Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Happy Pearl Harbor Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Happy Pearl Harbor Day Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Happy Pearl Harbor Day - 12/8/2002 3:37:27 AM   
Brigz

Pearl Harbor Day. It's very interesting to note, over time, how the significance of this anniversary has deminished in public opinion. Not to ignore that all historical events tend to fade as time goes on, but this date, for all those bemoaning the world dominance of the US, marks the beginning of the journey for the US to super power status. We started with one of the most unprepared and small armies in the world and four years later ended up as the only country with the ability to wreak nuclear havoc on any country on the planet. I'd say this date is equally significant for those concerned with the power of the US and those who percieve safety in her strength.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Post #: 1
- 12/8/2002 4:02:18 AM   
CCB

I don't think I'd go with the term 'Happy Pearl Harbor Day', though (you know unless you're like Japanese).

Perhaps 'In Remembrance of December 7th'.

The Australians/New Zealanders know it as December 8th.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 2
Re: Happy Pearl Harbor Day - 12/8/2002 4:53:02 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]...the beginning of the journey for the US to super power status.[/B][/QUOTE] :(

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 3
- 12/8/2002 6:21:49 AM   
Randy

If we are to learn anything from the attack on Pearl Harbor, we must remember to be strong and vigilant!

December 7, 1941, a day which will live in infamy...

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 4
- 12/8/2002 2:16:31 PM   
NaKATPase

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCB
[B]I don't think I'd go with the term 'Happy Pearl Harbor Day', though (you know unless you're like Japanese).

[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't think that it would even be a happy day for the Japanese, seeing as it marked the beginning of the end... although the end of military-industrial rule might be viewed as a good thing...

NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.

"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 5
- 12/9/2002 12:46:35 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCB
[B]I don't think I'd go with the term 'Happy Pearl Harbor Day', though (you know unless you're like Japanese).

Perhaps 'In Remembrance of December 7th'.

The Australians/New Zealanders know it as December 8th. [/B][/QUOTE]

As I usually do, I was being a bit sarcastic about the "happy" part. The political climate today leaves many wondering how to "remember" the event.

I did live in Japan for three years. They don't say much about Pearl Harbor but they sure do think August 6th is the most infamous day in the history of planet earth. :rolleyes:

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 6
- 12/9/2002 1:01:53 AM   
slickric

What would be so happy about the unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor? Lets see that would be like saying Happy Nagasaki day for the Japanese! How about happy Ted Bundy day.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 7
- 12/9/2002 1:25:18 AM   
slickric

What the ****, man this topic and thread is just so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 8
- 12/9/2002 1:35:52 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slickric
[B]What would be so happy about the unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor? Lets see that would be like saying Happy Nagasaki day for the Japanese! How about happy Ted Bundy day. [/B][/QUOTE]

See my posting right above yours. I guess you didn't read it before you posted. It explains my use of the word "happy". But I'll repeat the reason for my sarcasm. Many people today don't know what to think of the aniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. One reason...because time fades events. Reason two (the root of my sarcasm)... many people would rather ignore that it ever happened because they are too concerned about political correctness and don't want to offend Japanese Americans. Get it now?

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 9
- 12/9/2002 1:38:09 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slickric
[B]What the ****, man this topic and thread is just so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Please explain.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 10
- 12/9/2002 8:59:08 AM   
Twotribes

They ( they whiners and bedwetters) have already tried to change the War into an act of aggression and vengence by the USA. LOL, we didnt even want to be in it. The Smithsonian had a tirade about the war that basicly tried to place the dropping of the bomb as an unnecassary act of vengence on the part of the USA, as I recall they got called on it and had to water it down.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 11
- 12/9/2002 12:39:36 PM   
slickric

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]

See my posting right above yours. I guess you didn't read it before you posted. It explains my use of the word "happy". But I'll repeat the reason for my sarcasm. Many people today don't know what to think of the aniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. One reason...because time fades events. Reason two (the root of my sarcasm)... many people would rather ignore that it ever happened because they are too concerned about political correctness and don't want to offend Japanese Americans. Get it now? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes I did read it, its just Happy Pearl Harbor Day don't sit well with me. I am very sensitive Patriotic American plus the second post I was well in to a twelve pack or beer ;)

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Happy Pearl Harbor Day Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI