Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ghost Division

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Ghost Division Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 3:57:09 PM   
EUBanana

I unfortunately have a bit of a showstopper or semi-showstopper in PBEM - almost an entire division just landed ashore at Port Blair with massive support has vanished into the ether. Which is pretty bad, as it totally unhinges the biggest operation I've ever attempted in this game...

Attached is the save file... 41st Infantry Division at Port Blair, you will notice that almost the whole div is missing, theres just a few fragments aboard the boats.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 3:59:31 PM   
EUBanana

Here's the turn before, where you can see the division settled in at Port Blair prior to its disappearance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 2
RE: Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 7:48:39 PM   
PresterJohn001

I like to think that they got scared and jumped into the Indian Ocean.... but there is something odd happening... i'm using 1.04.1106i as the glorious japanese empire....

of note during my combat replay i hit Bunker Hill with a sub torp and got a Fuel Explosion .. i thought i saw a troops re-embark message at Port Blair... when i reran the cbt replay i got a slightly different version of events....

< Message edited by PresterJohn -- 5/8/2011 7:49:58 PM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 10:22:13 PM   
michaelm75au

The invasion attack failed. There is a message in the Ops report for Allies.

quote:

TF 235 re-embarks landing force at Port Blair and retires

If the Allied attack value x5 < Japan defence value, there is a chance that the invasion will be cancelled and as much of the squad devices reloaded onto the ships.
Japanese attack is more aggressive with a higher factor (doubled I think).

Michael

(in reply to PresterJohn001)
Post #: 4
RE: Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 11:13:40 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The invasion attack failed. There is a message in the Ops report for Allies.

quote:

TF 235 re-embarks landing force at Port Blair and retires

If the Allied attack value x5 < Japan defence value, there is a chance that the invasion will be cancelled and as much of the squad devices reloaded onto the ships.
Japanese attack is more aggressive with a higher factor (doubled I think).

But the division is gone. All bar a tiny fragment. And its not an atoll. They also landed one turn beforehand, they only attacked on day 2.

And the attack value was only 1 to 2, not 1 to 5.

Possibly the bulk of the division vanished and then the remnant got reloaded. But the fact remains that about 330 AV has vanished into the ether.

I've seen cocked up atoll invasions, had plenty of those, and not even those resulted in anything like this.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/8/2011 11:16:48 PM >

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
RE: Ghost Division - 5/8/2011 11:46:18 PM   
PresterJohn001

i'm pretty sure I (the Japanese) didn't have 5x the allied AV

add:

Can you have sync problems if you both have the same version?

This is quite an important point in the game and if the allies retreated fair and square then its a big Japanese victory (somehow), however if theres some game issue going on then its a game altering (delaying) ?bug? for the allies.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by PresterJohn -- 5/9/2011 12:26:43 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 6
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 12:27:54 AM   
EUBanana

apparently our combat reports are not matching up properly either, so I'm thinking it might be the dreaded sync bug...

in which case it really couldn't happen at a worse time. 

Post #: 7
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 5:05:12 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn

i'm pretty sure I (the Japanese) didn't have 5x the allied AV

add:

Can you have sync problems if you both have the same version?

This is quite an important point in the game and if the allies retreated fair and square then its a big Japanese victory (somehow), however if theres some game issue going on then its a game altering (delaying) ?bug? for the allies.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

When the check was done the allied value was in low 20's while the Japanese was 100+. The random chance is improved with a good TF leader (land, aggression, skill) and HQ in TF that is prepared for the target. Presence of AGC and Amphib HQ (when available) would also help.

I originally thought that this might have been a case of the TF taking 33 days to unload. Due to a bug, the amphib TF was having its counter clicking over to 99 which is the value to ambandon a landing.
However, that was not the case - the counter was only up to 6.

Michael

Post #: 8
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 5:26:53 AM   
michaelm75au

Observations on first save:
There are no heavy weapons or artillery landed yet.
Support is still in the ships but it gets counted regardless.
The unit has disruption of 99 which severely hitting its AV.

Does landing cause 99 disruption????

< Message edited by michaelm -- 5/9/2011 6:11:38 AM >

Michael

Post #: 9
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 5:49:42 AM   
erstad

quote:

When the check was done the allied value was in low 20's while the Japanese was 100+.

Michael, I assume the check is after the ground combat phase?

Reason I ask is that OP talked about a 1:2 failed ground attack (which in AE terms means between 1:2 and 1:3). So I would assume losses, disruption, and fatigue would be higher when the re-embark check is made than they were during the 1:2 combat.

Post #: 10
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 6:10:39 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

When the check was done the allied value was in low 20's while the Japanese was 100+.

Michael, I assume the check is after the ground combat phase?

Reason I ask is that OP talked about a 1:2 failed ground attack (which in AE terms means between 1:2 and 1:3). So I would assume losses, disruption, and fatigue would be higher when the re-embark check is made than they were during the 1:2 combat.

The check is done as part of landing. If the forces being put ashore can't overcome the enemy, it tries to save the forces by not landing anymore and pulling the non-vehicle, non-gun others back. At least that is how it reads.

Michael

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 11
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 6:52:23 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

Here's the turn before, where you can see the division settled in at Port Blair prior to its disappearance.

Do you have the save just before it loaded into the Amphib TF?

I am curious to see what its disruption was before landing. If it was 99 or thereabouts, then the LCU will behind to start with. It is possible that if the trip to the invasion site was long, the troops would gained some disruption daily (for example 0-2 if on an AK)for being on a ship.

The unlanded portions have a disruption in the mid to high 90s. I suspect that the Div started off with high disruption before it loaded onto the ships, or the troops were on the ships for a very long time (assume 1 point aday, then 90 days).

Michael

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 12
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 7:19:44 AM   
EUBanana

Mmm, ok, the landed division, before the attack, had disruption 99, this is true. It did come from a longish trip, this is true, so I guess that is it. I didn't realise they were so shagged up, I've had far longer waits aboard ship and never seen troops get so ruined.

However, the actual fight was by no means catastrophic, even with that.

Ground combat at Port Blair (46,58)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 9570 troops, 132 guns, 163 vehicles, Assault Value = 370

Defending force 7201 troops, 100 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 173

Allied adjusted assault: 69

Japanese adjusted defense: 177

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 5)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
541 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 40 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
252 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
41st Infantry Division

Defending units:
74th Infantry Regiment
82nd Naval Guard Unit
94th JAAF AF Bn
52nd Field AA Battalion
53rd JNAF AF Unit
23rd JAAF AF Bn
26th Air Flotilla
55th Field AA Battalion
11th Special Base Force /5

If this is some code thing thats trying to save the troops it's doing a very bad job! It's gone from 252 casualties to complete annihilation. It's not even the day of unloading, this is a day after unloading, so it's not like there was any rush or anything, not like a shock attacking atoll.

If this really is working as intended all I can say is, do not attack until the ships have gone I guess because if they decide to get back on board they'll all be dead...

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/9/2011 7:21:34 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 7:24:01 AM   
EUBanana

Mmm ok.  It looks like the entire division has been disabled but not killed. So it's got AV 8, but a whole bunch of disabled squads. I guess they loaded back on the ship, but all I can say is, holy ****.  What a frickin' idiotic rule.  I got no idea what triggered that but next time I'm going to make damn sure there is no ships to retreat to, because if that roll comes up then total disaster awaits.

I just assumed it was a bug as a whole division melting after a combat result like that just seemed surreal.  I still think it's surreal, but it might not be a bug. 

I didnt expect a complete annihilation after a 1-2 combat result.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/9/2011 7:25:00 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 14
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 7:31:24 AM   
EUBanana

Actually, no, the disabled squads on the boats are I think merely the squads that havn't had time to unload yet, as when the div attacked it wasnt entirely unloaded, only had AV 240 ready.

There's about 120 AV of infantry on the boats, all disabled. So it still burned up 2/3rds of a division for no good reason.

I guess maybe thats as intended, though it still seems that "as intended" is totally surreal results to me.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 15
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 8:19:07 AM   
EUBanana

...and to add to the fun, the guys on the boats have <10 disruption and <40 fatigue, so I don't think it was the trip.

They just must have weirdly suffered 99 disruption on landing, I didn't realise they were so shagged given they were hardly scratched in landing, sent em in, and then their commander essentially decided to shoot 6000 of his own men in the back of the head after a failed attack in a fit of pique.

Maybe he's a Soviet. Maybe he thinks he's fighting WW1. I dunno. In either case, utterly surreal though it may be, if thats what's supposed to happen, so be it.

"I have reserves."

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 16
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 8:45:30 AM   
michaelm75au

If you look at the fragments still on the ships before the landing gets abandoned, you'll see that most of them are 90+ disruption.
Again, either it was a very long trip or the LCU started out with a high disruption before getting on the ships.

This has always been the case from my understanding, just the re-embarking is a new feature for AE.

Using the new LCU list feature, you can see what the Dis values were on the landing force.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 5/9/2011 9:01:22 AM >

Michael

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 17
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 8:46:02 AM   
witpqs

If squads were disabled either on the boat before landing or on the beach after landing they were only good for one thing - being destroyed. I don't call the code that pulls them out "idiotic".

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 18
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 9:08:01 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

...and to add to the fun, the guys on the boats have <10 disruption and <40 fatigue, so I don't think it was the trip.

They just must have weirdly suffered 99 disruption on landing, I didn't realise they were so shagged given they were hardly scratched in landing, sent em in, and then their commander essentially decided to shoot 6000 of his own men in the back of the head after a failed attack in a fit of pique.

Maybe he's a Soviet. Maybe he thinks he's fighting WW1. I dunno. In either case, utterly surreal though it may be, if thats what's supposed to happen, so be it.

"I have reserves."

BTW, I noticed that you have a amphib TF with troops on it just sitting in a sea hex with 'remain on station' set. The troops on these ships will be accumulating disruption also, so depending on how long they sit there, the troops might not be any good for landings.

Michael

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 19
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 1:26:09 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

If squads were disabled either on the boat before landing or on the beach after landing they were only good for one thing - being destroyed. I don't call the code that pulls them out "idiotic".

They were not disabled. Look at the screeny above. 240 AV.

From a timeline

Day 1
Infantry component of 41st Division lands, is very badly disrupted but is ashore essentially without opposition. Japs make no offensive move (and they are presumably badly disrupted too).

Day 2
The guns are still on the ship but theres plenty of infantry ashore, albeit badly disrupted. They attack the disrupted Japs, who are still sitting quietly in their dugouts. The attack fails, though its not a huge failure (2-1 against is the best 'fail' result, a 1-1 used to be a successful attack after all). The American firepower means the casualties are pretty even all things considered despite the poor Allied readiness.

...In the light of this, the divisional commander then goes off his rocker and decides to order an all out balls to the wall retreat, which gets half his men killed - presumably actually abandoned, in reality, as the Japs havn't actually attacked and the Allies were already ashore, there's no beachhead involved really - and the other half rendered combat ineffective for months. This is supposedly a defensive maneuver designed to save his men... And presumably because of the Allied 'chicken rule', as apparently the Japanese don't go in for this sort of panicked kill everybody rout order like the Allies do.

6000 men killed because a commander decided to abandon everything, even though his position wasn't compromised, because of this :-

Japanese ground losses:
541 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
252 casualties reported

That this is supposedly to save lives is ironic, its killed 6000 people totally needlessly. The Japs havn't even attacked. The Allies are not forced to attack, they can stay put until the Japs venture out of their dugouts to be slaughtered trying to push them into the sea. I could understand a pell-mell flee to the boats in the event of hitting an atoll shore where there is nowhere to retreat to. Or a pell-mell flee to the boats in the event of the Japs overrunning the landing fields. Neither of these is the situation, however. This was an optional Allied assault which failed, just, and apparently spooked the commander into maddening terror.

But OK. I assumed this madness was a bug. I guess it isn't, it's probably some more justifiable atoll assault code kicking in and producing weird results given they are landing on a pretty hefty island. It seems insane to me, but then General Stopford at Gallipoli was monumentally incompetent as well, so it's not like there isn't prior form for this sort of thing in war.

The war will go on.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/9/2011 1:34:41 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 2:59:50 PM   
erstad

quote:

I guess it isn't, it's probably some more justifiable atoll assault code kicking in and producing weird results given they are landing on a pretty hefty island.

I don't think this has anything to do with islands. I believe the same thing can happen landing on a coast.

quote:

6000 men killed because a commander decided to abandon everything, even though his position wasn't compromised, because of this :-

Japanese ground losses:
541 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
252 casualties reported

I think you might think the combat result is the cause for the retreat, I don't think that's exactly right. The retreat occurred during an unloading phase that followed the combat phase.

Where the combat may have played in is that the 240AV you had unloaded already had a fatigue of 42 (high) and disruption of 99 (very high). These guys were already well on their way to being combat ineffective. Fatigue would have been higher yet after the attack.

Had some of the troops rested a few days (in reserve mode) before trying to attack in their incapable state, results might have been different. Fatigue and disruption are huge factors.

And note it's not really a 1:2. Even with the shock you had only about 1/3 the adjusted AV of the Japanese. And if you figure the shock attack is perhaps a doubling, then you started with 1/6.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 21
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 5:05:57 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad
I think you might think the combat result is the cause for the retreat, I don't think that's exactly right. The retreat occurred during an unloading phase that followed the combat phase.

The problem I have with that is, if I didnt order the attack, they wouldn't have reloaded onto the boats, I'm pretty certain.

I think my attacking tripped some sort of 'run away' code - failed attack, disruption high, to the boats! no attack, no run away roll.

I've never seen anything this bad though and I've botched some atoll invasions horribly. I've had a regiment and support land on an atoll outnumbered, suffer 50% casualties in day 1, cling on by a fingernail for a week or two, and then somehow manage to win after relentless bombing/Japs running out of supply/reinforcements. That was a bad situation, alright, but the commander didnt kill his own men at least.

Maybe if the APs had stuck around and given him the chance to do so he would have.

quote:

Where the combat may have played in is that the 240AV you had unloaded already had a fatigue of 42 (high) and disruption of 99 (very high). These guys were already well on their way to being combat ineffective. Fatigue would have been higher yet after the attack.

Sure, but thats no reason to kill half your own men in a rout when the Japanese are in just the same state.

quote:

Had some of the troops rested a few days (in reserve mode) before trying to attack in their incapable state, results might have been different. Fatigue and disruption are huge factors.

Right, which is why a rout - from what? The Japanese hiding in their bunkers? - makes even less sense. If the Japs came out and inflicted some damage on me then I could understand. The Japs havnt done anything except exist and hide in their bunkers.

quote:

And note it's not really a 1:2. Even with the shock you had only about 1/3 the adjusted AV of the Japanese. And if you figure the shock attack is perhaps a doubling, then you started with 1/6.

Right, because I had disruption 99. So a regiment held off a division for a day despite being badly disrupted themselves. Well done Japs. Why that should result in a precipitious retreat, ordered by the Allied commander on the ground, which killed half their men, is beyond me. The Japs did not force that, the commander decided that.

It is a commander decision, michael already said that the Japanese commanders are stouter than the Allied ones so tend to give up less easily. It's not a combat thing - they've not been driven into the sea - its some sort of dice roll involving aggressiveness and state of troops after a fight presumably. Presumably the code went, ok, they are on a beach partially unloaded, they attacked, and they lost. The commander make a chicken liver roll, failed it, and decided to emergency evac onto the boats. Unfortunately an emergency evac means killing 6000 men. Nothing to do with the Japs driving them into the sea. It was an Allied attack. It's not an atoll, so its not a compulsory attack, they could sit tight. Sit tight or get massacred in an emergency evac? That this is presumably due to the Allies valuing the lives of their men and not wanting to press on against the odds is just more ironic, I mean, the commander has killed far, FAR more people than the Japanese could manage with that poor decision. This decision should be made to save lives, no? Not cause self-annihilation literally against the odds. This situation was not Dunkirk. There were not panzers bearing down on them and men paddling away on planks of wood to get away. Neither is it Tarawa, where is no space for the men at all and if they dont take ground they are stuck in the water. They landed. 24 hours passed with them unmolested. They attacked some bunkers, they were pushed back to the start line. Thats it.

The dude needs firing. I will fire him. In fairness his stats were poor and I should've replaced him in advance. He's a Stopford. Okay, numpties do exist in war. I'll put it down to that. In pixellated war land some time after the war he'll be shot dead by a crazed survivor who'se been wondering why, why, why.

I know weird things happen in AE but a division self immolating itself because its commander is apparently a wuss is one of the best I've seen yet.

As an additional irony I bet if I had ordered the boats to leave with the 41sts heavy equipment and simply not bothered even attempting to unload it, those 6000 men would still be alive and have gone on to take the island, as the numpty commander wouldn't have had the option of running away in the first place. Those 240 AV of infantry were already ashore, not in the process of unloading. It was the guns that were still unloading, thus putting the 41st presumably into the "shock attack happened while still unloading from the beachhead" category, and mayhem then ensued.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/9/2011 5:15:23 PM >

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 22
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 7:53:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

I was going by your post.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 23
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 8:28:37 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was going by your post.

Then I am afraid you misread, or I was not sufficiently clear.

Mmm ok. It looks like the entire division has been disabled but not killed. So it's got AV 8, but a whole bunch of disabled squads. I guess they loaded back on the ship, but all I can say is, holy ****.

ie, they did not vanish completely as I first though. They ended up back on the ships, 8 AV of actual AV, all the rest disabled, and about 60% of the division's infantry totally gone. I was referring to the remnants left on the ships after the turn when the bulk of the division vanished.

When they were on the attack they had no disablements at all, the division suffered almost 0 casualties in the landing itself, as they had 100 prep points.

Hence why I thought it was a bug. A 100 percent prepped division that outnumbered the foe by at least 3 to 1 in numbers suddenly disappeared in one round, and in my combat replay there wasn't actually a single message to suggest what had happened to them (I ran it again, no message - not sure if that was a sync bug or fog of war or not).

I thought this so incredible and so unexpected that it must have been a bug, hence this thread. Then a bit later I noticed that there were some bits of the division left, on the boats, just almost entirely disabled.

Apparently Gallipoli is coded into the combat mechanics. But TBH the Allies are such idiots, such numpties, that I'm never surprised at the Allied ability to snatch catastrophe from the jaws of victory.

At least in this case I'm relatively sanguine as at least a decision I made personally directly caused it, even if I still think it's pretty bonkers what happened. Watching CVs split up in all directions just for the hell of it and get massacred even when outnumbering the foe, or battleships get annihilated by waves of Long Lances while barely firing a shot, well, that is more galling, as there's nowt you can do about that. It's been a rough war.

Rereading earlier posts with a fresh eye as I was doing that...

"If the forces being put ashore can't overcome the enemy, it tries to save the forces by not landing anymore and pulling the non-vehicle, non-gun others back. At least that is how it reads. "

If its supposed to be saving your units from being annihilated its having precisely the opposite effect, it's massacred an entire division to "save" them when it should've just left them on the beach if it really wanted to save them. I consider it to be a weird, inappropriate and apparently malfunctioning rule - but not a bug, just weird rules having the opposite effect to what is apparently intended. If the div reloaded and that was that it would be a bit weird but understandable, but slaughtering half your men for the giggles seems to be broken game mechanics to me. Though within the bounds of reality I suppose, Dieppe and Gallipoli spring to mind. The irony of the rule being there to supposedly "save" them is not lost on me however, and its a bitter irony at that.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/9/2011 8:33:07 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: Ghost Division - 5/9/2011 10:30:34 PM   
Sardaukar

BTW, just a question, did you transport troops in Landing Crafts for longer period? Or were they in proper ships? Troops accumulate massive disruption when crossing ocean in LCIs etc..which is realistic.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 25
RE: Ghost Division - 5/10/2011 12:14:23 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

BTW, just a question, did you transport troops in Landing Crafts for longer period? Or were they in proper ships? Troops accumulate massive disruption when crossing ocean in LCIs etc..which is realistic.

xAKs and xAPs mostly, a few AKs/APs.

I dont use LCIs for divisional scale invasions, they are too small it seems to me, its better to just use masses of AKs/APs, like 20-40 per division or so.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 26
RE: Ghost Division - 5/10/2011 1:46:26 AM   
witpqs

You get additional disruption invading from xAK/xAKL/xAP.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 27
RE: Ghost Division - 5/10/2011 7:17:18 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

You get additional disruption invading from xAK/xAKL/xAP.

I know - however this is late 1943, there have been countless Allied invasions, mostly successful in the end, quite often unsuccessful at first. Disruption on landing is often a big reason why they are unsuccessful at first, especially if you don't have prep point time. Never seen anything like this before. Totally botched atoll assaults cause less casualties as a % of the units OOB than what happened here. We're talking 90% casualties if you include disablements after all. Not caused by enemy action but by the incompetence of their own coward commander! This is the key part. It's a commander decision, an 'abort mission' code. I think what happened here probably surpasses anything in the annals of warfare. I've seen totally and utterly botched atoll assaults and they do less damage to the men than your divisional commander suddenly getting an attack of nerves.

The disruption, I don't care about. That the attack I made failed, is totally OK by me. It's not the only time an Allied shock attack failed, it won't be the last time. The disruption is not the issue. It explains why the devastating Chicken Rule went into effect, is all.

It's the fact that the divisional commander then destroyed his division in order to save it which is the cracked bit. The intent of that rule, to save pixeltruppen lives, doesn't work - it's caused the most disastrous invasion in the whole game in terms of casualties, by far and away. I look at this event and just scratch my head. It makes no sense. WTF did the divisional commander do such an insane thing? He must like self harm or something.

Beyond extreme examples like the attack on Suvla Bay in 1915, I can't really think of many RL examples of such monumentally bad commander decisions causing this sort of carnage.

quote:

Nicknamed 'Hunter-Bunter', Hunter-Weston was a classic example of the stereotyped British "donkey" general — he was described by his contemporary superior Sir Douglas Haig as a "Rank Amateur", and has been referred to by modern historians as "one of the Great War's spectacular incompetents"[2] He was also referred to as "The Butcher of Helles" for his utter disregard for the welfare of his troops and his incompetent battle plans. Hunter-Weston was an advocate of the broad frontal assault made in daylight. When his plan of attack for the Second Battle of Krithia failed on the first day, he proceeded to repeat the plan on the second and third days. He claimed he was "blooding the pups" when he made the inexperienced 156th Brigade of the Scottish 52nd (Lowland) Division attack without artillery support during the Battle of Gully Ravine. Half the brigade became casualties, of which over a third were killed.

I assume the commander of the 41st was a callous, incompetent psycho like this chap. Commanders are occasionally such sorts. Though the Butcher of Helles only managed 50%.

Anyway whatever, its not a bug, we've already moved on with the game, and this thread is no longer talking about bugs. I guess this screwed up chicken rule is just another example of weird Allied incompetence that the Allied navies and armies occasionally suffer from.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/10/2011 7:34:44 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 28
RE: Ghost Division - 5/10/2011 7:29:56 AM   
witpqs

quote:

It's the fact that the divisional commander then destroyed his division in order to save it which is the cracked bit.

You are suggesting it would have been better off otherwise. I am not convinced, but it's your game. I certainly will not join your call to change that bit of code.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 29
RE: Ghost Division - 5/10/2011 7:35:06 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

You are suggesting it would have been better off otherwise. I am not convinced, but it's your game.

How on earth can you be not convinced?

Do you think that the Japanese could have killed that division by force of arms? I can assure you, the answer to that is 'no'. If the Japanese shock attacked on that turn as well they'd have been butchered too. A 99 disruption division attacked level 5 forts and got a 1-2, imagine what would have happened to the (also disrupted) Japs if they left their bunkers.

The combat report for the failed attack is up there somewhere, I've never seen a regiment cause a division to surrender in a single day, not even a clapped out Chinese division.

Mind you given some of the surreal conversations LoBaron has with castor troy I guess I'm not too surprised.

quote:

I certainly will not join your call to change that bit of code.

I'm not really calling for it to be changed, it's fairly minor really, but it is a cracked rule which doesn't do what it's intended to do, unless it's intended to do 90% casualties to Allied units due to commander cowardice.

< Message edited by EUBanana -- 5/10/2011 7:42:05 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Ghost Division Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI