Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best (cheesiest) tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Best (cheesiest) tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/24/2012 9:20:35 PM   
ghend

Just build a max size (for your tech level) starbase in the AI's home system filled with nothing but lasers, preferably in line with the orbit of its home planet. Then declare war after it's done. Hell, build several. The AI will just let them finish and then smash all their fleets against it when war is declared.

Anyone got any other hilarious cheese tactics against the AI?
Post #: 1
RE: Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/24/2012 10:03:35 PM   
Theluin

I sometimes build a ship crammed full of devastator pulses and park it over the AI homeworld before declaring war. As soon as the DOW is sent anything that's flying there (and usually that's the AI's main fleet) get's insta-zapped If you really want to be mean you can park such ships at every AI planet and then watch as their military strength is instantly reduced tenfold

< Message edited by Theluin -- 8/24/2012 10:04:27 PM >

(in reply to ghend)
Post #: 2
RE: Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/25/2012 1:02:43 AM   
Pipewrench

lol!

that reminds me of a line you both should use before you declare war.

You talking to me?!!!

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 3
RE: Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/25/2012 4:19:44 AM   
Panpiper

I think technology selling for profit is pretty cheesy, though awfully tempting.

The cheesy tactic I use is to build 40+ high tech labs pretty much first thing right at the start of the game without building any other labs. This allows me to put effectively the whole of my research potential into doing a high tech blitz to unlock and build the high tech wonders. That gives me a +100% research advantage over all other races that they can never match (unless they get REAL lucky, but I am outbuilding the AI for explorers too, so if anyone gets lucky, it's going to be me). I balance my labs later after I've unlocked a couple of other colonization options.

By the way, that's two small facilities each with 20 labs, not 40 separate high tech bases, plus the labs I leave in my upgraded spaceport. Those early research labs don't need much more than their labs and the essentials. They won't be sticking around long enough to need weapons, shields and such. After I've done with the high tech specialization, I re-upgrade my home planet starport to include 20 of all three lab types (all I'll likely ever need), so I can keep my scientists in a single, extremely protected spot.

< Message edited by Panpiper -- 8/25/2012 6:54:06 AM >

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 4
RE: Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/25/2012 4:46:14 AM   
ghend

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panpiper

I think technology selling for profit is pretty cheesy, though awfully tempting.

The cheesy tactic I use is to build 20+ high tech labs pretty much first thing right at the start of the game without building any other labs. This allows me to put effectively the whole of my research potential into doing a high tech blitz to unlock and build the high tech wonders. That gives me a +100% research advantage over all other races that they can never match (unless they get REAL lucky, but I am outbuilding the AI for explorers too, so if anyone gets lucky, it's going to be me). I balance my labs later after I've unlocked a couple of other colonization options.

It depends on what race you're playing tbh. If you're playing Gizureans then I don't think even that'll help you out tech the AI because they are just that dumb. If you go straight for the high speed shipyards however you can fully exploit their ridiculous rate of reproduction via spamming colony ships and swamp their tech with sheer numbers.

(in reply to Panpiper)
Post #: 5
RE: Best (cheesiest) tactics - 8/25/2012 7:29:01 AM   
Theluin

I think just playing the gizzies is cheesy as it's quite easy to get over 100% reproduction rate with them. If one does what Ghend said, then one can pretty much swarm the galaxy in a few years.

(in reply to ghend)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Best (cheesiest) tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI