Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tank armies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tank armies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tank armies - 11/9/2011 2:21:07 AM   
Hoooper

Is there any advantage in creating tank armies, apart from the sexy name? By winter 42, after the consolidation of the Red Army into corps has begun, there's usually a surplus of army HQs anyway, so wouldn't it make more sense to put the tank and mech units into spare combined arms armies and save the APs?
Post #: 1
RE: Tank armies - 11/9/2011 2:30:04 AM   
Mike13z50

One advantage to the tank armies is they have more support for fixing broken tanks.

Also:
11.2.4. Administrative Rating
The Admin leader rating is used for determining the actual number of movement points a unit will have during its turn, checking for repair of damaged aircraft and ground elements, determining the cost of attaching units to the leader‟s headquarters unit and determining fuel and supplies wastage as a result of air missions. When a motorized unit is performing an admin leader check, leaders of Tank Army, Panzer Army, or Panzer Corps HQ units involved in the admin leader check receive a +1 to their admin rating during the check. Admin checks are specifically affected by the actual number of support squad ground elements in the leader‟s HQ unit as compared to the HQ unit TOE (11.3).

(in reply to Hoooper)
Post #: 2
RE: Tank armies - 11/9/2011 9:35:40 AM   
herwin

Historically, Soviet tank armies had a specific mission as part of deep battle. That meant their leadership was good at doing certain things involving mobile battle and quite a bit less good at doing other things, particularly combined arms assault. Note also, a Soviet tank army was corps-sized and more handy to control. Whether these matter in the game is another issue.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 3
RE: Tank armies - 11/10/2011 3:43:00 PM   
Hoooper

Thanks for that, most helpful. I haven't managed to play a game yet where a tank army has performed its deep penetration role, largely I think because no matter how much you beat up a German unit it never routs. In one game I'm playing, I can attack a divisions with 700 men left with a giant army corps and it just strolls back a hex.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Tank armies - 11/10/2011 5:17:41 PM   
Baelfiin

/flex =p

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Hoooper)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tank armies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI