Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Planetary Shields

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Planetary Shields Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Planetary Shields - 1/2/2012 9:04:00 PM   
BigBog

Are there any other way to knock out planetary shields besides troop invasion of colony/planet?

Thanks!

BigBog
Post #: 1
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/2/2012 9:15:26 PM   
cookie monster

Does the Planet Destroyer still work?

(in reply to BigBog)
Post #: 2
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/2/2012 10:28:26 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

ROFLMAO!

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/3/2012 7:10:19 AM   
J HG T

World Destroyer destroys... worlds?
Sarcasm aside, World Destroyer should do the trick. The only bad thing is that you lose the planet and get a big reputation hit. It's still worth it sometimes if you are faced with particulary troublesome worlds, usually enemy homeworlds.

Regarding planetary shields, I think there should be some way to overload the planetary shields for a short while. Great amount of firepower, maybe? Ion cannons being the most effective. For the balance reasons, the amount of firepower should be quite significant even in big, late games.
Just my two credits.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 4
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/3/2012 8:50:04 AM   
sbach2o

What's so bad about a planetary shield that you want to get rid of it without invading? Bombs bouncing off?

Well, that's what the shield is for. So, what the others are saying: Destroy the entire planet, or invade and exterminate. These are your options, if you really want to get rid of the planet's current dwellers.

Or is there a spy mission that in theory could accomplish the task? I don't think so, but in Legends there has been no spying for me, yet.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 1/3/2012 8:52:18 AM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 5
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/3/2012 9:56:37 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

World Destroyer destroys... worlds?

You have to hand it to CM - he is entirely correct in his answer to the original question of methods to knock out planetary shields. They are indeed gone after a World Destroyer fires....

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 6
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/3/2012 9:59:48 AM   
Nedrear

I rather sabotage the colony. Got a small chance to hit the shield building as far as I know. Less dead people... or at least a planet left to recolonize and repair.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/3/2012 10:04:13 PM   
BigBog

Thanks guys--
I really didn't want to zorch the world--I wanted to take the resources over--so destroying it isn't my 1st choice. I was anxious to see if spy mission to sabotage to knock out the shields will work. Ran about 10 missions to no avail. During that, I was assembling my troops for planetary assault....all this when they agreed to be subjugated.

BigBog

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 8
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/4/2012 12:13:18 PM   
Registered55

a planet is massive, the shield is even bigger, it would take thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of ships to overload a planet shield.

unlike ships or objects, a planet shield would have almost limitless energy, spies going in to sabotage the shield would be a realistic approach.

one note i will say though, the planet shield is discovered way to early, and far to easy IMO

a planet shield is........ extremely advance technology even by most scifi television series standards.
in fact i can't think of a scifi program that had a planet shield.......... maybe because most scifi writers know that a planet shield is .......... fantasy is too insulting, but just plainly beyond the reach of most races capability.

even the asgard never had one the ancients came the closest with a shield that surrounded there city....... but these were beings that built stargate technology, and cities with hyperscape engines......... pretty advance but still no planet shield!

but seriously it was needed in this game to help balance, however the planet shield in this game is so easy and QUICK to build, and quite cheap aswell although again for balance "erik" may have done this intentionally.

(in reply to BigBog)
Post #: 9
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/4/2012 12:49:46 PM   
Nedrear

In a roleplay sense the planetary shield is protecting the habitable areas and not every inch ... e.g. the cities. Therfore they are like the shields in Star Wars and fit.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Registered55)
Post #: 10
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/9/2012 2:32:21 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

PRICELESS!

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 11
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/9/2012 6:49:40 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

...like the shields in Star Wars and fit.

Star Wars planetary shields protect the whole planet - not just habited areas.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Planetary_shield

"A planetary shield (or defense grid) was a large scale deflector shield designed to protect an entire planet from bombardment, falling debris, or other hazards."

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 1/9/2012 6:51:57 PM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 12
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/9/2012 6:56:21 PM   
Nedrear

Well I mean the smaller version of Star Wars... the thing the rebels and the empire used in smaller bases.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 13
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/12/2012 3:49:24 AM   
jpwrunyan

I like that his problem with planetary shields is a thematic one instead of a gameplay one.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 14
RE: Planetary Shields - 1/13/2012 8:08:58 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I like that his problem with planetary shields is a thematic one instead of a gameplay one.

Troll.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Planetary Shields Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI