Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Decompression error during install

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Decompression error during install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Decompression error during install - 12/31/2011 10:45:57 AM   
Nickfury

Hi Guys,

Just downloaded and installed "Cross of Iron" with no problem. Then downloaded and tried to install "The Longest Day" but kept getting a Decompression error (#2026) from Original CC5/Data/Ops/KG M?ler.

(One thing I couldn't figure was why KG M?ler, had character replaced with a question mark)

I will include the photo. I tried aborting, deleting files, and reinstalling multiple times. I checked my drivers to make sure they were all updated, turned off my anti virus, etc.

Also tried ignoring the error and continuing the installation, but the game would load with sound, but no images, just a black screen.

Running Windows XP.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nickfury -- 12/31/2011 10:48:24 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Decompression error during install - 12/31/2011 3:34:45 PM   
berndn

Maybe the download is corrupted. Have you tried downloading with another browser?

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 2
RE: Decompression error during install - 12/31/2011 9:26:19 PM   
SteveMcClaire

For help with the setup program itself, you can contact Matrix technical support at http://www.matrixgames.com/support/.

That said, I would suggest:

1) Re-download the file, as Berndn suggested.
2) Try installing to a different drive, if you can (I see E: in the screenshot?)
3) Try it on another machine, if you have one available.

These steps should at least help narrow down the possible causes of the problem.

Steve

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 3
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/1/2012 12:47:44 AM   
Nickfury

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try out all these and let you know how it goes(except using it on another machine as I only have my laptop). I already tried re-downloading several times, but with the same browser and to the same drive. I usually use E since D is pretty full, going to try to delete stuff and move things around.

I did play CC5 on this laptop with the original disk, but somehow lost the disk, which I can't figure out (WTF??).
Anyway been playing the CC series since CC1 first came out and played online a ton back in the day.

So far COI is playing just fine, it's just TLD that won't install properly.
Gotta say I am curious about LSA.

Again, thanks for the fast response and I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Happy New Year!
Regards,
Nick

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 4
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/1/2012 3:37:53 AM   
Nickfury

No Luck,

I tried downloading from different browsers to a different drive and I got the exact same error in the exact same location.
What is it about KG Muller that my computer hates and why does it change it to KG M?ler...

I just remembered that after I lost my CC5 Disk I tried downloading and installing two different versions of the original CC5 off the net in ISO form and during installation I had the EXACT same error during installation with compression error (#2026) and KG M?ler.

Again I had previously run CC5 with my original store bought disk on this same computer in the past with no problems and COI is running perfectly. So I'm at a loss.

Any other ideas are welcome as CC5 was one of my favorite game of all time. Man, if only I hadn't lost the disk (I think I left it in my computer when it went to Samsung After Service Center, didn't realize till months later and they never found it).

Thanks,
Nick

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 5
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/2/2012 4:55:43 PM   
SteveMcClaire

It's possible there is some problem with the extended ASCII character "ü" in KG Müler. Is your version of Windows XP US English, or another language? You might check for updates to XP or setting related to this in Windows, though I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with it.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but you might try creating a dummy file "E:\Matrix Games\Close Combat The Longest Day\classicCC5\Data\Ops\KG Müler" (say a text file, but rename it to remove the .txt extension) and see if you're able to save with a name like that yourself. You could then re-run the setup and see if you can get it to extract over the existing file.

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 6
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 12:24:48 AM   
Nickfury

Hi,
Well I live in South Korea and bought the computer here. They might have installed Win Xp in Korean but set it to work in English, not sure.
I will see what I can figure out with that one shot in the dark you gave me, any chance the hard disk version would work better for me?
Really want to play...damn.
Thanks
Nick

Post #: 7
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 7:53:41 AM   
Nickfury

Thanks for the tips Steve,

Since my Windows XP version is originally Korean with English added, I enabled German/European Language support as well and now TLD installs without the compression error and umlauts are now displaying properly.

But when the game starts I hear all the sounds, but just a black screen. I can move the mouse around and I hear it clicking buttons but still no visuals. When I press the windows button, I can see a flash of the screen below before going to the desktop. Once I managed to get the intro screen to appear (not sure what buttons I was hitting, but the screen was dead and none of the buttons responded when I clicked them.

So one error is gone and another is here. Meanwhile COI is playing perfectly as are dozen other games. TLD is the only game I have that won't play. Sucks as I loved CC5.

Any more help?
Thanks
Nick

*PS- I also just tried pressing Control at start up and I disabled the videos.
But it will still start up with just a black screen. I can move the mouse around and hear the buttons clicking and responding. Just can't see anything, still catch a glimpse of the screen when I press the windows key as it goes to the desktop. What to do about the black screen?

< Message edited by Nickfury -- 1/3/2012 8:03:13 AM >

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 8
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 8:42:02 AM   
berndn

I would try to update the Windows XP video drivers and install the latest directx 9.0c for Windows XP (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35)

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 9
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 12:34:40 PM   
Nickfury

Well something worked. I updated Directx, set the game to run in compatibility mode and adjusted my Nvidia drivers to let the program determine antialiasing. Maybe I should have been more scientific and done one thing at a time but whatever, it worked! :) the game runs great and looks awesome. Love the night battles! Really nice update to CC5.

Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated Berndn and Steve McClaire, glad you took the time to help.

Nick

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 10
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 12:38:45 PM   
Nickfury

Still hard to believe I have more fun playing the CC games after all these years than all the other games I buy and get tired of after a few days to a few months. Nothing else seems to have the same replay value. The only thing that kind of comes close for me is the Total War Series. Loved the new Fallout games, but that's a totally different genre and it just doesn't have replay value after I've done everything. Be great to find another strategy and tactics game that had depth and wasn't just point and click but combined the excitement or real-time action.

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 11
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 1:12:17 PM   
berndn

Only missing feature I have is that it would be great if it would be possible to save in game. As all objects are somehow in memory it should be possible. VMware can even make snapshots of a whole OS including CC running in a virtualized OS ;)
For sure you can sheet this way but I would love to do longer battles instead of 15 minutes run throughs against the AI :D

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 12
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/3/2012 3:25:17 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Glad to hear you got things working. I'll record your suggestion about in-battle saves for consideration in a future version.

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 13
RE: Decompression error during install - 1/7/2012 4:15:06 AM   
Nickfury

Just a question. I haven't played H2H in a few years. How are you guys connecting for head to head and how is TLD in H2H play, stable? I am tired of kicking the AI's ass.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Decompression error during install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI