep control when moving through such complex topography is to slow down - way down - otherwise all military order would simply disintegrate! If there was any defense at all, it would bring everything to a screaching halt just to feel it out and come up with a solution.

Re your delicate hint for more info in this area - I wish I knew. I coded in a lot of rules and then twiddled with them quite a bit. In cases like that we try to lay a foundation of realistic constraints and then let the desired behaviour emerge as a necessary conclusion. 'Emergent behaviour' gives game designers lots of warm fuzzy feelings and is considered a good thing to have.

The downside is that it can make it hard to say why something happened the way it did. In this case I have a flat rate delay when crossing a bridge, but as Byron very astutely points out, it is nowhere near that simple in real life. I could reproduce some of the real life rules instead and let the correct delay just emerge but in this case I was just too lazy. Too much of a good thing can quickly become a debugging nightmare as inappropriate effects can emerge just as easily as the good, and like I said, it can be hard to say why something happened the way it did. You have to pick and choose these things carefully!

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 6
- 11/15/2002 3:47:17 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by byron13
[B]
I'm curious as to what "cover" means.

Blah, blah, blah. Guys, I'm just bored and want to play this game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Byron, I'm kinda bored at work today too. The 'hindrance' ratings are used in two ways depending on the context:

1. as "Cover" ratings, in this case short for 'cover and concealment' and is meant to be a rough (very rough) indicator of how much of a unit might be out of sight of an observer at any given moment. I'm not looking for extreme cases, just an indication of a central tendancy over a large number of observations. The higher the rating, the more hiding places there are and the more cover and concealment can be obtained by units interested in finding it. I consider forests and urban terrain to be much better for this than cropland and bare ground. I agree too that dismounted infantry will have a huge advantage and be able to find worthwhile cover and concealment where vehicles cannot.

Within a city a vehicle is completely visible to anyone nearby on the same street, but invisible to everyone else because of all the buildings in the way. This is a much more coarse grained kind of cover than a deep forest, but at this scale it works out to the same sort of number for me.

2. The rating is also meant to establish an outer limit to probable lines of sight / lines of fire ranges. Once the accumulated cover / hindrance ratings exceed 100% then the LOS is blocked. Again this is rough justice over a large number of cases. The ratings are kept high so that the average LOS is kept within what appear to be reasonable limits. Most of the map is cropland of various types and is really quite open - particularly when you are on a commanding height and can see over many of the terrain features that would otherwise block LOS. I need to play around with it some more to see if it is giving me the effects we are looking for. If it doesn't work, I'll scap it and try something else.

Right now I am working on the battle generator (ie ad hoc scenario editor) and mighty tedious going it is too! Some parts of the project are pure fun. This, sadly, is not one of them....

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 7
- 11/15/2002 5:34:23 AM   
jrcar

Thanks for all that Rob. Good comments from Byron as usual.

Urban terrain is very tough to handle, and one of the biggest bugbears in military grade simulations too. As soon as you start aggregating its very hard to adequetly capture the long range firelanes and short range ambush sites. MOUT (Manouvre Operations in Urban Terrain) is very tactical, and I would suggest its the tactical competence and leadership of the officers and SNCO's at Platoon and company level that will really make the difference.

Engineering assets also really come into their own. The Russians found that in Afganistan with attachmentments of sapper squads to platoons and sapper platoons to companies when operating in urban terrain.

On a side note this is one of the areas were we Australians feel we are very different to US and NATO forces. ALL of our projected operational areas are in complex terrain either urban or in "jungle".

A definition of complex terrain which I quite like is:

"complex terrain is where the first observation of the enemy occurs below the maximum engagement range of you weapon system. Open terrain is where you can observe further than you can engage." In our AO most engagements are initiated at below 100m...

Using that definition I think a lot of northern Germany would fit into complex terrain (years ago I read that the average engagement range in Western Europe was 500m?).

The aggregation issues is why many military grade simulations are moving to entity (individual tanks, squads of infantry) in their modelling. Aggregation can cause some funny combat results :)

H'mm looking back on this I really haven't helped much :) I too look forward to seeing how its implemented :)

BTW I like the idea of moding the figures, but this needs to be carefully controlled. Maybe when building a scenario you can change these, but once built it cannot be easily modified?

Cheers

RobC

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 8
- 11/15/2002 10:27:28 AM   
Sabre21

Byron

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the famous Russian General Mud. He's the one that help beat the Germans leading up to the battle for Moscow:)

Sabre21

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 9
- 11/15/2002 1:46:44 PM   
DavidW75

Yeah it's not fun terrain. That's why I've found it is so interesting. . For instance, the map I uploaded earlier was 1:200,000. Between Bad Oyenhausen and Minden is 9km. You have a major river, a dominant ridge and very populated terrain all near a key operational location. To the west southwest lies the Ruhr, northwest of here is good ground to advance into the Netherlands, southeast is Hameln and ground that favored NATO on the defense.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 10
- 11/16/2002 7:34:01 AM   
byron13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jrcar
[B](years ago I read that the average engagement range in Western Europe was 500m?).
[/B][/QUOTE]

This figure is suspect. Today, I'm not bored but argumentative. I suppose if you sat down at a map and determined grid square by grid square what the engagement range would be in that grid square and then averaged all grid squares in Germany, it might come out to 500m. But the defender gets to select his defensive position and, therefore, his engagement ranges - or at least the initial engagement range. Even in the Frankenwald where we were, which would probably be broken terrain in a macro sense, we didn't settle for no stinkin' 500m shots. We (stop laughing, Sabre!) had M60s. They were twice as large as Soviet tanks and half as fast. If they ever got within 500 meters, we were decisively engaged and could not withdraw. We either killed them or they killed us. So we would give up a couple of kilometers of ground before we settled on a position that only had 500m shots. But, after I jabber all of this, the player has the same option. There will be great positions and lousy positions in the game and, as in real life, a player will look for the good positions that provide more than 500 m. So ignore all of this.

There are some places like the North German Plains where there are a lot of truly unobstructed, long-range shots. If you look on a 1:50,000 map, it looks like there are lots of 3000m shot wherever you go. When you get to that spot on a map, however, there are commonly numerous obstructions that, while individually immaterial, collectively add up to a degraded LOS/LOF. At Fort Knox, they drove this home by having everyone plan an assault over particular ground on the map, and then they would take you to the spot, and everyone would realize that their overwatch plans would not work because there were a billion trees and bushes that don't show on the map (the objective was to show that map recons were dangerous).

I guess this is all a way of saying that it is rare to find Kansas in Germany with a genuinely unobstructed shot. The best description in game terms that I can think of is that every 700 to 1000 meters or so, there is a linear obstruction of, say 3 meters in height. These would generally be some kind of hedge line that runs along a minor tractor trail that divides fields and would not show on a map. They are not trees and are not as high. If the terrain is perfectly flat, they obstruct your view. If you are any kind of a hill, they may obstruct the view to the base of the hill, but you would have unobstructed shots to other, even slightly raised areas. I'm not sure that you could put this into the game, and you certainly could not do it without indicating on the map that there is some obstruction there (e.g., a green squibbly line on the map) or giving the player some other indication that what appears to be an unobstructed view in fact is not. I don't know if you're using some kind of LOS/LOF indicator that will shade obstructed v. unobstructed views or not. But that is the reality and it did make positions that looked good on a map worthless in fact. I guess this is your mixed open category.

The thing is, though, that there is a real difference between (i) an LOS/LOF obstruction between you and the enemy and (ii) cover in at your own location that obstructs the enemy's view of you. You may be in the middle of a field with not a pebble or twig for cover in any direction for 500m. However, at 500m, there are hedges that completely surround you. So, while someone 1000m away may not be able to shoot you at all, there would be no defensive bonus whatsoever against artillery or someone shooting at you within 500m. Thus, there is a real distinction between cover at your location (which would provide a defensive bonus against both direct and indirect fire because a round of munition or shrapnel may pre-detonate, ricochet, be blocked, etc.) and an LOS/LOF obstruction that would only effect sighting and direct fire weapons. Given the effective range of modern direct fire weaponry, this is an important distinction. Again, not sure what you can do with this.

Would pictures of the German countryside help at all, or do you have a pretty good idea of what you're dealing with? Sabre's probably got some good shots from the air (even if only from 10 feet!), and us wingless types may be able to provide some other pictures that would help. There are very few spots in the U.S. that I think approximate European terrain. In my mind, Germany is either town, woods, or open fields with some kind of low crop. That's it. There isn't much that is in between that would be "broken" terrain. Over the millenia, they've cut down every tree in the fields and have left wood lines intact that have remained so for ages. I think there are fewer random obstructions in the middle of a field than we have in the U.S. I think this is because they have such limited land that they actively farm everything that isn't woods or town. There aren't any areas that were farmland fifty years ago but are now starting to grow over. You don't have houses in the middle of fields with a grouping of trees around them nor do you have shade trees for cattle sprinkled here and there. Every structure is within a well-defined town. Once you leave the last house in the town, you are in a field. There is a very distinct demarcation, and the fields go right up to the town perimeter. I also saw very few orchards where I was at, though hops grow very high and I guess vineyards might count.

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 11
- 11/17/2002 1:31:18 AM   
DavidW75

This is a picture I found on a web site that I should have bookmarked. It was a German tourism site for of all things the old Blackhorse OP Alpha norhteast of Fulda. It seems they saved this little spot of Cold War history. Good for them, and us:D
Anyways I thought it went well with our discussion of terrain and line of sight in Germany.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 12
- 11/17/2002 1:40:50 AM   
DavidW75

Found it:)
http://www.pointalpha.com/English/english.html

(in reply to DavidW75)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Terrain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI