Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Meridian to Majestic: Hartwig (Lokasenna) (J) vs obvert (A) (Bullwinkle's from 7/41-11/44)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Meridian to Majestic: Hartwig (Lokasenna) (J) vs obvert (A) (Bullwinkle's from 7/41-11/44) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Meridian to Majestic: Hartwig (Lokasenna) (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2018 11:50:22 AM   
obvert

A new AAR. A new challenge.

I'll be taking on Lokasenna in continuation of the game he's been playing with Bullwinkle. Loka is a tough Japanese opponent and although the Allied side has been making progress, the Japanese still hold the VP ratio firmly in hand, and the Allies have a lot of work to do yet.

I'll be taking over on Nov 30 1944, the day after a KB strike that sank a few BBs and various amphibs as they moved on Oosthaven. The landings were successful in terms of taking the base.

I won't be doing a daily AAR (most likely) but will update the situation to start and then give short updates and pics as well as asking for a lot of advice as I move on. I've worked on the turn for about 20 hours already trying to get things in order. It's daunting, confusing, chaotic and hard work to take over a game for the Allies at this stage!! I am parcelling out the work and since there is action ongoing, I have to make sure I know what is going where immediately.

In addition, every player has their own style, and while Bullwinkle has done well in many aspects of the game, we set things up very differently. I decided to have a go at pilot management and air group settings first, and I've been stunned at the scope of the Allied equipment at this stage. Getting there, but it's a lot to take care of and get in an order I understand.

Here is the info screen and I'll post some map shots after.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/30/2019 8:25:36 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 12:21:48 PM   
obvert

In the DEI Oosthaven is a good bridgehead for threatening Palembang. I won't be going there though.

Bullwinkle has had a lot of units planning and focusing on Sumatra, including a Sabang invasion that is stalled and a few more on the way in. I will stop those. I don't get much from owning this territory, but I can now really threaten to hit both the oil and any TFs trying to pull it out, so Oosthaven will be a great Allied airbase soon.

I will shift gears in a different direction for prep and future invasions.

Batavia is the main level 9 base here, and a lot of SCTFs and amphibs are based here, loaded up. They will all unload, and I've moved a ton of CAP in to try and protect from any follow on strikes. The IJ sweeps from Palembang, and hit this base last turn with about 1:1 results. It'll take a few turns to feel secure here.

Some ships will run, some cripples will hide out, and some DDs will charge in hoping to confuse and distract anything going in for the kill. If I can get through the next 2-3 turns without losing a bunch of APA, further CVE and BB, and keep the CAP intact at Batavia, things will be looking up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/14/2018 1:53:54 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:00:47 PM   
obvert

On the other side of the DEI the Allies have established a solid investment on Mindanao, where Davao is a major base and Cotabato is besieged. A large Japanese force is holding out there and the Allies are threatening to send in more troops and eventually overwhelm them.

Half of Borneo is now under Allied control, and Miri is in easy range of Allied bombers. Tarakan was recently captured and the Allies look to be inching around to the South China Sea. I like this move, and this will most likely continue in some sporadic, cheap way. No big ships or big LCUs involved. There are enough bases that Japan can't hold them all, so I just have to prep some small units and paras to take the empty or almost empty ones. Recon will tell me more next turn.

Southern Luzon looks attractive, as do Leyte and other islands nearby. I need quick access to bases in range of the HI, and the Pi looks like the best possible solution. That said, I'm sure Loka knows that as well, and he does know what I'm interested in here. I play Japan, after all, so I know strat bombing will get to the end most effectively.

I also like the clear bases on the Chinese coast. There are several ways to approach those, and I'll be looking at all of them. First things first, though. I'll need to shore up the newly captured Borneo bases and get some interdiction into the South China Sea resource path to the HI.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:16:19 PM   
obvert

I think these are the kami borders. Does this look right?

Essentially whatever I do next will activate them. (I can't see where they'd be active yet, but I haven't asked, so I might just confirm that with Loka).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:22:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Don't forget to post any photos you came across of Bullwinkle in shorts or bro-tank.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:23:31 PM   
Canoerebel

When you received the file from Loka (or Bullwinkle?), what was the first thing you looked at?

What were the first few things you zeroed in on to gauge where thing stood and what seemed to be your best opportunities going forward? You'll be covering that as you continue, no doubt, but I'm wondering what your first quick glances covered and what deductions you might've made.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:24:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Don't forget to post any photos you came across of Bullwinkle in shorts or bro-tank.

... sitting on his lawn drinking a Singapore Sling with his pet parrot on his shoulder?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:34:56 PM   
obvert

quote:

When you received the file from Loka (or Bullwinkle?), what was the first thing you looked at?

What were the first few things you zeroed in on to gauge where thing stood and what seemed to be your best opportunities going forward? You'll be covering that as you continue, no doubt, but I'm wondering what your first quick glances covered and what deductions you might've made.

Good question.

I knew there had been a battle at Oosthaven, so I first looked at that to see how much I could extricate and what the Allied side had gained in the advance.

After that I of took in the current borders, where units were in opposition within the same hex, and what recon showed in those areas about nearby bases.

Then I had a look for the Allied CVs, where they are currently, and what I still have available. Ship losses was probably next, and then a quick look at airframe pools, especially concentrating on 3rd gen fighters (P-47, P-51, Spit VIII, Corsairs) and 4E.

After a while I started cruising around to specific bases and looked through everything. I could go on ...

... about an hour later I thought, "Am I really trying to take on a third game that is an end of war Allied campaign?"

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/14/2018 2:43:30 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 2:45:43 PM   
obvert

This is something else important to note.

These are the only Chinese units left in the game!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 9
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 3:14:35 PM   
Lowpe

Good luck. Watch out for 2000 foot bombing runs...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 3:23:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I think these are the kami borders. Does this look right?

In about 99 percent of games kamikazes are VP generators for the Allies. Now, this might be the one percent where they don't, but only if you get reckless.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 4:01:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Bullwinkle didn't name his new carriers things like Death from Above and Emperor Norton, did he?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 12
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 8:53:22 PM   
obvert

quote:

Bullwinkle didn't name his new carriers things like Death from Above and Emperor Norton, did he?

Nothing quite like that, no!

He stayed more within tradition.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 9:13:19 PM   
obvert

Here are the CV losses. Not too bad. There are 23 CVEs sunk on the Allied side though, which is a chunk. Not unexpected though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 9:34:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

... sitting on his lawn drinking a Singapore Sling with his pet parrot on his shoulder?

...during antler season is best.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 15
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 9:36:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Stonewall Jackson? I've always said that the USS Appomattox Courthouse or the USS Sherman would be amongst the first names I would select.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 16
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/14/2018 11:40:28 PM   
Bullwinkle58

If you have X-ray eyes you can see me in this picture, standing in the control room right below the bridge. A very cold December morning off the coast of Florida.

Attachment (1)

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 3:25:44 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

If you have X-ray eyes you can see me in this picture, standing in the control room right below the bridge. A very cold December morning off the coast of Florida.

Ah! So! That makes much more sense then.

688i?

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 18
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 3:49:29 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Looking forward to this one. Good luck, Obvert.

How does the rest of the world look, such as NORPAC, CENPAC, SOPAC and SWPAC?

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 10:48:29 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Looking forward to this one. Good luck, Obvert.

How does the rest of the world look, such as NORPAC, CENPAC, SOPAC and SWPAC?

Cheers,
CC

I'll post some maps.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 20
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 10:55:36 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

My dream as a kid was to be on one of these for a cruise or two.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 21
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 11:01:52 AM   
obvert

Burma is a bit clogged up. This game didn't have an HR on buying out units to cross national borders, so Loka apparently wiped China with a lot of Manchurian troops (somehow without activating the Russians) and many of the Chinese Expeditionary Army made it all of the way to Burma. That is a lot of IJA in this area, and the Allies are bogged down.

Rangoon is dicey right now. A few Indian divisions will be moving in within the next few turns to try and hold against a healthy 1800AV IJA force, and 250AV there now are well fortified but beaten up. If these units can hold it'll be a really good bastion for the Allies to contain a large Japanese Army that is playing with fire staying so far forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 22
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 12:24:47 PM   
obvert

The Central Pacific is fine with the Marianas held by the Japanese but Truk taken, so the LOC from the WC is good. Most stuff heads through Rabaul and Hollandia along the top of New Guinea toward the Moluccas, Mindanao, the Celebes and Borneo.

The Allies also own Marcus, which can be made into a great recon base of the HI. It's a level 1 field now and I'll start trying to build it up, but it'll take some time.

Wolaei also makes a great search base and can keep an eye on any movements toward Babeldaob, hopefully allowing some sub encounters and DD runs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/15/2018 4:01:52 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 23
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 12:33:55 PM   
obvert

The North and the Kuriles apparently have been well fortified. The allies hold the Aleutians and have Shemya built up to level 7, so the Allies could elect to strat bomb Hokkaido and Sakhalin from here. It's 35 hexes to Sapporo, and 33 to Kushiro with its 861 resources. Looks like it's a perfect full load 31 to Shikuka with 25 (6) oil.

I'll at least get the B-29 recons out and start looking around here. This could be a nice low stakes beginning to the strat bombing campaign and also force the Japanese to keep some good fighter and NF groups here to defend.

With no HR on night bombing I'll look to take advantage of that on airfields and ports, and the further I can spread Japanese defensive assets, the better. With such entrenched positions still far forward, I know there will not be enough everywhere. Not enough AA, not enough NF units, even though they may be supersized, and not enough day fighters to go around. I'll aim to hit the least defended spots first, change tactics regularly, and see what his reactions are in the beginning.

It's easier picking up the game as I don't have time pressure or the weight of previous engagements to chip away at my patience. Bullwinkle hit a lot of industry in range, both in the DEI and China, and I'll aim to continue that as well, taking bits out of the machine as I'm able and making him make tough choices.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/15/2018 12:37:01 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 24
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 3:13:04 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Stonewall Jackson? I've always said that the USS Appomattox Courthouse or the USS Sherman would be amongst the first names I would select.

Appomattox and Shilo were two of my choices in my current game.

And, of course, being a Floridian, I now have cruisers named St. Petersburg and Jacksonville.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 3:15:22 PM   
Lowpe

You are really going to have a lot of fun with the game. Good luck!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 26
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 3:17:08 PM   
MBF

Do you have any info on the assault on Truk ? The last time I attacked it in my AI game by BBs got roughed up some and needed paint jobs

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 27
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 4:05:00 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBF

Do you have any info on the assault on Truk ? The last time I attacked it in my AI game by BBs got roughed up some and needed paint jobs

I don't, no. I got about a week of combat reports, and a lot of background from Bullwinkle, but no reports back that far. It's been a lot to just see what's happening right now, so I thin kI'll mostly focus forward and ask questions of Bullwinkle as I think of them. He's been really supportive and has filled me in on a couple of mysteries already. He's been checking in so might post on it if he has time and energy too.

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 28
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 7:21:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

With obvert's indulgence in a hijack I can fill in some history. Girl of the Prairie is in Texas this week and I'm home with flu, so I could use the diversion. I have all of the reports (all hail the Archive switch!), so I can post some tidbits. If nothing else this will give obvert a view into how Loka does certain things.

Everything in this game was late on my side. Many reasons for that, but suffice to say that I went across CentPac late in game terms. Not in historic, but the game doesn't work that way. My intention was to do a pretty historic pattern: CentPac to the Marianas, a New Guinea secondary, and avoid the rat's nest of the DEI if possible. It didn't work out that way.

Before I show any Truk CRs it's important to see how Ponape went. Loka's philosophy is to massively defend what ought to be massively defended. He doesn't dink around; he doesn't try to defend everything. He is utterly analytical about VP exchange ratios and has no emotional connection to his forces. They're just pieces to him. He is a lot like Nemo was in that respect. I am not, and he used that against me. My fault, but it's a weakness in me. I love my ships.

So after slogging through the Gilberts and Marshalls pretty much, I went after Ponape. It was a fortress, but I couldn't leave it. There were a lot of preliminary days of bombardment, Netty strikes, a lot of mines, pretty heavy sub ops, and then days of bombardment after the initial landings. This is the first day of real attacks. Forts were Level 5 as I recall. Defensive numbers at this point were down from 70,000+ men at the start of the landings. YOu can see what I invested to be able to even begin to compete on this island.

Ground combat at Ponape (119,113)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 54558 troops, 1070 guns, 1326 vehicles, Assault Value = 2187

Defending force 36760 troops, 403 guns, 74 vehicles, Assault Value = 1120

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 4

Allied adjusted assault: 2174

Japanese adjusted defense: 3023

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1690 casualties reported
Squads: 48 destroyed, 45 disabled
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 28 (3 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
6498 casualties reported
Squads: 58 destroyed, 873 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 128 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 69 disabled
Guns lost 166 (8 destroyed, 158 disabled)
Vehicles lost 146 (14 destroyed, 132 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st Marine Division
3rd Marine Division
754th Tank Battalion
1st/102nd Infantry Battalion
193rd Tank Battalion
766th Tank Battalion
767th Tank Battalion
4th USMC Tank Battalion
40th Infantry Division
27th Infantry Division
24th Infantry/A Division
1st USMC Amphb Tank Battalion
24th Infantry/B Division
145th USA Base Force
607th Coast AA Regiment
810th Engineer Aviation Battalion
14th Marine Defense Battalion
10th Marine Defense Battalion
XIV US Corps
41st Aviation Base Force
22nd USN Naval Construction Regiment
15th Marine Defense Battalion
148th Field Artillery Battalion
181st Field Artillery Regiment
23rd USN Naval Construction Regiment

Defending units:
3rd South Seas Gsn
28th Ind.Mixed Brigade
Sasebo 6th SNLF
32nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
52nd Naval Guard Unit
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
Det. 3rd Special Base Force
Maizuru 1st SNLF
41st Naval Guard Unit
4th Guards Division
24th JNAF AF Unit
50th JNAF Coy
1st JNAF AF Unit
41st JNAF AF Unit
5th Air Division
2nd Medium Mortar Battalion
Ponape Naval Fortress
45th Ind.AA Gun Co
64th Field AA Battalion
109th JAAF AF Bn

Seven days of Allied bombardments, minesweeping, and sub ops west of the island followed. A strong IJN carrier force was sighted and engaged by subs, to no avail. Many IJN BB TFs. Sparring with 2E torpedo bombers. On the seventh day this:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ponape at 119,113

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 77 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 36 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 31
N1K1-J George x 18
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 28
Ki-84r Frank x 26

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 130
SBD-5 Dauntless x 63
TBF-1 Avenger x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 2 destroyed
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 7 destroyed
SBD-5 Dauntless: 15 destroyed, 6 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 13 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Nitiho Maru, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Utide Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Toyooka Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Hakodate Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Nichiren Maru
xAK Tatuno Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Mansei Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Satsuma Maru, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ponape at 118,111

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 34
SBD-5 Dauntless x 15
TBF-1 Avenger x 3

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-5 Dauntless: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa, Bomb hits 1
DD Suzukaze
CA Kako, Bomb hits 1

Loka was making a maximum effort to delay me, damage me, and provide for his garrison. It was exactly the right move in late January 1944.

The next night it continued. More of the KB spotted near Truk, which was a main base. All through this there was also a major landing underway at Kusaie Island. Allied deep raiding DD TFs also engaged transport TFs near Truk and fought off Francis torpedo attacks.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ponape at 117,111, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E Wakamiya, Shell hits 3
E Amakusa
PB Wa 18, Shell hits 1
xAK Tatuno Maru, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Nichiren Maru, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Claxton
DD Foote, Shell hits 1
DD Hudson
DD Thatcher

The next day, Jan. 15, 1944, this shows the correlation of forces on Kusaie. A fairly minor island to most players, but Loka made me pay and pay and pay every step. The daily bombardments continued at Ponape, into the second week. To take some pressure off, extensive bombardments of Rabaul also took place in this period.

Ground combat at Kusaie Island (125,118)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 13069 troops, 407 guns, 236 vehicles, Assault Value = 995

Defending force 18566 troops, 160 guns, 79 vehicles, Assault Value = 605

Japanese ground losses:
82 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st USMC Tank Battalion
158th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
3rd USMC Parachute Battalion
1st USMC Parachute Battalion
298th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
151st Combat Engineer Regiment
138th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
161st Infantry Regiment
102nd Combat Engineer Regiment
34th Combat Engineer Regiment
22nd Marine Regiment
15th NZ Bde /13
6th USA Defense Battalion
143rd USA Base Force
168th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Marine Raider Bn /2
142nd USA Base Force
131st Field Artillery Battalion
I US Corps
7th Marine Defense Battalion
B Det USN Port Svc
18th Marine Defense Battalion
26th USN Naval Construction Regiment
29th USN Naval Const Rgt /9
36th Aviation Base Force
198th Field Artillery Battalion
1881th Engineer Aviation Battalion
17th USN Naval Construction Regiment
511th Cst AA Rgt /13

Defending units:
78th Naval Guard Unit
37th Division
23rd Nav Gd Unit
52nd Construction Battalion
56th JNAF AF Unit
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
97th JAAF AF Bn

It was not until the 21st that the allies tried another Deliberate on Ponape. It went fairly well, but the clock continued to move.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 63525 troops, 1221 guns, 1585 vehicles, Assault Value = 2151

Defending force 34650 troops, 376 guns, 74 vehicles, Assault Value = 1003

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Allied adjusted assault: 2715

Japanese adjusted defense: 1507

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2572 casualties reported
Squads: 61 destroyed, 77 disabled
Non Combat: 31 destroyed, 36 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 47 (10 destroyed, 37 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1590 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 214 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 32 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 48 (1 destroyed, 47 disabled)
Vehicles lost 74 (2 destroyed, 72 disabled)

Assaulting units:
24th Infantry/B Division
767th Tank Battalion
754th Tank Battalion
766th Tank Battalion
27th Infantry Division
24th Infantry/A Division
3rd Marine Division
1st Marine Division
40th Infantry Division
4th USMC Tank Battalion
193rd Tank Battalion
24th Infantry/C Division
145th USA Base Force
41st Aviation Base Force
607th Coast AA Regiment
XIV US Corps

Defending units:
Maizuru 1st SNLF
41st Naval Guard Unit
Det. 3rd Special Base Force
32nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
28th Ind.Mixed Brigade
Sasebo 6th SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
52nd Naval Guard Unit
4th Guards Division
5th Air Division
64th Field AA Battalion
1st JNAF AF Unit
41st JNAF AF Unit
3rd South Seas Gsn
45th Ind.AA Gun Co
50th JNAF Coy
24th JNAF AF Unit
2nd Medium Mortar Battalion
Ponape Naval Fortress
109th JAAF AF Bn

The same day Kusaie continued to be a meat grinder.

Ground combat at Kusaie Island (125,118)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 46692 troops, 805 guns, 718 vehicles, Assault Value = 1568

Defending force 17371 troops, 156 guns, 75 vehicles, Assault Value = 550

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 5

Allied adjusted assault: 1387

Japanese adjusted defense: 1097

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 5)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1156 casualties reported
Squads: 60 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 26 disabled
Guns lost 21 (12 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1775 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 152 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 68 disabled
Vehicles lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Over the succeeding week the supply at Kusaie was eliminated and the island took big hits for the Allies. Ponaper ops continued to be intense, with the KB lurking out fo sight tot he west and sprinting in for hits. Allied night bomabrdemnts over several night.s Then another attack on the 29th.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 66320 troops, 1291 guns, 1660 vehicles, Assault Value = 2290

Defending force 32588 troops, 345 guns, 70 vehicles, Assault Value = 901

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Allied adjusted assault: 2435

Japanese adjusted defense: 947

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: HQ(+)

Japanese ground losses:
2947 casualties reported
Squads: 70 destroyed, 87 disabled
Non Combat: 57 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Guns lost 56 (29 destroyed, 27 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Allied ground losses:
1841 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 231 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 48 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 52 (1 destroyed, 51 disabled)
Vehicles lost 45 (4 destroyed, 41 disabled)

The next day another without rest.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 58685 troops, 1189 guns, 1545 vehicles, Assault Value = 2067

Defending force 30172 troops, 318 guns, 69 vehicles, Assault Value = 804

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Allied adjusted assault: 2062

Japanese adjusted defense: 809

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2535 casualties reported
Squads: 142 destroyed, 32 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 52 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 43 (24 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1461 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 106 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 110 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 57 (2 destroyed, 55 disabled)
Vehicles lost 210 (63 destroyed, 147 disabled)

February 2nd.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 58394 troops, 1193 guns, 1529 vehicles, Assault Value = 1981

Defending force 27841 troops, 275 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 723

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Allied adjusted assault: 2294

Japanese adjusted defense: 1569

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2949 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 86 destroyed, 69 disabled
Engineers: 14 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 46 (25 destroyed, 21 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
1397 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 169 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 57 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Vehicles lost 118 (25 destroyed, 93 disabled)

Feb 3. The island falls. A huge stack goes into the jungle.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 45771 troops, 967 guns, 1385 vehicles, Assault Value = 1831

Defending force 24891 troops, 240 guns, 65 vehicles, Assault Value = 612

Allied adjusted assault: 1248

Japanese adjusted defense: 221

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Ponape !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3597 casualties reported
Squads: 66 destroyed, 113 disabled
Non Combat: 45 destroyed, 56 disabled
Engineers: 85 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 92 (77 destroyed, 15 disabled)
Vehicles lost 40 (40 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
554 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 101 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 40 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 51 (23 destroyed, 28 disabled)

First day of mopping up. It went on for a long time.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28907 troops, 708 guns, 1088 vehicles, Assault Value = 1880

Defending force 21673 troops, 155 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 398

Allied adjusted assault: 1276

Japanese adjusted defense: 605

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1529 casualties reported
Squads: 111 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 44 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 23 (19 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
965 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 78 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 28 (1 destroyed, 27 disabled)
Vehicles lost 48 (1 destroyed, 47 disabled)

Feb 10th. The last day. Note the number of Allied LCUs committed. They were all in very tough shape and not available for Truk, more or less. Dozens of significant actions have been omitted, including a large number of bombardment runs and 2E and 4E strikes by both sides. It was a very major commitment. I had torpedoed carriers, and as I recall three BBs as well. The supply consumption was through the roof.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 40042 troops, 843 guns, 1260 vehicles, Assault Value = 2038

Defending force 5046 troops, 21 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 8

Allied adjusted assault: 759

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 759 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), fatigue(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6106 casualties reported
Squads: 58 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 697 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 22 (22 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 21 (21 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
24th Infantry/B Division
1st Marine Division
766th Tank Battalion
138th(Sep) Infantry Rgt /15
767th Tank Battalion
193rd Tank Battalion
3rd USMC Parachute Battalion
24th Infantry/C Division
27th Infantry Division
22nd Marine Regiment
151st Combat Engr Rgt /13
40th Infantry Division
1st USMC Parachute Battalion
3rd Marine Division
4th USMC Tank Battalion
24th Infantry/A Division
754th Tank Battalion
1st USMC Tank Bn /6
145th USA Base Force
41st Aviation Base Force
607th Coast AA Regiment
XIV US Corps

Defending units:
4th Guards Division
5th Air Div /1

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: Meridian to Majestic: Lokasenna (J) vs obvert (A) (... - 3/15/2018 7:25:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBF

That happened to me first time out too, and then I figured out that the BBs need to stand off 12-20,000 yards while bombarding until the forts have enough guns knocked out to allow closer approach. One BB bombardment won't do much, you need to keep it up day after day so that disruption becomes disablement which becomes destruction of the guns and crews (support troops). A combination of bombardment and bombing works best. Destroying Truk's supply is also key to keeping the guns from being repaired or replaced.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Meridian to Majestic: Hartwig (Lokasenna) (J) vs obvert (A) (Bullwinkle's from 7/41-11/44) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI