Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/29/2012 8:40:23 PM   
oogs

"How hard can it be?" ... famous last words.

I was playing a game where I decided to invade a couple homeworlds. I landed there with ~20 troops on each, which meant I had a greater force than the defenders. I also had generals with my troops. I lost both battles, and I didn't get a chance to try again (victory conditions kicked in), which is why I'm wondering - what does it take to invade a homeworld? 2:1 in troop strength? 3:1?
Post #: 1
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/29/2012 8:47:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

The defending troops are backed up by planet militia.2:1 but I use a thing called bombardment weapons.

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 2
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/29/2012 8:55:05 PM   
oogs

I saw they were backed up, but my 20 troops were stronger than their 15 + militia combined.

Edit:

Do bombardment attacks kill everything, or just troops? If I'm going to conquer a homeworld, I'd like some slave labor handy to rebuild it.

(edit: grammar fail)

< Message edited by oogs -- 8/30/2012 2:58:43 AM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/29/2012 10:02:05 PM   
Panpiper

I don't have a lot of experience invading homeworlds. The one time I did it. I landed about 60 troops, realized they weren't doing the trick and reinforced them with another 20. It took a long time, but they were ultimately able to take the planet. Nowadays, I assume I will need 'at least' 100 troops to take a homeworld.

I have not explored bombardment simply because my primary intention in doing the invasion is to capture a high population world. Reducing that population completely defeats the point for me.

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 4
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/30/2012 1:28:51 AM   
Dracus

depending on the race you are attacking there other factors involved beyond just the number of troops. Some races have troop bonuses and defense bonuses. I have seen the dyualt with 176k defend and chew up over 230k in human troops.

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 5
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/30/2012 2:14:32 PM   
Jeeves

I do not start wars until the seventh year, and usually the first invasion is with 120 strength 30k clones. I once experimented with invading the Guardian home world and was losing with 128 troops, due to their habit of putting reserve troops on every warship and keeping lots of troopships loaded up. For the Guardians in year 12 you would need at least 400 troops strength 30k When planning a war, periodically check how many troops the victim has by selecting his home world then mousing over the list of troops. The rightmost of existing troops has a number like 43rd Securan Assassin or whatever. Chances are that would mean that the Securans have 43 troops already. I used to land with 2 or 3 to one odds but now I favor 5 to 10 to 1 odds, war is over much more quickly. Double the number of troops if the colony has a fortified bunker.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 6
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 8/30/2012 2:56:00 PM   
szabferi

Gosh, lucky you are if 20-30 troops are enough... in my game, the enemy homeworlds are so populated, even 60+ troops are not enough even to attempt the conquest.
All their other colonies are virtually not defended (1-5 troop per planet) but the homeworlds are damn strong. Even the number of troops is significantly larger.
I'm really considering to blast them with superlaser or bomb them to oblivion... not useful for me, but otherwise I cant finish those pesky empires.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 7
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/4/2012 4:41:24 PM   
Bentley264

I haven't had much luck invading homeworlds, unless I conquer the other colonies first (destroying their economy and ability to support troops).  I tried bombarding the Refugee homeworld with max tech nukes to no avail.  They had the planet fortress wonder.  Going to try the Death Star next time, plus I am going to research and build the fortress, before someone else does.

Bob

(in reply to szabferi)
Post #: 8
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/4/2012 7:44:30 PM   
scotten_usa

quote:

ORIGINAL: oogs
Do bombardment attacks kill everything, or just troops? If I'm going to conquer a homeworld, I'd like some slave labor handy to rebuild it.

Under the current version (I think), bombardment kills many troops but few people. I normally micromanage bombardment so I don't kill too much.

Also, bombing planets reducing your reputation.

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 9
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/4/2012 8:51:19 PM   
Jim D Burns

Never assume a 1-1 comparison for land units is equal, troop quality/strength varies greatly for all the different races. If you just assume every defending unit you see is a 30k strength veteran unit and bring enough strength to overcome them and their backup militia, you’ll be ok most of the time. I generally assume the militia will be 10k-15k strength per unit. They are probably weaker, but I don’t like to lose so I assume they are decent strength.

Once I have a general estimate of the enemy strength, I try and bring 1.5 - 2 times that in my own strength. This works out pretty well for me and I rarely lose a ground fight.

I never use bombardments, as I don’t like the reputation hit that comes with it.

Jim

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 10
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/5/2012 5:52:41 AM   
Bentley264

Well, I finally conquered the Shakturi home world - took 2500 troops

Bob

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 11
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/5/2012 6:16:36 AM   
Algon

I haven't had much experience with ground battles yet, but having had an AI empire land ~same number of troops on one of my planets as I had, I watched as the battle progressed, and the number of troops on my side increased while theirs decreased. I had the colony recruiting troops prior to the invasion, and it looks like it kept recruiting during the invasion at enough of a rate to eliminate my losses. Seems this might be a slight issue?

(in reply to Bentley264)
Post #: 12
RE: Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? - 9/5/2012 8:16:19 AM   
ehsumrell1

That was working as designed Algon.

Remember that a colony world also has a militia force whose size is based
on the planets population and jumps into the fight when invaded. In addition,
their impact can also be enhanced if a Troop General is also stationed on the
planet as well. I've seen where one enemy troop dropped on a colony with a
medium sized population has been defeated by just the planets militia force
alone. Rare, but it happens! This could also apply as you stated while there
were troops being recruited and seemed to affect the rate. Also, racial traits
could alter the recruitment rate as well.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 9/5/2012 8:18:56 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Conquering homeworlds - how hard can it be? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI