Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilot Pool against AI ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilot Pool against AI ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/13/2011 10:30:00 AM   
Rainerle

HI, I play a self modded game vs. the AI in version 1806. However the pilots I disband in Osaka seem to vanish as the ones I assign are very poor (30-40). Now I know the feature has been abolished in PBEM but vs the AI it should still be going, right?

On a different note: Could it be that the Katori class CL are missing their 2x2 torpedo tubes?

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
Post #: 1
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/13/2011 7:19:17 PM   
kmitahj

Didn't test it really but from what I can see pilots returning into pool are delayed by 15+Random0(31) days, that is you need to wait 15 to 45 days to get them available.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/14/2011 8:32:25 AM   
Rainerle

Hmm... that would explain it. Any idea if this is per pilot or per batch that I release into the pool?
Are named pilots assigned before unnamed ones from the pool are assigned?

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/14/2011 9:35:17 AM   
Rainerle

Played another turn. But if this is true it basically means that each turn I have to check the pilot quality by test assigning one pilot and then either continueing or reloading the game. And this probably after each pilot as I cannot be sure of the quality at the moment of assignement.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 4
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/14/2011 11:48:24 AM   
BPRE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Hmm... that would explain it. Any idea if this is per pilot or per batch that I release into the pool?
Are named pilots assigned before unnamed ones from the pool are assigned?

I believe delay is per pilot.

Named pilots before a new one is taken from the pool.

There seems to be one more factor involved. They lose 5 in experience when you disband the group.

Regards
BPRE

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 5
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/14/2011 4:13:01 PM   
kmitahj

Yes, it is random per pilot, and yes as BPRE said there is a drop in experience. Actually if "what I see is what you get" (again I didn't test it much) every pilot disbanded into pool is loosing 10% of its experience (+- rounding to integer values of course).

I guess both features are there to make creating airgroups with all 90+ exp. ueber-pilots a bit more difficult.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 6
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/14/2011 5:08:14 PM   
BPRE

Hi,

kmitahj is correct. I was a bit too quick assuming it was 5%. The group I tried with had experience between 41 and 50. I tried it again and with experience between 77 and 83 it dropped 8 or 9%. So it's 10% loss rounded up.

/BPRE

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 7
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/17/2011 8:54:16 PM   
Rainerle

So, if my training unit comes back afetr 90 days it will be filled by whatever pilots are left in the named pilot pool, then by unnamed pool pilots and then finally by the ones I wish to train. Is this correct? And every time I cycle them through the unit they will lose 15 +something days and 10% exp. What kind of feature is this?

(in reply to BPRE)
Post #: 8
RE: Pilot Pool against AI ? - 11/18/2011 11:03:18 AM   
kmitahj

Well, the common (mis)use of "disband to pool" feature - and the reason why it was banned from PBEM games I believe - was to transfer into pool your recon or transport pilots (which are quick to train up using their usual, safe missions) and then draw them from pool to fill the ranks of your fighter groups. Later into the war you could even decide to do the same with some of your army bomber pilots. As long as you play the AI it is up to you to decide if its fair or not but in PBEM...
In the early days players have used it even more aggressively as described in this thread: Why I DO like the named pilot pool, and how to "use" it in pilot training. Note that it refers to the 1.800 version of the game where the delayed pilots hurdle was apparently not yet implemented.

If you interested in efficient pilot training method then take a look at post #3 by Q-Ball in the Clarifying Japanese Pilot Training? thread or post #3 by wild_Willie2 in another question about pilot training... thread.
These posts describe variants of a method which may be considered "state of the art" (or close to) of pilot training in Classic WitP . Note that using it you do not have to disband training airgroup so you are not forced to wait 90 days for its comeback.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Pilot Pool against AI ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI