Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mud offensive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Mud offensive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mud offensive - 5/2/2011 4:35:32 PM   
Aussiematto

Small tip for German players (and I guess in defence for comrades); apologies if we've already been through this here....

Just finished a game (by capitulation) in the mud of fall 1941. Had almost encircled moscow in the last clear turn and the defence wasn't that strong. Had given up and was waiting for snow. Then tried a couple of attacks elsewhere in the mud just to see what would happen and, voila!, they worked. Basically, by deliberate attacking with strong division or divisions plural, and picking units in no fort / fort 0 which had very low morale and 1 CV (and having some idea of the weakest units from previous attacks) I was able to get odds that,even with the massive mud reduction got me a retreat or rout.

I returned to the moscow front and started to move units rather than wait out the mud. Fortunately I had one panzer corps at full supply from HQ buildup. Careful planning against a tight defence, use of aerial bombardment, massing of support units etc, I got some key units to retreat and moved in. Then found a use for my Fallschirmjaeger -- airdropping into the hexes I couldn't reach with ground troops. The following turn, more of the same and my opponent graciously conceded.

So, it's not going to work most of the time, but it's worth remembering that mud does not = stop :).

Plus I love my paras...!

I still remember cardboard!
Post #: 1
RE: Mud offensive - 5/2/2011 6:19:38 PM   
Redmarkus5

What version were you using? I just played through the mud phase of '41 using version 1.04.14 and all combat values, including panzer/tank, for both sides fell to 1 or 2 as soon as the mud arrived.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 2
RE: Mud offensive - 5/2/2011 6:43:04 PM   
sillyflower

I'm using 1.04.14 and it seems to me that mud combat is unchanged from previous version although counter values change. Having no difficulty in mopping up a large pocket though it will take 3 turns due to sheer size.

I think this is WAD as mud just cut attack value by factor of 8

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: Mud offensive - 5/2/2011 7:21:02 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower
<SNIP>
it seems to me that mud combat is unchanged from previous version although counter values change
<SNIP>

As written in addendum - there was only display issue before where CVs were erroneously shown higher that then should have been due to mud - the actual true CVs were correct an, thus, nothing actually changed from before regarding "mud combat"...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 4
RE: Mud offensive - 5/2/2011 9:09:57 PM   
Aussiematto

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

What version were you using? I just played through the mud phase of '41 using version 1.04.14 and all combat values, including panzer/tank, for both sides fell to 1 or 2 as soon as the mud arrived.

quote:

on as the mud arrived.

The mud attacks ONLY work against very weak units and only if you have the enemy on the ropes or there is a specific thing you want to achieve before winter. You just have to try it and see. If a weak Sov unit with an unmodified CV of 10 then goes through the hell of failing leader check, has not terrain/fort advantage and is bad morale it will go down to 1 or 2, and so a 80 attack, cut by 8, will still do for it. I guess my idea was just that up til now I've basically stopped all offensive action whatsoever in mud, even trying to take out surrounded cities, but perhaps there's a rethink, depending on the precise situation.

Then again, I am the crazy eddie of germans :)

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Mud offensive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI