Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"User defined OOB"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> "User defined OOB" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"User defined OOB" - 6/28/2011 2:19:57 AM   
BigDuke66

A lot people seem to miss the flexibility of editing their OOB the way it's used at the frontline(like WITE does it).
Problem in TOAW is it's already enough to move a unit within a formation to a different spot and you could break events and what the hell else.

My idea is to make a "User defined OOB" by making a second list similar to the original OOB but where the user can modify the order of it by moving formations up and down in this list and so allow them to sort this list the way the frontline looks or should look. By using commands similar to the "Previous formation" & "Next formation" the user could browse thru this list and see the formations highlighted on map and could so at least make the "position" of the formations adjustable.

Good example is the scenario(Götterdämmerung 1944-1945) I currently play, formations are on corps level and by using the "User defined OOB" I could move corps up & down in this list to match the way their order is on the frontline or like I want their order to be, the way OOBs are usual ordered it would allow me to put them under the command of a different Army or even Army group, now don't misunderstand this as it won't have any effect on the formation itself regarding game mechanics, it's a pure adjustment of the order within the new "User defined OOB".

Furthermore this list should be usable just like the original OOB with clicking on units and jumping to them, also I would like to see the mod the unit is in listed like it's on the formation screen as that would finally allow to track down units in rail mod that are overlooked.

So how useful does the community find this(especially regarding big & long scenarios) and even more important would it be possible to incorporate this into TOAWIII?

Post #: 1
RE: "User defined OOB" - 6/28/2011 2:26:10 PM   
Panama

When you say "put them under the command of a different Army or even Army group". This would be hierarchy or changing formations which, according to some, is blasphemy and would certainly have an effect on the the formation itself and game mechanics. On the other hand, if it were just cosmetic it wouldn't hurt to display it the way you want.

But wouldn't the hilighting thing confuse people? Units belonging to the same formation are hilighted already.

The 'dot' or '.' key will move the cursor to the next embarked unit and makes it disembark. It could be modified to simply move to the next embarked unit and NOT disembark it. 'ctrl' + '.' could be used for rail. 'alt' + '.' could be used for sea. 'shift' + '.' could be used for air.

Or maybe Ralph could do something with the user interface to give buttons. Especially since he isn't doing anything important. (just kidding of course)

It would certainly be nice to be able to list formations in the order they appear on the map. Make things a bit easier.

(bang for the buck reply will doubtlessly follow)

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: "User defined OOB" - 6/28/2011 7:29:05 PM   
BigDuke66

No not changing the formation but changing the order of the formations.
Again as example take my current scenario, usually we have the formations ordered like this:
Army Group
**Army 1
***Corps 1
***Corps 2
**Army 2
***Corps 3
***Corps 4

What I would like to do is change the order to this:
Army Group
**Army 1
***Corps 2
***Corps 3
**Army 2
***Corps 4
***Corps 1

As said the formation itself(the units within it) will not be touched as that would break game mechanics, simply the order of the formations is changed so that clicking thru the formations shows an order like they are at the frontline or like you want them to be, this would allow you to "plan" by moving the formation to a different point in the order and so knowing where you want it to be placed in the frontline.

And yes if Ralph could do the trick with the dot key it would be great.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> "User defined OOB" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI