Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 4:35:02 PM   
HITMAN202

As 1970's WITE devotee (and of other mega eastern front games,) I was excited to see WITE resurrected and bought the game 2 months ago. I've been following AAR's closely, learning from so many AAR pro's, and I've decided to throw my hat in the ring in an AAR against the A-1 set on challenging. The biggest reason I do this is to have many questions answered (questions that other Noobies have and don't ask (or don't know to ask), in this AAR.

I'm an admirer of Q-Ball's thoughtful planning and Pelton's aggressive Axis play and strive to mimic them. I will destroy the A-1 set at challenging. (not !!!)

I'm benefiting from Fulkerson's play against the German A-1 (I agree that the A-1 cheats in a way..that is does things thru the game system that human players can't..ie bulds forts rapidly out of thin air, and Total Noobies's ongoing game (he's getting abuse by the Rusky A-1) and so...

Air.. set parameters copying those in "Axis War Diary"...plan 1) AGN ... crash Leningrad directly with the mech paving the way for infantry.. 2} AGC.. crash Moscow directly bypassing the Dneper...and 3) AGS .. Lvov pocket without any AGC mech support.

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/2/2012 10:05:44 PM >

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Post #: 1
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 5:44:17 PM   
Baelfiin

Should be fun to watch hitman 8)

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 2
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 6:04:11 PM   
HITMAN202

Baelfiin ( ??? means ) I left you out in my praise. You may be a good cross of Q-Ball (seems to be a great gentleman} and Pelton (who I would like to watch my back in a fist fight.)

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 3
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 7:16:03 PM   
Peltonx

Good luck and as long as you play German side I got your back, if you play russian side expect a knife in the back heeheh

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 4
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 7:24:48 PM   
HITMAN202

d

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/2/2012 7:26:07 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 5
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/2/2012 11:39:11 PM   
HITMAN202

Well here goes I messed up the first post.. this isn't easy to post.. but here goes. I will use only hasty attacks (I think I only did 3 deliberate) to save infantry movement points and to rout units to spaces I made early with mech units (when able and particularly at AGS) to maximize pockets (which are the key to the Germans.)

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

]]

I did something different at Brest Litovsk to form a pocket to kill,not rout 6-8 units

[image][/image]

And made the Lvov pocket, but needed AGC mech regiment (only)

[image][/image]

My casualties (and the Soviets) are low because I will not attack any units in the pockets until they are secure and will use only Sec, allies, or low quality infantry to do so.

[image][/image]

I'll use, in the future, work sheets like Amir to keep the stats and a running average of each unit type morale, since it's crucial (I think Pelton is spot on).

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/3/2012 8:45:11 AM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 6
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/3/2012 8:50:16 AM   
HITMAN202

I have a new unit (secret weapon that the Ruskies will face...

[image][/image]

I can't lose with this sucker. (this is a picture on a good day !!)

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 7
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/3/2012 11:53:13 PM   
HITMAN202

Well.. anyone can copy a few opening moves...but at some point you got to play WITE yourself. I've not played with "fog" much, and it is very uncomfortable not to know the strength of a unit before getting in its ZOC. Does anyone have tips beside carpet bombing nearby hexes with recon (which often doesn't help much... is that a factor in the challenging mode ???)

AGN...I had two huge pockets (a super big one southwest of Riga) that slowed my infantry down. Usually in the Lenin scenario I get get 10 + infantry across the Daugava in a bunch to hit Pskov in a bad way on the 4 th turn as at the same time I throw a Panzer build up to clear the way to Leningrad for those same dudes to follow on turn 5. Its not going to happen. Yet few Ruskys escaped AGN and I grabbed Pskov (never did it before) with PzLVI. A-1 is not aggressive and gives ground quickly, that's why I throw PzLVI at Pskov. I'll back off PzXXXXI (add the Mech unit) to build up on the 4 th turn and throw at Moscow to clear the way on turn 5. When I have thrown the PzXXXXI at Lenin on turn 4 it gets kind of scary with everything strung out betix the two cities, but A-1 seldoms causes problems. But this is challenging level A-1 (I've never done..or fog.. never done before) so... A few pro's talk about isolating Leningrad by cutting its rails to the east, but the terrain is so crappy and the A-1 swarms isolated mech units so bad ... I'll smash the door in... but I do have a secret...later. Also I and II Corp have two new stud CO's (as Pelton recommended)

[image][/image]

I've never had 9 th Army (green dudes) fly so fast, but I messed up the center corridor for AGC southern bunch to go to Smolesk and they're lagging. But the pocket below Minsk is a surprise. Routed units in the Pripet Marsh hang on its northern edge and usually are untouchable. Not this game with an 8 bagger. Add my ploy around Brest Lotvisk, this adds up to 20 units and almost 100,000 men. Things are looking good. Best of all PzXXXIX will build up next turn to go to Moscow. On turn 3 !!! How close to Moscow. A thing about buildups... its a three move think ahead. At the end of 1 think where the units at the end of 2 will meet the buildup criteria on move 3, execute the buildup on 3 and kill on 4. Pelton is crazy with it (too good.) But the big thing is give yourself a 5 move point margin of error. Because it isn't just adding up the numbers. ZOC, weather changes and little terrain costs are often overlooked.

[image][/image]

That Brest Litovsk pocket.... is ate up. Most of the time 7-10 units with 35-45,000 live to cause future hurt. Like I said along with the Minsk pocket, I've got up to 20 units that will not be in the fight for awhile. And some good units to boot !!! Now I've got to get to Rovno to get that next pocket. It may take two turns ....

[image][/image]

I have left the big Lvov practically untouched. The A-1 will sit and rot and I will comply. You have to tighten the pocket to prevent retreats when you finally start to attack , so I get the allies to help out. Another big pocket at Proskurov. I know a human wouldn't allow this, but I still got to handle the Germans well. I've got over 80 units surrounded at the end of turn 2. But I eventually can't copy what the pro's do... and that's what I am basically doing.

[image][/image]

The final stats (like Emir's but not as good) and watching the morale average will be interesting

[image][/image]

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 8
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/4/2012 12:23:59 AM   
Baelfiin

Looks like you are making some progress especialy vs leningrad.

I might have missed it in the post but why are you waiting to clear those pockets?

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 9
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/4/2012 1:13:34 AM   
HITMAN202

I had often used in the LVOV pocket OKH German divisions, Slovakians, and the SEC's to whip up on the Ruskys and lost a ton of men and morale (yes, even holds) while just getting the dudes to retreat. They're not going to run away, by turns 4 or 5 you can get them to surrender by a mere stare. Now in AGN I have to get II Corp on the move, so leaving the Sec units to clean up is no big deal. In AGC the more you mess with the pockets with your stud infantry the less time you have to mess with Moscow. I'm nothing but a Noobe, so my opinions are probably off, but why run up casualties when you can wait on Mother Nature to rot the bunch.

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 10
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/5/2012 10:01:22 PM   
HITMAN202

Turn Three...

The appearance of this AAR will improve. My 16 year-old son (5th of 6 and only boy) is teaching me how to use Paint, Photocopy, etc... for the first time. He thinks I am a poor student.

I can no longer copy the best (Q-Ball, Pelton, Baelfiin, TVD (who's now the talk of the town), etc..) and have to show my own plans.

I'm struggling to keep the German Army command structure clean. For example I sent XXIII (9th Army) north and wish I hadn't (kept it with AGC.) I transferred its divisions to other AGN Corps and sent the HQ unit back to AGC to oversee OKH reinforcements. But I think I need XXIII divisions to head north to quickly pressure Leningrad (more than putting pressure on Smolensk), but AP points are precious to the Krauts. Yet all three Army Group advances look like a cow herd stampeding.

AGN... I'm flying to Leningrad, will take Pskov as an afterthought, but carefully planning HQ buildup with PZ XXXXI (four divisions)(code name Kill Bill-1) on turn 4 to be on the outskirts of Leningrad and paving the way for AGN on turn 5. Its silly to worry about space west of Pskov (its worthless) and I have a feeling that a right hook at Leningrad is too slow . My approach forces the Soviet to declare their attentions in defending Leningrad or not. Having to redirect most of AGN thru Velikie Luki to Moscow is easy and these units will easily catch up with AGC's infantry slow trudge to Moscow.

[image][/image]

Bealfiin ..I'll find time in the next 2-3 turns to kill that last ruskie south of the Daugava. Why slow up key units heading to Leningrad ??? Later you'll see why (at least playing the A-1)

AGC... I'm heading to Moscow and will not be slowed by the Dnepr. Problem with this it narrows my adavance (less wide, easier to -obstruct) but so be it (for now.) First HQ buildup for AGC next turn (Kill Bill -2 code name) Pz XXXIX {4 corp) and I getting excited pre... can't say it. I think I have 15-16 Pz divisions heading to Smolensk !!!!

[image][/image]

AGS

Pockets, pockets and more pockets.. Lvov will die on the vine...I'm maybe wrong not to keep a more infantry back to clean. But like Pelton... East...East...East. I isolated Vinnista to boot. Looks great.. !!! I bet Pelton is proud of me !!!! This game is easy...not...

[image][/image]

Causualties are par, but with so many isolated units yet to die...

[image][/image]

Need to update morale (too lazy). I thought the numbers would increase rapidly for the Germans with so many successful attacks. ???

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/6/2012 2:25:53 AM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 11
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/6/2012 3:55:56 PM   
Peltonx

Good job on opening moves.

I get an idea what your up against all you can really do is recon allot.

Most units in open and woods hexes will have low cv. Recon at least will report on forts, this also can tell you allot about defensive cv values.

Also playing the russian side in a few small games will give you a very good idea of CV values early in game.

You have to figure as German player infantry are alwasy advancing east so you can use them to "scout" hexes for stronger"high morale" infantry units and mech units.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 12
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/7/2012 4:14:19 AM   
HITMAN202

Turn Four

I really need to get a worksheet that lists each step of every game turn so I don't mess up. There's so much to do. And I'm only playing the Axis, who are the easier side. I really have no understanding of forts, no grasp on attrition, and am kind of a like a dog chasing a car, once I make a good pocket, how to reduce it and move on. These hasty attacks that result in "Held" are killing my (and the troops) morale. I've decided never to make another hasty attacks with only a single infantry div with a less than an 80 morale and make more deliberate attacks. This fog of war stuff makes it hard to plan a move. So...

I've messed up 3/4 of my FBD's. AGN's went east instead of north, AGC's is having to cross the Daugava, and AGS is slowed because I failed to clean out the area around Rovno quickly.

AGN

[image][/image]

I've played this scenario 5-6 times and have it down to an art (I think). Pz XXXXI HQ buildup.. run to Leningrad to its goodies. The A=1 seldom takes advantage of my parade.

AGC

[image][/image]

Kill Bill=2 (Pz XXXIX) pass Smolensk, on to Moscow. Pz LVII HQB (buildup) to be throw forward too. I am going to have to clear the path for AGC FDB over the Daugava (then back again.)

AGS

[image][/image]

Should have left more infantry behind to clean up the pockets... messed up on the FBD... and Kiev has a nice pocket trapped. Didn't work well to the south. I have most of AGS infantry hugged together on a picnic in the Ukraine... they should've been chewing up the pockets

Stats

[image][/image]

Things are getting interesting.. but the FDB mess up is just ridiculous

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/7/2012 6:45:15 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 13
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/9/2012 7:01:24 PM   
HITMAN202

Turn 5.. things have not gone well, planning wise. It was great following EMIR'S clash with Cannonfodder and was glad to here that so many of his plans had to be changed. My ops Kill Bill-1 and 2 are dead. My FBD foul-ups in AGN and AGS have forced me to clean up space between Pskov and Vitsbk with Pz XXXXI (build up) thrown toward Vitsbk. I expected that a AGC Pz unit would be needed to complete the isolation, but not !!!

[image][/image]

Here's the situation between AGN and AGS (by the way, I've never seen that many Ruskies on the corridor from Pskov to Leneingrad ) and the move....

[image][/image]

Also I sent PzLVII south to isolate around 20 Ruskies. I had a impulsive buildup of Pz LVII, planning to throw them at Moscow a turn earlier, but Emir's AAR with the warning of making sure that the mech and infantry work together, killed Kill Bill-2. Good things come from bad planning

[image][/image]

Then in AGS

[image][/image]

I'm not running to Rostov like Pelton, but I am having to slowly reduce the pockets (which I did good at making). I'm killing a lot of units.

[image][/image]

This is going slow, but I am having fun. What a great game by Emir. I learned a lot.

I isolated another 40 units this turn, added to the 40 I have left to toast

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/9/2012 7:08:32 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 14
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/11/2012 9:28:22 PM   
HITMAN202

..TURN SIX ....

It was great to follow the short AAR Emir/Cannonfodder. It taught me how not to be impulsive with HQ buildups and how fragile the big red army is to Pz Corp. I feel better about my FDB mess-ups as he had one himself. Still my AGN repair unit is way behind, AGC's north FDB has to cross the Daugava twice, and AGS north FDB is still puttering around Rovno.But surpises of all surprises this what i saw at the start of turn 6
[/image]

A-1 surrounds AGC with 5 Pz Corp in the vicinity, all gassed up..after my move

[image][/image]

Seventy or so units are isolated and certainly will surrender..also in AGS.. not only are the pockets getting clened out (slowly) but Kiev is isolated

[image][/image]

The problem is in AGN. I wasn't expecting to have Pz XXXXI head toward Velikie Luki to clean out the FBD's advance, so now I have a ton of hexes to clear out in front of the Dava before attacking Leningrad. I've not faced so many Ruskie's in any of my short Leningrad scenarios.

[image][/image]

But goodness gracious, with the 90 or more units isolated, how can the Soviets survive. I wasn't expecting this slaughter

[image][/image]

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 15
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/15/2012 4:52:48 AM   
HITMAN202

Turn Seven.....

Having followed a ton of AAR's and now doing my own, it's clear that the game gets more difficult for the Axis each turn; that is for the player. Each army group has very different challenges that change each week (with success and failure, good moves and bad) that it is taking me more time for each turn. And the overall strategic planning which has to be made, which I am so oblivious to, I don't know what to do when and why and where with what !!!! Turn 7 and I'm now trying to figure out this garrison thing. In the ancient WITE partisan units cluttered the board and had next to no impact on the game. That is the amount of time you spent in messing with them made that version of WITE less enjoyable. It was a poor "mini-game" within the great big game. Now ??? I'm learning what to do (and attending time to it this turn), but am starting to get that same bad feeling... that I'm wasting time in a bad mini-game. Since I brought it up, I can't decide what's best...to garrison all cities or just the larger ones ??? . And what axis allies unit to use south of the weather line, ?? Help..

But I am grounding the Ruskies to mincemeat...AGC...

[image][/image]

What stands between me and the Kremlin ????....AGN...

[image][/image]

The fighting here is far messier than I've experienced in the scenario... AGS

[image][/image]

But as in AGC... where are the Soviets .... and stats..

[image][/image]

Almost 220 killed divisions alone at the end of turn 7. I'm planning a fine victory parade for Christmas

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 16
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/17/2012 1:58:29 AM   
HITMAN202

***Turn 8***

The Nazi steamroller forces on  !!!!

A few things are becoming clear....1) getting the German infantry to the front..particularly toward Moscow... is crucial.   Panzers alone are costly and won't win...2) don't impulsively throw your Panzers forward. ,,1)  They need infantry to open up the routes (to encircle) and clean up the mess (kill the isolated units,)  If you think about using them but are uncertain ... wait,  Either on the O, wait ..you will have more support coming up,,, or on the D, wait...the enemy will be further sucked in.  The one exception is  in creating a path for the infantry thru enemy controlled hexes.

AGN....is very mess

In the Leningrad scenario I had it down pat against the A-1 on "normal"  Turn #1  Pockets formed and get the infantry going... #2  Have 1/2 of the infantry over the Daugava,,3) Infantry close to Pskov, one Pz buildup, the other in Pskov...4) Infantry open Pskov and throw built up Panzer at Leningrad  laying down a pathway for the infantry...5)  Infantry sent after the Pz down the corridor as the Pz disrupt hexes in front of Leningrad...and  6) Infantry starts to hit Leningrad.  Here at turn 8, I'm starting the process, two turns behind.  However, I occupy Novgorod and (a big and) have two hexes  without entrenched units on the east bank of the Volkhov with one occupied by a Pz  division.

AGC is looking great !!!

I'm 8 hexes away from the city and  see no defensive line.  I'm planning to get within 4 hexes of the city (around turn 10) , send one Pz division north and one south of the city , followed  by two others (HQ build up turn 10) on turn 11 to encircle the capital.

I've got this big space east of the swamp that is begging for two Pz's (one from AGC abd one from AGS) to link up, isolating all units west.  There's got to be a load of Ruskies there sunning themselves.

Then  AGS...

Now the stats

The Soviet casualties climbs out of site.  Granted I have no units presently pocketed but the blood  will flow at Leningrad and Moscow.  I stopped keeping a running average of the  morale on the  infantry and armour units, because , to my surprise, the numbers didn't change much.. I thought they would rise dramatically.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 17
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/17/2012 6:06:00 PM   
HITMAN202

**** Turn 9 ****

This is really the start of 10..failed to save 9...frustrated in part in Leningrad. I'm tearing up and making the Volkov River defense null and void, but I've had 2 failed attacks on the city...

I'm launching the first part of the Moscow encirclement this turn

And I've an Pz Corp in AGC to link up with AGS

Stats

Next turn will be exciting

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 18
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/17/2012 7:05:33 PM   
Seminole

can you turn on 'view enemy hexes' (hotkey e) on?
Helps to see the front line, especially around Leningrad (are those units in the west cut off, or does he still control that territory via the ports?)

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 19
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/17/2012 7:20:18 PM   
HITMAN202

They're in supply. In the scenarios I've played, as long as Talinin is Soviet, the vodka flows.

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/17/2012 7:23:59 PM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 20
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/18/2012 6:03:29 PM   
HITMAN202

******* Turn #10 *******

Things are getting real fun and a little humorous (next turn) as all three fronts are smoking. The game turns are taking 2 1/2 an hour or so, but if I had a cheat sheet for what I need to do in an organized way, it would be easier (and probably more fun in the long run.) When I get one (I'm sure someone will point to one for the Axis) I'll post it. But it's not just the turn itself that has to be organized, but the long term planning. The first 10 turns I fell better about (not comfortable with yet.)

Turn #1 set the Air Strategty, the TOES, and decide where, who, what, and how each of your three Army Groups are going to initially proceed . Plan some strategy with how your going to use your AP's and carefully, carefully plan the direction of your FBD units.

Turn #2-5 Its important to see how the Soviet is handling their defense in each of your fronts, and look at other AAR's and copy. NOOBE'S shouldn't think too much. It's real dangerous. Unfortunately I'm being very serious. You got to learn from the best. And these guys are good.

Turn #4 Think about garrisoning

Turn #5 Onward.... The Soviets are going to have established D-lines (particularly at the major rivers) and constantly think about encirclements. "Good attacks" mean nothing. Isolating units mean everything. There are a ton of other stuff that i need to do, but I don't know yet what i don't know

On to the game. Remember I'm a NOOBE and I'm doing very little but copying other AAR's. I love Pelton's brusqueness,, Flaviusis great judgement and insight (not his AAR's, he just comments), and Q-Ball's and Baelfin's reasoning out their strategies. There are aton of others.

The Soviets are dying quickly and in large numbers. The A-1 is like a monkey. Shaka Zulu (portrayed in a movie ??? title) described how you trap a monkey. Hollow out a small gourd and make a tiny opening that a monkey could only squeeze his hand thru. Put a banana (or whatever tasty) in it and anchor the gourd and wait. Eventually a monkey would find it ,reach thru the opening, and grab the goody, but couldn't drag it out. His fist was too large. He was by nature so stubborn, he wouldn't let go and would be caught. The A=1 hangs on to all cities, tries to open pockets, and keeps a nice front line without depth. And dies.

First AGN

After two failed attacks against Leningrad on turn 9,I was was successful on 3 out of 4 ( two were depleted hexes from the earlier failed attacks.) Its painful to see quality infantry being lost as the beaten Soviets rout across the Volkhov (makes no sense.) I stiil have the level #4 entrenchment in front of Pava and the three behind it to take. At least 8 more attacks (and I can't make multiple attacks behind the Pava each turn.. But the sweet isolation of 2 hexes behind the Volkhov, 6 units probably more than 60,000, that's what the game is all about for the Axis. Sweet. I am changing my plans east of the Volkhov. Next turn. It will involve AGC and the still AGN attached Pz XXXXI !!!

Now the fun, great fun at AGC

I was hoping to achieve at least 270 degrees of the encirclement of Moscow and i got over 300 !!! The big things to achieve were 1) hitting the north and south edges of the encirclement with infantry to clear space (10-12 infantry at each shoulder, they don't need to be bashing their head against the front of Moscow's D, 2) making hasty attacks with 2 Pz units stacked and before running out of MP moving them away from Moscow to widen the isolation zone, and 3) have two additional Pz Corp, (buildup this turn) to follow on turn 11 to complete and widen the isolation. If you send a buildup Pz this turn it will have to cross enemy hexes and burn up a ton of MP. The Soviets will free up part of the pocket on their turn phase. On turn 11, these Pz divisions with 45-48 MP will be crossing many converted hexes and can easy reseal the deal..permanently. Sweet..

East of the Pripet Marshes

I'm just copying what other's do.. I bet there are 30 + units there. I did 1 buildup in AGC, didn't in AGS

And AGS

It looks good, but I'm really messing up her, wasting a lot of time and gas,,but I'm aiming at Rostov and the Crimea. I think with better moves I could be within 100 miles of Rostov

Another 100 units soon to be isolated ??? Maybe !!!

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 21
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/23/2012 4:22:03 AM   
HITMAN202

***** TURN 11 *****

The A=1 is taking casualties to such an extent that I think that all three of their fronts will break..that they will have so few units that any will be isolated when close to the Axis lines. I see me killing 400+ divisions with 4,000,000 scalps by the time when the mud hits. I'm seeing far fewer units than I thought. I'm shattering 1/3 to 1/4 of the single divisions I deliberately attack because they have so few troops, infantry divisions with 2-4,000 troops. (I guess rushed to the front too soon.)

AGN

I've failed on my first attack across the Neva with the 1st and 2 nd Corp (did bump the fort down to #3) and cringe at the losses I'll take. The two isolated Soviet hexes on the Volkhov died with almost 50,000 losses and I have a lot of real estate there. I'm tempted to head to the Finnish border, but the terrain is uninviting. But there is a humorous (too me) option.. but first..

AGC..... this is one of most enjoyable moves of any game I've made in my 40 + years of wargaming

I think the encirclement will hold (just don't see any fresh units that will come outside of the city to help). Its funny, the toughest terrain to overcome in surrounding Moscow is behind the city formed by the two rivers that head east. My plan to have 2 build=up Panzer Corp follow their lead brother's attack north and south of the city turned to be overdone.. I needed only the southern help (PzXXXIX). But the humor is..

The northern help was to be AGN's PzXXXXI, lend-lease from turn 5 when I had both Army Groups rail Repair units going the wrong way (into uncontrolled territory) and a 180 degree change in plans for PzXXXXI (and direction) corrected the problem (with a pocketing of 20 or so units). Well, let's send it back north to isolate the Ruskies south of Novgorod and help with the push to the Finnish border... !!!! ??? !!!....goodness gracious.... I'm embarrassed how well I planned this.

.... and around Karkov ....

There are so few Ruskies, so I'll isolate (try to} Karkov...

....And finally the stats....

Goodness gracious.. turn 11... nearly 3 mill Soviet casualties, 300 (!!!) division killed or soon to be killed and Moscow enveloped. These Pz's can kick some bad asssssssss.....

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 22
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/25/2012 1:01:58 AM   
HITMAN202

**** Turn 12 ****

Its amazing how helpless the Soviets are when their position can be isolated. What's happening in this game around Moscow (and I hope what will also occur at Leningrad and south of Moscow), makes me believe that the game is far easier to play as the German power; but the Soviet player is the one who decides the winner and by how much. As I face the A-1 at challenger mode it makes the same errors... 1)doesn't attack exposed German units, 2) defensive line has no depth, and 3) defends all cities. But I see if the A-1 Soviet would make a few changes it could be very, very difficult to beat. Often in a obviously key strategic hex the computer would position a weak unit; but if a stronger division had been used my attack would be frustrated. What I'm trying to say is between two equally skilled opponents, in my opinion, the Soviet should win; but the Ruskies have the far greater challenge (and more opportunities to go astray.) Just a NOOBE's opinion .

**** AGN ****

Another failed attack across the Neva by the 1st and 2nd Corp. I've decided to go try and connect with the Finnish border thru the swamps (with Pz XXXXI on the scene) next turn.

Talking about Pz XXXXI

What a neat isolation of the Soviets south of Novgorod !!!! There seems to be more there than I thought.

AGC's slapdown of Moscow

Soon the Gestapo will have fun with those who didn't flee the Kremlin. The mopping up is going slowly. The sad reality is that a Pz movement out of supply is a killer when it comes to using that unit in the near future. Turn #1 buildup, turn #2 move, turn #3 and #4 maintain the isolation, and finally turn #5 and #6 move back into supply (or sit to get the tanks fueled up.) The move to Moscow was good, but I have a lot of tanks stuck in the mud now.

South of Moscow

Ive got the surprising development of a possible major Cannae, but everything is so scrambled and unorganized in the cleanup of the Moscow encirclement . But there are a lot of units sitting there, a lot of military might

AGS

Still messing around with Karkov and further south

Messing up (real bad) in taking Rostov prior to the mud. Finally the stats

If I can take Leningrad before the mud (and its a big if right now, I afraid to show the TOE' of the 1st and 2 nd Corps) and something big happens south of Moscow (there is a ton of German military might sitting there) could get to 400 killed divisions by the mud ???

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/25/2012 3:14:29 AM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 23
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 1/29/2012 4:23:32 AM   
HITMAN202

Turn 13...Turn 13...Turn 13

Game is getting messy and very tense, tense to see how much the krauts can run the bus over the Ruskies. With the large majority of Pz's being over-extended with the Moscow Cannae.. it's down to crunch time with how high the infantry can push the casualties.

*** AGN ***

Another failure .. the attack across the Neva..HELD. I will try to push to the Finish border

*** AGC ***

Slowly reducing the Moscow fortress, pocketting another 60-70,000 east of the Kremilin and pushing south to...

..to possible connect a Ryazan=Orel pockett.. too ambitious ??? I'm buildingup the Pz Corp well southwest of Orel...

You see the Pz XIV Corp buildup.. and Kharkov is getting swallowed hook,line, and sinker.

The Rostov/Donbass push and the stats..

Turn 13 will start thinking about the winter fortifications

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 24
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/1/2012 2:48:58 AM   
HITMAN202

*** Turn 14 ***

The attack rolls on, surges on, and is racking up the body count. Granted, the A-1 is a mindless program, but this one must be feeling some silicon pain. But where in the world are all these Soviet units coming from ???

***AGN***

Finally I crossed the Neva with the effort of the I and II Corp. But the big excitement is the linkup with the Finns. Can Leningrad be isolated ???

Moscow is being reduced, but two more helds. But this is a sideshow to the biggest operation of the war

Can the pocket hold with 80 units trapped ???

I finally am seeing Rostov in my sites. But the Crimea is of no concern and even less importance

Where are the Soviets getting all those units ???

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 25
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/1/2012 2:47:32 PM   
wdkruger

Looks like you are playing an older version of the game (1.04.40). Why are you not using the latest beta? I understand the AI has improved a lot.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 26
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/2/2012 4:56:44 AM   
HITMAN202

It's the latest version.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 27
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/2/2012 4:58:27 AM   
HITMAN202

It's the most recent patch.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 28
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/4/2012 4:46:47 PM   
HITMAN202

**** TURN 15 ****

I just don't see where these SU's are coming from. These screen shots are the start of turn 16 ... and look at the large # of units that have materialized out of thin air. How can it be since alone over 400 divisions are dead ??? Anyway, we will continue to kill, kill, kill up to the blizzard. I"m thinking of doing something a little different then...

**** AGN ****

All Leningrad defenders (and Volkov River) are isolated. I'm going to push hard east for space. I'm not comfortable with making big pincer movements . I question if I could reduce the pockets quickly enough.

Again I'll be pushing east, looking to shatter units and grab space

Pushing east

How much breathing space can I make around Rostov ?? I'm going to wait to start building the blizzard line until I can estimate how far east I can push back the Ruskies

These numbers are obscene... we will see how much blood there is in Russia !!!!

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 29
RE: HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging - 2/4/2012 8:08:14 PM   
Tazak

With AI settings on 110% the AI gets free AP to maintain 300 division and 100 bde, gets a increase in supply but strangely no increase to manpower/production, once you reach a certain point the AI is forced to use understrength units resulting in a lot of shatters hence your rather large unit destruction numbers

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> HITMAN202...the Krauts versus A-1 challenging Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI