Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Refueling submarines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Refueling submarines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:25:29 PM   
Kursk1943

Finally succeeded in leaving one of my dear suubmarines stranded at open sea out of fuel... Is there any chance to refuel a sub at sea? Tried it with a replenish TF, did't work. Now it's at Midway Island but no fuel either, it can't dock because of port size...
Post #: 1
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:34:54 PM   
RogerJNeilson

You need an AS at the port and it needs to be supplied - then it will permit refuelling. You don't need to dock then.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 2
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:35:02 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Zimmermann

Finally succeeded in leaving one of my dear suubmarines stranded at open sea out of fuel... Is there any chance to refuel a sub at sea? Tried it with a replenish TF, did't work. Now it's at Midway Island but no fuel either, it can't dock because of port size...

If its at a port then just ship some fuel there and unload to the port. the sub can refuel whether it docks or not -- just more efficient if docked.

If it was at sea, I believe the only way would have been using an AS.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 3
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:35:54 PM   
pontiouspilot

It should be able to dock at Midway....you must have something else docked there. Simply undock the other, tie up the sub and refuel. I always leave a little fuel at Midway for such eventualities. You can only deliver fuel there with a small tanker due to port size. As I recall the "replenish at sea" not open to subs either.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 4
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:53:22 PM   
Kursk1943

Well...does not work for me. I have an AS at Midway loaded with 5526 supplies. The base has 1050 fuel, portsize is 1, I disbanded the sub and recreated the sub patrol TF, but no fuel. The fuel options "replenish from port and replenish by sea" are grayed out. Moving it to Pearl Harbour without fuel seems to be no viable option because to much sys damage will build up due to the long distance.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 5
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:57:19 PM   
Kursk1943

Pontiouspilot - that worked, I had a transport docked. When undocked, the sub could dock and refuel - halleluah! Thank you all for the advice!

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 6
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 6:59:05 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

You can also disband the sub and an AO at port and refuel it at the base screen.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 7
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 7:35:11 PM   
Kursk1943

Thanks Gräfin, will try this at Midway, because it takes ages to unload fuel there by tanker...

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 8
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/21/2017 10:55:53 PM   
Chris21wen

If a sub can refuel in port from a transport when it's undocked, effectively still at sea, why can't it refuel from a transport that is not in port?

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 9
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 1:56:11 AM   
BBfanboy

Transports will not give up their bunker fuel when they are disbanded in port, only when in a TF and NEVER to subs.
Subs can draw fuel from both tankers and AOs when they are disbanded.

I presume this simulates the tankers/AOs having a small tank of diesel fuel for the subs while xAKs and xAPs would not have such a fuel tank.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 10
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 2:03:31 AM   
Lawless1

It could also simulate the sub moored along side the tanker, or oiler

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 2:25:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

It could also simulate the sub moored along side the tanker, or oiler

Yes, but someone mentioned transports which subs could moor alongside but never refuel from.

If you are saying the sub can refuel from tankers and AOs while the sub is still in a TF, I agree with you (from my experiences) but the OP was having difficulty with that. Perhaps there was an ops points issue they did not notice.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 12
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 6:27:58 AM   
Kursk1943

BBfanboy, one of my problems was solved: I learned that a sub has to be docked in port to be able to take fuel. But what I still don't know is how to refuel a sub in open sea. I once had 4 subs out of fuel near Brisbane (having sent the small SS-boats from Pearl to Brisbane) and tried to refuel them first from a transport TF, then by a replenish TF, but that did not work. Xargun has mentioned that this could be possible using a AS, but I haven't tested it yet.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 6:46:23 AM   
Alfred

Submarines cannot be refuelled in a sea hex under any circumstances.

Alfred

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 14
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 11:21:11 AM   
Kursk1943

Thank you for the clarification!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 15
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 11:27:50 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

The Germans had 'milch cow' subs, who did nothing but refueling + resupply at sea. Wonder why nobody else developed this...

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 12:03:50 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Alfred

The Germans had 'milch cow' subs, who did nothing but refueling + resupply at sea. Wonder why nobody else developed this...

The German "milkcow" subs were developed to allow the rather short legged but numerous Type VII U-Boats to patrol further abroad. Most US and Japanese subs had pretty good range and didn't need to rely on a overlord player to watch the fuel gauge. The milchkuh subs had a pretty miserable attrition rate too. All ten were sunk.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 17
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 2:13:49 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Sailors are adept at jury-rigging all sorts of things to solve problems, so I am sure in the USN submariners could work up a way to pump fuel oil from one sub to another. The game does not model it because the need to do that should be nearly nil. In addition to refuelling the game wants you to RTB to simulate restocking food and giving the crew a few days off to shower!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 18
RE: Refueling submarines - 9/22/2017 8:41:29 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

quote:

Alfred

The German "milkcow" subs were developed to allow the rather short legged but numerous Type VII U-Boats to patrol further abroad. Most US and Japanese subs had pretty good range and didn't need to rely on a overlord player to watch the fuel gauge. The milchkuh subs had a pretty miserable attrition rate too. All ten were sunk.

They were lost because the Allies, recognizing their importance, targeted them with Ultra.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Refueling submarines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI