Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Ship Design Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Design - 3/3/2012 7:33:56 PM   
smogg

hi there
i'm new to the game and i have some questions about ship design.

1. do multiple repair drones repair a damaged ship faster than one drone?

2. when i add research modules to a ship, will it do anything? i built one cruiser with 5 high tech research modules, but it didn't show up in my research screen. so i guess its research value won't add to my empire's total ...?

3. similar problem with passenger modules. is it possible to transport civilians with state controlled ships..? i found out that my cruiser with mining modules can be ordered to mine planets and moons (the cursor changes when hovering above a planet/moon), but selecting a cruiser with passenger modules and hovering the cursor above a colony does nothing like that.

i am playing legends 1.7.0.6
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Design - 3/4/2012 3:36:13 AM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Smogg, and welcome to the DW forums!

1. No, multiple repair bots do not accumulate. Only one is needed and only one works per ship/base.

2. Research modules (labs) only work on Space Ports, Starbases, and designated research bases.

3. No, passenger modules on State owned ships are redundant. They only load passengers when
on private passenger vessels. Hope this helps, and enjoy the game!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to smogg)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Design - 3/4/2012 5:23:01 PM   
smogg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
3. No, passenger modules on State owned ships are redundant. They only load passengers when
on private passenger vessels. Hope this helps, and enjoy the game!

thanks, for your quick answer

if i can't order ships to transport population manually, is there any other way to encourage my people to emigrate to a certain colony?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Design - 3/4/2012 8:36:04 PM   
Shadow Tiger

Make the passenger ships fast and don't load them down with too many passenger cabins. Also make sure the starting designs have 2 reactors so they get full hyperdrive speed. I tend to have 8-12 passenger cabins and 30-40 speed on my passenger ships. Seems to work well.

I think the default passenger ship is too big to be built by most races at the start too. Which is why giving it only 8 passenger cabins can help at the start. If they're not getting built that would put a damper on your migration.

(in reply to smogg)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Design - 3/5/2012 7:55:04 AM   
feelotraveller

People tend to migrate to colonies which have low tax and high development levels.  So set tax to zero at destination colony and try to get your culture up there as well.

(in reply to Shadow Tiger)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Design - 4/22/2012 1:55:58 AM   
Abraxis

While repair drones don't stack, It's worth noting that putting a few extra on board is beneficial. If you only have one, and it gets damaged, you're out of luck. If you have 3 and one gets damaged, you still get the benefits of one of them. This and the fact that they're so small means throwing 2 or 3 into your designs isn't a bad idea imo. Having multiple on board just reduces your chances of being left without.

< Message edited by Abraxis -- 4/22/2012 1:58:53 AM >

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Design - 5/23/2012 4:31:47 PM   
Beag

Hi there, bought this game 5 days ago and getting the hang of it (was experienced with 4x before, so not that hard).

I wonder, do people make specialized designs, and how? Playing as Zenox I usually make ships (in point blank-stance) with weapons that have high firepower but high damage reduction over range, and since their shields are superior I can deal a good pounding while dealing even more, and win. But what about other races? For example, is it worth to build missile boats with the race that has better thrusters and strike from as far as possible? Because if that works, I could save a lot by not putting heavy shields.

Enjoying the game a lot, so far my best moment was when a pirate cruiser attacked a young colony, only to be chewed by a silvermist that arrived soon after. Unfortunatedly the thing ate my colony as well XD

Cheers!

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Ship Design Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI