Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? Page: [1]
[Poll]

Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945?

Yes, should end in early May 45
  13% (17)
Yes, should end in late May 45
  31% (39)
Yes, should end in late June 45
  19% (24)
No, should leave the end as it is in late Sept 45
  34% (43)

Total Votes : 123

(last vote on : 3/20/2012 7:04:35 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/15/2012 6:40:38 AM   
Joel Billings

There are many that have posted that they think the campaign games should end in May 1945. I'm not saying when or even if a change in the code can be made, but I would like to see if there is a consensus among enough players of a possible change. If nothing else, it would give ammunition to those wishing to play by a house rule even if the code (and/or data) is not changed. For the purposes of this poll, assume that the victory levels would remain the same as they are now, with only the date when the conditions were checked changing. It may be possible to release alternative scenario files that end earlier with no code change, and in that case it would be much easier to get done.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Post #: 1
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/16/2012 6:16:44 AM   
Joel Billings

bump

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/16/2012 12:42:15 PM   
Peltonx

I would like to see it end in July after the Russian side has had 4 clear turns.

If your going to have to do a little coding I would like to see VP lowered to 270.

I can dream a little heheh

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 3
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/16/2012 7:05:24 PM   
wadortch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

There are many that have posted that they think the campaign games should end in May 1945. I'm not saying when or even if a change in the code can be made, but I would like to see if there is a consensus among enough players of a possible change. If nothing else, it would give ammunition to those wishing to play by a house rule even if the code (and/or data) is not changed. For the purposes of this poll, assume that the victory levels would remain the same as they are now, with only the date when the conditions were checked changing. It may be possible to release alternative scenario files that end earlier with no code change, and in that case it would be much easier to get done.

Hello Joel.

There was a lot of good discussion on reducing the VP total to 260-270 from the present 292. Be great if you could poll on that one as well.

Walt

Post #: 4
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/16/2012 7:16:07 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I would like to see it end in July after the Russian side has had 4 clear turns.

I agree with this and since the third choice was the closest to it, that's the one I voted for.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 5
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/16/2012 7:58:30 PM   
76mm

I agree that the German's auto-victory number should be reduced, it is pretty ridiculous right now.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/17/2012 4:00:25 AM   
IdahoNYer

Just doesn't make sense to me to continue this game past May 1945 as it is a game of the Eastern Front - the Western Allies are "assumed" to be on the historical progress (as indicated by the German withdrawal/reinforcement schedule) and would be in Berlin by the end of May if the Germans succeed in holding the Soviets further east.

There is no option in WiTE to send forces west as there was in the old War In Russia to delay outcomes in the Western Theater.

VPs should be based on the historical month of victory in the European Theater, May 1945.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/17/2012 3:06:47 PM   
Cerion

quote:

Just doesn't make sense to me to continue this game past May 1945 as it is a game of the Eastern Front - the Western Allies are "assumed" to be on the historical progress (as indicated by the German withdrawal/reinforcement schedule) and would be in Berlin by the end of May if the Germans succeed in holding the Soviets further east.

There is no option in WiTE to send forces west as there was in the old War In Russia to delay outcomes in the Western Theater.

VPs should be based on the historical month of victory in the European Theater, May 1945.

OK, it is true.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 8
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/17/2012 9:20:45 PM   
LiquidSky

I would think that if the Germans are doing better against the east, it would have freed up some sort of consequence against the west...thus delaying them until at least June to taking Berlin. But I do agree that the real victory race in the game was between the allies and the Russians on how much of Europe would be gobbled up before Berlin falls.

I also have a pet peeve against games that end on bad weather when weather seemed to have no effect on either eastern or western front in 1945

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Cerion)
Post #: 9
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/18/2012 5:31:58 AM   
Oloren

As it is, the Germans get no reinforcements or planes after mid-April. Makes it even harder.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 10
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/18/2012 7:31:30 AM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I also have a pet peeve against games that end on bad weather when weather seemed to have no effect on either eastern or western front in 1945

Interesting point, I have thought about that too. But it was not really like it had no effect, both snow and mud are mentioned in accounts of fighting in early 1945, but I guess that the much denser and higher quality road and transportation net in Germany made mud have much less of an impact than in Russia.

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 11
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/19/2012 7:46:39 PM   
vinnie71

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oloren

As it is, the Germans get no reinforcements or planes after mid-April. Makes it even harder.

There is no further production or no new weapon systems? If it is the former, its down right idiotic...

(in reply to Oloren)
Post #: 12
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/19/2012 9:19:11 PM   
Oloren

My apologies, I should've been more clear. They receive no new unit reinforcements or air planes in the national reserve from mid April. Given the rate at which Germany was producing poor quality new units in early 1945, it seems odd that they would simply stop.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 13
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/23/2012 10:00:26 PM   
Michael T

I just checked the editor and its very simple to change the end date of the CG scenario. So Joel can we please have an 'alt' 41-45 CG scenario added in the next patch ending in late May 45.

This will please at around 50% of your customers. And the other 50% can continue playing the end in Oct original.

Surely this is a very simple and reasonable request.

(in reply to Oloren)
Post #: 14
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/24/2012 6:56:29 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I just checked the editor and its very simple to change the end date of the CG scenario. So Joel can we please have an 'alt' 41-45 CG scenario added in the next patch ending in late May 45.

This will please at around 50% of your customers. And the other 50% can continue playing the end in Oct original.

Surely this is a very simple and reasonable request.

Sure, you can make the scenario yourself. Unfortuantely the campaign victory conditions are hard coded, so they won't work. Of course, you could agree to what they are ahead of time as a house rule, in which case there is no need to create the scenario. That's the basic issue here. In the ideal world this would be in the editor, but it isn't, so any changes in victory conditions require coding changes. I wish campaign victory conditions were in the editor like the scenario victory conditions because then you could make all the changes you wanted and create alternate scenarios, but they aren't, and getting them into the editor is not a trivial task.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 15
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/24/2012 12:44:29 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

That's the basic issue here. In the ideal world this would be in the editor, but it isn't, so any changes in victory conditions require coding changes. I wish campaign victory conditions were in the editor like the scenario victory conditions because then you could make all the changes you wanted and create alternate scenarios, but they aren't, and getting them into the editor is not a trivial task.

Joel, could you confirm if the new WITW game engine implements the victory conditions through the editor and not hard coded? That would be ideal, and allow traditional boardgamers to play with traditional victory conditions that seemed to have worked just fine for so many years for so many players.

Post #: 16
RE: Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? - 2/25/2012 12:46:07 AM   
Joel Billings

I can confirm it's on my task list and I hope we will be able to do it in WitW. Clearly there's an advantage to having it in the editor so that victory conditions can be altered in alternate scenarios. We do not have WitW victory conditions yet, but when we come up with them I'll clearly be more sensitive of the benefit gained by building them into the editor.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Should the campaigns end before the end of Sept 1945? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI