Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is reloading end turn .sal cheating?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 6/14/2012 11:30:42 AM   
skjnc

So in PBEM games, after a turn ends, a .sal file will be automatically generated along with the .pbl file. By opening this .sal file, changing a few units deployment from mobile to tactic support, and then hitting end turn, the game will be resaved into a .pbl file.

I need to know whether this action is considered cheating?

- Oliver
Post #: 1
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 6/14/2012 1:00:01 PM   
Panama

IMHO, once you have pressed end of turn then your turn is over. If you forgot to do something that's your problem. You have to live with it.

(in reply to skjnc)
Post #: 2
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 6/14/2012 2:45:07 PM   
skjnc

that's exactly what i told my opponent. thanks pal!

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 3
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 6/14/2012 5:19:58 PM   
ogar

sknjc,

I'm curious how you discovered that this was happening ? I know the undo's flash and beep in the pbl, but how you'd catch this ? (And like a lotta folks, I've pressed one or two un-dos in a PBEM myself; it happens - but more than once in a great while, that's not okay.)

FWIW, I agree w Panama -- once that EoT message comes up, Turn Over - deal with it.

(in reply to skjnc)
Post #: 4
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 6/14/2012 11:36:38 PM   
skjnc

lol we were literally sitting next to each other, but we figured hot seat would be lame, so we tried pbem even if we can see each other's screens

< Message edited by skjnc -- 6/14/2012 11:37:17 PM >

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 5
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 7/26/2012 11:32:10 PM   
PrinceBolkonsky

What are the cheats to watch out for in this game?

It's sad but there are inveterate cheaters out there. Most wargamers realize that cheating just ruins your own enjoyment, but bad monkeys that we are... I like to be able to figure out as early as possible who is messing with the fates so I can avoid them.

(in reply to skjnc)
Post #: 6
RE: Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? - 7/27/2012 7:05:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bolkonsky

What are the cheats to watch out for in this game?

It's sad but there are inveterate cheaters out there. Most wargamers realize that cheating just ruins your own enjoyment, but bad monkeys that we are... I like to be able to figure out as early as possible who is messing with the fates so I can avoid them.

We like to think we've cleaned up most of the cheat paths. But there is one that's just too hard to quash - as this thread's title suggests - reloading the turn and playing it over. There is a "reload" message in the playback, but it not only seems to give false positives, but a really determined player could probably find a way around it. Using the "undo" button can also be abused - but that is clearly flagged in the playback, so, unless the player replays the turn, it shouldn't be a problem.

The list of cheat paths available in ACOW was incredible, in comparison.

(in reply to PrinceBolkonsky)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Is reloading end turn .sal cheating? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI