Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems - 2/17/2012 9:02:44 AM   
onomastikon

Using the "upgrade" button or letting the AI upgrade automatically usually replaces better components with poorer ones. Example:
- Upgrading always replaces my previously installed "Star Burners" with inferior Proton Thrusters, forcing me to manually re-upgrade all designs.

This forces me to disable automatic upgrading, because even if I manually replace the suboptimal AI choice, the AI reverts back to this choice at the next automatic upgrade.

SUGGESTION: Give us a "Mark *component* as obsolete" checkbox in the design list so that we have more control over which components are considered "latest"! (sure, the design screen will probably need to be made larger, but a general overhaul of this screen would not be bad anyway)

< Message edited by onomastikon -- 2/17/2012 9:11:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems - 2/19/2012 11:54:11 PM   
Chet Guiles

I totally agree that the design screen needs to be able to be set up so the AI will leave our designs alone. The idea onomastikon suggests, to have a toggle on tech items so we can select which ones are "available" to upgrading, would make the process much friendlier. As it is I don't do any automatic upgrading for that very reason. (With the exception of civilian ships, which I let the Ai default to whatever it likes)

The ability to look at segments of the total number of ships is good, but when we manually adjust something, the AI will make a new design, often reverting to inferior tech, which the game will automatically use in building new ships. Also the AI turns those inferiorated designs back to white type so that it looks like they are the oeriginal unmodified designs, fooling you into assuming they are obsolete, but actually the game selects them for new shipbuilding. The colored font for manually modified ships is an idea that does not add much except confusion to the game.

Great game -- could benefit from some ship design improvements!

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems - 2/21/2012 12:37:52 AM   
Morelyn

The design screen is buggy as hell, I'm afraid.

Even when I have a design set to both Upgrade Manual and Retrofit Manual I have to watch or the AI might very well decide to take those ships off and "retrofit" them to some lesser design. It's especially fond of doing this with the advanced alien ships I run across, helpfully retrofitting them to my own much inferior technology....grrrr!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems - 3/9/2012 12:21:19 PM   
Gas Can

I thank I know why. For example, in tech level 3, the quantum reactor is considered superior to the Nova reactor according to the tech tree order regardless of their performance. Also when laser cannon and phase cannon are in equivalent position, the program prefer laser cannon as it is listed higher in the tech tree.

Post #: 4
RE: 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems - 3/9/2012 4:45:53 PM   
scotten_usa

quote:

ORIGINAL: onomastikon

SUGGESTION: Give us a "Mark *component* as obsolete" checkbox in the design list so that we have more control over which components are considered "latest"! (sure, the design screen will probably need to be made larger, but a general overhaul of this screen would not be bad anyway)

I like it. As the Dhayuts, I had my awesome, race-specific hyper drives (forget their name right now) replaced with Cal-lista drives when using Auto upgrade. I was not amused.

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.10 Upgrading problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI