Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/6/2013 3:50:43 PM   
E.T.

This thread is for all simple questions that do not need their own threads.
Post #: 1
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/6/2013 3:55:45 PM   
Darkspire

Where do all the socks disappear to when I put them in the washing machine?

Darkspire

(in reply to E.T.)
Post #: 2
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/6/2013 3:58:30 PM   
Canute0

Please use an own thread even for simple questions.
Personaly i don't ready threads they got more then 1 pages to display.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 3
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/6/2013 4:17:53 PM   
E.T.

@Canute
I'm new to this game (Hello everybody!) and I have allready dozens of questions. As I don't want to spam your forums with too many newb questions, I thought that such a thread would be reasonable.

@Darkspire
A deep and philosophical question. I'll think about it and try to give you an answer as soon as possible.

1) How do I find out what my space constructions contribute to my empire and where there are bottlenecks? For instance, how do I judge the difference between a medium and a large mining station? I assume that the large one is supposed to mine faster and more efficent, but there seem to be no overview of the ressource output. Or how do I decide how many docking bases or cargo bases are necassry for my space ports?

< Message edited by E.T. -- 7/6/2013 4:19:19 PM >

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/6/2013 4:25:27 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Where do all the socks disappear to when I put them in the washing machine?

Darkspire

Hey washing machines get hungry too...it eats them of course.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 5
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 12:23:14 AM   
turtlefang

1. Regarding resources. Use the resource screen that shows the number of sources you have for each strategic and luxury resource. It will show the units in stock, the galactic demand, units in transit, and units unfilled. You literally have to learn how to read this one and act on it to get good at this game.

You will get a lot of recommendations on how many sources of each you need and have to find your own balance - and part of it depends on whether you start prewar or not. But I prefer to get the following as soon as I can - 10-15 steel, 10-15 calson, 4-5 each of lead, gold and iridium, and then at least one each of every other strategic resource. After that, I want to get at least three of each strategic resources as soon as possible.

2. Regarding big mining stations versus small mining stations. Again, my preference is to put four 4 mining extractors and 2 luxury exactors on each mining station; on a gas station, I put 4 gas extractors and 2 luxury exactors on each gas mining station. Part of this is just lazy on my part. It means I only need two mining stations - on gas and one mineral. Other people custom design a lot of different mining stations. I just find it too much trouble but that me. I also usually put 30 standard cargo bays on each mining station.

3. Regarding cargo bays on spaceports. Depending on who you ask, you actually need zero. I have never had the guts to do that and put 6 on a small station, 8 on medium, and 10 on a large. This fits with my personal belief that a spaceport needs cargo bays. But some pretty smart people have run some simulations here and determined that you actually don't have to have any.

Last, but not least, welcome to the forum. The people here are good folks who are more than happy to answer questions (I have posted a number and had a great response), so if you have any, I would encourage you to post. Most of the time, you will get a number of responses very quickly.

(in reply to E.T.)
Post #: 6
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 9:28:07 AM   
E.T.

@turtlefang
Thank you for your kind answer!

@Darlspire
Apparantly, the socks disappear in some kind of a wormhole which sucks them into another dimension. Now think about the implications here. If in our slice of reality two socks become one after washing them, it is only logical to assume that in the other dimension two socks become three! While our sense of basic trust in our world is being shaken after every wash cycle, their trust is strenghened every time. What we can expect on the other side of the washing machine drum is some kind of optimistic, utopian parallel universe where people know that they can expect more from their lifes, not less.

< Message edited by E.T. -- 7/7/2013 9:37:31 AM >

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 7
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 3:44:48 PM   
elanaagain

@darkspire they go seeking their sole-mates...

(in reply to E.T.)
Post #: 8
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 4:02:50 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

@darkspire they go seeking their sole-mates...

Oh, that's bad...bad....LOL.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 9
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 7:52:59 PM   
Mad Igor

register only to create this thread ?you have nothing to do with your life ? give me 5000$

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 10:51:47 PM   
elanaagain

OK, simple question: I want a fleet of combat "state" ships (not colonizer, not explorer, not supply ship) to stay at a planet (or colony) (or system) (or base) and attack any hostiles that come nearby, getting ready to attack my 'colony/base/etc. I want these ships/fleet to attack the enemy ships, not sit around playing cards while the planet/colony/system/base is attacked. To achieve this result, what settings would I give the ships in the design window, what settings/orders would I give to each individual ship, what orders/settings fleet posture would i give the fleet, and what empire settings would need to be in place to get this fleet to defend its assignment without constantly babysitting it. When would I put it on auto, or not? Thanks...

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 11
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/7/2013 11:55:27 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

OK, simple question: I want a fleet of combat "state" ships (not colonizer, not explorer, not supply ship) to stay at a planet (or colony) (or system) (or base) and attack any hostiles that come nearby, getting ready to attack my 'colony/base/etc. I want these ships/fleet to attack the enemy ships, not sit around playing cards while the planet/colony/system/base is attacked. To achieve this result, what settings would I give the ships in the design window, what settings/orders would I give to each individual ship, what orders/settings fleet posture would i give the fleet, and what empire settings would need to be in place to get this fleet to defend its assignment without constantly babysitting it. When would I put it on auto, or not? Thanks...

A. Options / Empire settings, change the manual stance settings for patrol to nearby targets.
B. Put your defense fleet on manual.
C. Order the fleet to patrol the target planet / base.

Works like a charm except for the ships sometimes forget to refuel and you will have to set patrol again once they have engaged an enemy. Way to much micro for my liking but the other choice is leave them on auto and assign a different fleet to each planet, you can only set a homebase for a colony for fleets not bases unfortunately, this works as well but takes more ships and fuel but can leave colonies undefended as the auto stance for this is attack system targets, hence set the manual stance to nearby and set them to patrol. There is a third one but it still requires a bit of micro, zoom out of the system until you can your empire colored ring round it and with the fleet selected move the cursor over the sun and if your in the right zoom then the cursor will change to the patrol cursor, click and the fleet will move between all your installations in that system, same as previous though, once they have attacked something you will need to order them to patrol the system again.

Darkspire

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 12
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/8/2013 6:53:17 AM   
Canute0

Ship Stance: Engange nearby targets
Fleet Stance: Target
Fleet order: Patrol

Move to planet, should work too, but after the 1. fight the fleet just stay at the place they fight and don't orbit the planet anymore. But Patrol burn fuel, when you don't have any fuel source close by, you should just let the fleet move to the planet and checkt it from time to time.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 13
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/8/2013 8:28:57 AM   
Moat_Man

Hi folks. I bought DW + the 3 x-packs and am enjoying it but I have a lot of little questions and this seems like a good thread to start.

#1) How do push an empire's sphere of influence back or more specifically out of a system? I had a colony ship queue to build on a neutral planet and I had sent some constructors to build a few gas and ore mining stations in advance of the colony ship. However, when next time I looked the system had small sphere of influence from a rival empire. There were no foreign ships or colonies in the system and when I turned on the Show Influence overlay the system was close but NOT within a foreign empire's sphere.

I built a mining station in a nearby system to see if that would push the influence back but it doesn't. As a matter of face it doesn't rate anything on the influence map.

So, is there a way to push back the influence? Do bases in non-colony systems project influence?

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 14
RE: Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread - 7/8/2013 8:56:10 AM   
feelotraveller

Colonies create influence from population and (I think) development. Nothing else will. Mining stations never produce influence. Influence pushing requires one or more colonies.

To check if the alien empire controls the system go to the sector level and click on the system. If the other empire's flag is shown on the on the top of the selection window it is inside their influence (your flag shows your influence). I suspect that they might not control the system in your game. If they do not control the system you can still build mining stations and colonies there in any circumstance. If they do control the system you will need to go to war with them to found a colony, and either go to war with them or be given mining rights by them (requires them really liking you lots) to build mining stations. Be aware that if more than one empire has bases/colonies in a system it will cause diplomatic friction (contested system). An independent colony can always be invaded.

(in reply to Moat_Man)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Simple-Questions-Simple-Answers-Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI