Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone else play background music while playing PC?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Anyone else play background music while playing PC? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/6/2011 12:15:30 AM   
HintJ

Anyone here have a favorite type of music playing while you ponder your next turn?

Anticipating PC:O, I was playing Panzer Command Kharkov, and while I was setting up my moves I was listening to this:
Beethoven: Piano Sonata #14 In C Sharp Minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZS2nN3NKM0&feature=related

Another good one:
Arvo Pärt Fratres for Strings and Percussion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em66qzGfC1I

In fact you can get these song (and 97 other excellent background songs) for only $0.99!

Not to advertise, but this really is a good deal:
http://www.amazon.com/99-Darkest-Pieces-Classical-Music/dp/B0048NUUS2/ref=sr_shvl_album_1/177-3204823-6971933?ie=UTF8&qid=1302044154&sr=301-1

*edit, and you might also notice the song from the movie Platoon or the CMBB theme song is included, among many, many others!

< Message edited by HintJ -- 4/6/2011 12:21:49 AM >

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/6/2011 2:33:21 AM   
rickier65

I mostly let the music from the game play, though I might try some of your suggestions.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/6/2011 3:46:38 AM   
Richie61

Sabaton does some nice "war songs" that I like to use

Sabaton - Panzerkampf (The Battle Of Kursk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeqzHJRxC0&feature=related

Sabaton - Ghost division (France 1940)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5V6sxZ8-eg&feature=related

Sabaton - Panzer Battalion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-b_mGV1sds&feature=related

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/12/2011 10:30:07 PM   
Hellmann

I tried listening to Sabaton a couple of years ago (on a recommendation of a friend) when we used to play Steel Fury Kharkov 1942. Couldn't get into it... mostly because their songs were all about fighting for Mother Russia! Way too anti-German for me hehe!

I used to listen to John Peel so I appreciate all sorts of music, but the music I found that goes best with wargames for me are film scores. Jerry Goldsmith or Alan Silvestri springs to mind. Anyway, these are the main albums I like to shuffle tracks from when I'm "on the battlefield"...

Lalo Schifrin - Kelly's Heroes
Ron Goodwin - Force 10 from Navarone
Ron Goodwin - Where Eagles Dare
Ron Goodwin - Operation Crossbow
Jerry Goldsmith - The Blue Max
Jerry Goldsmith - The 13th Warrior
Jerry Goldsmith - Patton
Jerry Goldsmith - Von Ryan's Express
Alan Silvestri - Beowulf
Alan Silvestri - Van Helsing
Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian
Hans Zimmer - Gladiator
Hans Zimmer - King Arthur
Jeff van Dyck - Rome: Total War
Dragon Age: Origins soundtrack
Curd Jürgens - Drinking Song from The Enemy Below (from my Gramophone in Silent Hunter IV)

PS: almost forgot... but... too obvious maybe...? Heh, of course, 'Panzerlied' (Battle of the Bulge version). I bet I'm not the only one here who's played that a few times over the years as our tanks are rolling into battle? :D

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/13/2011 11:29:17 PM   
HintJ

quote:

Jeff van Dyck - Rome: Total War

I've noticed you can get most of Jeff van Dyck - Rome: Total War songs for free from his website--very talented composer!

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/14/2011 1:15:38 AM   
Hellmann

I hadn't noticed! Not looked at his site for quite some time now, thanks for the tip! Well, I suppose he might as well give his game-specific tunes away... seeing as they're already freely available inside the games. I mean, what I did was rip (using the modding tools on twcenter) all of his game tunes directly from the data files in the Total War games I bought, which were already in a high-bitrate mp3 format. So, if there's any missing Total War tunes on his site, anyone is always free to do that! Yes, he's a marvelous composer, I'm glad someone here appreciates his work. His wife Angela is a good singer isn't she? BTW I like your music selection, especially Beethoven. Cheers!

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/14/2011 1:32:27 AM   
amps63

I always listen to background music when I play. Current favorites are Trail of Dead: Tao of the Dead and Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 1:02:03 AM   
Hellmann

Nice atmospheric music there, good choice I love it!!

Hey, just had a thought... for those of you who like to play the German side... If you like Rammstein then you'll probably like this similar band I discovered last year... couldn't find a high quality album upload on youtube (for obvious reasons probably) but this live version of Unheilig's Unter Feuer was the next best thing I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEqyMJOtctA

And now, here's some real music to my ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59msUnyy1g

Now, what you need to do is this: in your browser open up a new tab/window and open the first link, then in the second tab/window open the second... (or just "middle mouse" both links) so they play simultaneously!

What do you think... good battle music??

Been playing that song while playing Achtung Panzer Kharkov 1943... watching my panzer grenadiers at work and on the move in their halftracks. And if you listen to the album (Grosse Freiheit) version of Unter Feuer the drumbeat sounds like an MG-42??

hehe sorry for rambling on... hope you like it?

(in reply to amps63)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 4:16:56 AM   
Yoozername

I thought it was irrelevant.

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 4:30:47 AM   
Hellmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

I thought it was irrelevant.

*Your* opinion is irrelevant here, stainwank, so **** off. I thought that was clear by now. Normal people are entitled to their opinion.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 4:31:42 AM   
Yoozername

You sound like a nazi.

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 4:43:22 AM   
Hellmann

Perhaps to you, a retarded demented moron I might sound like a nazi, but I am not a nazi. In fact, i think YOU sound like a nazi.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 4:46:41 AM   
Yoozername

You're the one trying to enforce rules and say who gets to say what.

Are you related to anyone that has been on the winning side of a war?  Was your dad a cross eyed russian rapist?

You seem like an angry nazi, to tell you the truth...

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/19/2011 5:15:17 AM   
Hellmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

You're the one trying to enforce rules and say who gets to say what.

Are you related to anyone that has been on the winning side of a war? Was your dad a cross eyed russian rapist?

You seem like an angry nazi, to tell you the truth...

I am not responding to you, but to the owners of this forum. Can somebody in charge please explain to me how cowardly internet bullies like Yoozername are allowed to post statements like this and get away with it? I completely understand there will always be sick, twisted individuals in the world, I don't have any problems with that whatsoever. But in (what I thought was?) a civilized forum do we really need to be subjected to reading posts like this?

What escapes me is why these bullies are allowed to *blatantly and consistently* break and disrespect forum rules? From what I've been reading on this forum so far, it would seem he appears to relish making bizarre personal attacks on people he doesn't know, yet nothing is ever done about it. So yes, I think we all understand that somebody has granted internet access to a psychiatric ward or the local state prison, we get that. But why do you allow these criminals to indulge their twisted pleasures here? I would agree to a point that yes, his demented rantings do make for some amusing light entertainment as he consistently shoots himself in the foot, but even so... for his own sake I think as forum owner there needs to be a little more responsibility on the moderation side of things here, no? Thanks for listening.

< Message edited by Hellmann -- 4/20/2011 2:37:43 AM >

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/20/2011 12:05:43 AM   
HintJ

Dead Can Dance - Song of the Sibyl

I love listening to this while playing also--great ambient music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQuaf-_ErE&feature=related

- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to Hellmann)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/20/2011 2:47:07 AM   
Hellmann

I love DcD! Amazing tune, thanks! Ah yes... first song of theirs I ever heard was The Carnival is over, given to me by an ex girlfriend some 15 years ago... she made a mixtake for me and I made one for her... happy memories!

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/20/2011 4:59:05 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

Dead Can Dance - Song of the Sibyl

I love listening to this while playing also--great ambient music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQuaf-_ErE&feature=related

Dang, but that struck me as being pretty bleak, a dirge of sorts.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/20/2011 10:53:02 PM   
HintJ

Well, I like happier music also, but for playing a game based on east front, I think music for a scary movie is better. I spend most of the time planning PC looking around at the beginning and ending of phases at ground level, so there really isn't much noise coming from the game itself.

- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/20/2011 11:46:59 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Years ago, I played Silent Hunter III, RT, pretty much all day long in my home office. I armed the "Victrola" with MP3 from here: http://ingeb.org/WWIIc.html . My boat could sail along for days at a time, with no contact, and the music helped remind me that the game was still running. I found that it was a good idea to mute the audio when I had a customer on the phone!

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone else play background music while playing PC? - 4/21/2011 12:05:26 AM   
HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Years ago, I played Silent Hunter III, RT, pretty much all day long in my home office. I armed the "Victrola" with MP3 from here: http://ingeb.org/WWIIc.html . My boat could sail along for days at a time, with no contact, and the music helped remind me that the game was still running. I found that it was a good idea to mute the audio when I had a customer on the phone!

Wow! Someone who actually plays Silent Hunter w/out time compression! Talk about 1:1 representation. Somebody once said he let SH play in real-time while he slept at night because he loved the sounds inside a submarine!

- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Anyone else play background music while playing PC? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI