Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Encircled units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Encircled units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Encircled units - 2/19/2012 2:02:17 AM   
AFV

Early in the game, is it better to "relocate" encircled HQ units rather than letting them be displaced by the Axis?

Is it better to relocate or disband air units?

I don't know what the pros and cons of these actions are.
Post #: 1
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 2:19:29 AM   
Flaviusx

Relocate just about any HQ cut off. It is your chance for AP free promotions and getting rid of slacker generals. HQs warping out of pockets have a high probability in resulting in the death of the commanding general. Since most of these guys suck, that's a wonderful thing. Just make sure you're not killing off quality guys, there are a few that get caught in early pockets. Those HQs you leave alone. The Wehrmacht is a silent partner in the Red Army officer training program.

I disband massively early on. Any zero strength air unit more or less, unless it assigned modern planes (those go to the reserve and fill out with replacements.) Every single 10 plane battalion. Air ants are pretty worthless for the Soviet Union, your 20 plane regiments are small as is.

And I disband lots of airbases on top of that. You have way more than you need, and an amazing number of them are SAD airbases which autodisband at the most awkward times in 1942. Get those out of the way yourself to avoid future embarrassments. The manpower in them is invaluable in 1941 -- they can flesh out a lot of understrength rifle divisions.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 2
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 3:40:02 AM   
AFV

Thanks!

So a HQ with a good general you don't relocate, and let the Axis dislocate them, mainly because there is less chance of the general getting killed?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 3:45:55 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

Thanks!

So a HQ with a good general you don't relocate, and let the Axis dislocate them, mainly because there is less chance of the general getting killed?

I've relocated some *after* putting some dingbat in command.

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 4
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 3:49:57 AM   
mmarquo

You can actually relocate an HQ multiple times during one move, virtually assuring the death of the dingbat. I would never chance relocating an Hq with a good leader - I beleive (empiric observation) that KIA is quicker with player initiated relocation than if by the Axis.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 5
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 4:00:08 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

You can actually relocate an HQ multiple times during one move, virtually assuring the death of the dingbat. I would never chance relocating an Hq with a good leader - I beleive (empiric observation) that KIA is quicker with player initiated relocation than if by the Axis.

It does seem that way. Lots of dead dingbats when I relocate. Hardly any when it's done for me.

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 6
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 6:03:13 AM   
AFV

I can't play right now, but can you reassign a general when the  HQ is isolated? I know easy to check but not able to play right now, and I'm curious!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 7:16:20 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

I can't play right now, but can you reassign a general when the  HQ is isolated? I know easy to check but not able to play right now, and I'm curious!

You can. I would guess it represents, say, a single a/c or boat sent in to bring him out one dark night. Rommel from Africa, MacArthur from the Phillipines, Napoleon from Egypt to name a few.

If you can relocate an entire army/corps/front/high command through enemy lines, why not a guy and his staff?

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 2/19/2012 7:20:54 AM >

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 8
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 7:54:10 AM   
AFV

So if you have a good general surrounded, fire him and put in a lackey, and then relocate? If the lackey dies, no worries and your good general is still available to command.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 9
RE: Encircled units - 2/19/2012 11:11:54 PM   
Don77

Hi,

FYI - Soviet air battalions do upgrade to regiments later on for free, so don't disband those, just leave them in the National Reserve until they are regiments.

Don

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Encircled units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI