Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant World Video Capture!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant World Video Capture! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant World Video Capture! - 11/11/2011 1:58:03 AM   
DasTactic

I thought I would experiment a little with RotS and try to take some video using Fraps. Unfortunately I can't get Fraps to capture the window. I'm reluctant to use CamStudio because Fraps does such a great job of combining in-game sound and microphone as well as allowing good framerates.

So the ideal is:
- Capture directly from game.
- HD 1280 x 720 ratio and pixels. (Can't do this - see below)
- Capture in-game sounds.
- Capture microphone.

If anyone else has had a play with this it would be great to get some perspective. :)

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Here is the best way I've found so far. You will need Bandicam for this. It costs $40 from www.bandicam.com but is the best of the video capture software I've seen. Fraps, an alternative to Bandicam, doesn't recognise the game window so you need to record the full screen which means massive raw video files and trouble cropping what you want later. Not fun. Camstudio really struggles with the framerate and the resulting video is very poor quality with a lot of skipping while it tries to pick up frames.

1. Change the Distant Worlds startup.ini file to:
screenwidth 1366
screenheight 768
(The minimum height for a screen before it defaults to full screen is 768 pixels. HD video is 720 pixels. So width needs to be 1280 x (768/720) = 1366)
My native screen size is too large for this sort of thing so the above settings will create the smallest window for the game at the correct aspect ratio.

2. Start Bandicam. It is best to start this before starting the game. The settings you want are:
General -->
- Select your output folder.
FPS -->
- Turn off the overlay. Otherwise it will display in the final video.
Video -->
- Under 'Record'
- - Unselect 'No Cursor'. We need to use the windows cursor in game.
- - Open 'Settings'.
- - - Primary Sound Device should be the default system sound (Win 7 Sound in my case).
- - - Secondary Sound Device should be your microphone.
- Under 'Format' it is easiest to just select a Preset. I'm going to be editing in Sony Vegas and so I chose the Sony Vegas preset - simple as that. :) There is a YouTube preset but I'd be wanting to edit any footage first. In the end I did go with the YouTube preset because it scales the video to HD dimensions (1280 x 720) which makes things easier. I needed to override the Audio settings changing the codec to 'PCM' so I can still bring the footage into Sony Vegas later.

3. Start the game. It should now start in windowed mode because of the settings in step 1. Progress the game past the video introductions. Make sure no other screens are likely to appear over the game window.

4. Back to Bandicam, click the 'Target' button and choose 'Rectangle on a screen'. A rectangle will appear on your monitor which you can drag around and resize - not that we will need to bother with that.

5. Right-click the head area of the rectangle and it will bring up a menu. The settings I chose were:
Always on top
Opacity --> 60%

6. Right-click the head area of the rectangle again and this time select:
Size --> Find window.
Move the cursor around the screen and over the game window. A red box will appear around the edges of the game. Click to set the Bandicam rectangle to the size of the game.

7. Click 'REC' in the head area to start recording.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/13/2011 4:26:42 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 7:34:48 AM   
DasTactic

Found a good option. I'll update the OP with detailed instructions in case anyone else wants to capture DW video. :)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 9:11:07 AM   
Data

Planning on a let's play for this? I'm just saying it would be awesome if you'd do it

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 9:52:20 AM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Planning on a let's play for this? I'm just saying it would be awesome if you'd do it

Sort of I guess. I was thinking a video would be a good way to show aspects of the game and to show the approach different people bring to the game.

I was hoping there would be a number of us that would give it a go.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 10:52:10 AM   
Bingeling

It will be interesting to see what you can produce. I would not expect making a good game play video for demonstration purposes to be easy. But you managed to write my favorite AAR which has quite good scripting and focus, so you could perhaps manage to make one

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 11:15:22 AM   
Data

Ya, Das, we're all behind you on this one....waaaaay behind you
I'm a coward, I know

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 11:46:50 AM   
DasTactic

Here's the first one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrMC_gZa_Y

Another 2 loading in. I ended up just using the Youtube preset hence the lack of title screens etc. The small font size looks OK as well. All in all I'm quite happy with the results. Would be nice if the Matrix forums had a media embed setting to embed videos in the posts.

I've got to say, it was actually pretty simple once the settings are made. Highly recommend others give it a go (that means you, Data ).

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 12:12:54 PM   
DasTactic

Second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mtcvv_tcks

Third

http://youtu.be/JIulVAW8Ubs

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 12:20:07 PM   
DasTactic

Here's the Playlist from YouTube. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#grid/user/8AF02E8ABEE10F23

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 1:05:22 PM   
Data

Wohooo, will be watching this religiously
*ignores the hint without a hint of shame*

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 1:46:12 PM   
Bingeling

Not bad that first video. Not bad at all. It is fun to watch what others do

Just a hint of what I would have done different, to indicate style.

I would not have bothered to examine the mines too closely, but I would do the caslon hunt. I would click on the star of the system to see the system summary. It lists what resources are inside. Nice when hunting caslon in nearby systems. Once you know there is caslon, it is a matter of finding the correct planet (or if there are multiples) the way you did.

Also, I would never buy troops, I leave that to the AI. But I may buy a troop transport or two when I see that Ketarov nearby. I know the AI will load troops with troop transports on auto, and the AI will then notice the colony is low on troops and build more.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 4:03:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Outstanding.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 5:08:29 PM   
Igard

Superb job, Das. 

I did a video using Fraps at half size (I run on 1080p), but it was only a series of short captures. The resulting file sizes were quite large.

Looks like you've found a nice solution to this. Great work.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 7:49:16 PM   
DasTactic

Thanks for the comments :)

@bingeling: Good tip. I underutilise that summary. I'll add that to a future video.

@Igard: One of the tricky things with Distant Worlds is the size of the font. I was really trying to find a way to run the game as small as possible so the fonts were legible when viewed in the video. I like your video as it shows off the nice eye candy you created. I think if you use Bandicam it would be hard to go back to Fraps again. When I started this thread I thought Fraps was the pinnacle, but not any more.

I'll make a thread in the AAR forum once I do the next batch. Please keep the advice coming. While I'm playing I find it really difficult to think and talk so I'll most likely skip important things and/or screw up what I'm doing or saying (What was I thinking trying to build by pushing the 'B' key - this ain't Civ 5 ).

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 8:15:13 PM   
Bingeling

Is it hard to narrate the video afterwards? Just chat as you play? That would also allow you to edit a bit when you get advanced.

I was secretly hoping to hire you as a narrator if I ever get around to making a video

As for using that system view to find fuel, I use it quite a bit for exactly that purpose. For other resources I use the galaxy map. If I want a fuel source in an area I click the surround systems looking for systems with the fuel I need. In general I expect that players do a lot of stuff in quite difference ways once we look into it. That is why it is fun to watch introductory videos for a game I know rather well.

Btw, I would also have built the explorers by the buttons down left (where you hired troops). I usually build all ships that way. That build order screen scare me away, the AI adviser suggests new builds there, and now and then I end with more ships than expected. I am entertained by the adviser's silly build suggestions, so I like to get those messages

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 9:06:36 PM   
RooksBailey

That's great!  Gonna watch them tonight.  This is a good way to get some more attention for DW!  

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 10:39:13 PM   
Webbco

Haha, you're pretty passionate about not being human!

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/11/2011 11:05:56 PM   
Fishers of Men

Excellent work for your introduction to a new game. Your narration style is very pleasing and understandable. Are you a Kiwi? Your voice and accent is very similar to Elliot's. I will use these videos to teach my friend, who is a new player, how to begin. Keep up the good work!

FoM

Old............but very fast

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/12/2011 1:06:49 AM   
MartialDoctor

Thanks for the info, Das.  I had thought about doing something like this when Legends came out but I'm not too familiar with video capture.  Is it not possible to have the game full screen when doing this, then?

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/12/2011 1:12:17 AM   
DasTactic

I'm shifting the series across into the AAR forum...

Let's Play Distant Worlds RotS

I guess questions and suggestions about the content should now be asked over there while the technical discussion continues here.

@bingeling: I'm not doing any post production at all so the quickest is just to speak while I'm playing. I'm really pleasantly surprised at how quickly the uploads for YouTube can be made this way. I do get a little lost with my thoughts at times though.
Lol at the narrator comment.
Part 4 now goes over your suggestion and what you mention about resource finding is also what I do which is in part 5 I think.

@Webbco: Yeah, I guess I am 'anti-human'. I played my first umpteen games as the humans because I thought I would find them the most familiar but in the end it seemed that most other races just wanted to befriend them. Once I found how interesting it was to play as the other races I never looked back and the game is soooo much more fun.

@FoM: Close. I'm from over the ditch in Australia. Where I'd say 'apple', Elliot would say 'epple' - and as a New Zealander, Elliot would likely add an 'ay' to the end of it ('epple ay').

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/12/2011 1:21:59 AM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor

Thanks for the info, Das.  I had thought about doing something like this when Legends came out but I'm not too familiar with video capture.  Is it not possible to have the game full screen when doing this, then?

The instructions may look a little daunting in the OP, but really the process is nice and simple once you get going. I am so impressed with Bandicam - it really makes the process much easier and I haven't had any noticeable impact on my framerates.

It is possible to do the video full screen but just be aware that YouTube really is looking for a maximum height of 720 pixels. If your monitor is 1024 x 768 as an example then by all means, full screen capture would be fine. But if your monitor depth is much larger than 768 pixels then it would be best to capture from a window. The reason is that the fonts in DW are set to pixel sizes and are quite small. My monitor is 1920 x 1200 so by the time I take video capture and it gets reduced to 720 pixels high, the original fonts would be illegible.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/12/2011 1:22:17 AM >

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/13/2011 1:27:54 AM   
MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor

The instructions may look a little daunting in the OP, but really the process is nice and simple once you get going. I am so impressed with Bandicam - it really makes the process much easier and I haven't had any noticeable impact on my framerates.

It is possible to do the video full screen but just be aware that YouTube really is looking for a maximum height of 720 pixels. If your monitor is 1024 x 768 as an example then by all means, full screen capture would be fine. But if your monitor depth is much larger than 768 pixels then it would be best to capture from a window. The reason is that the fonts in DW are set to pixel sizes and are quite small. My monitor is 1920 x 1200 so by the time I take video capture and it gets reduced to 720 pixels high, the original fonts would be illegible.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant World Video Capture? - 11/13/2011 1:35:25 PM   
Wicky

Nice videos, I almost freaked out when my mouse cursor started moving all by himself :) Then I realized it was just the one in your video lol

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant World Video Capture! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI