Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sid Meier's Gettysburg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Sid Meier's Gettysburg Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/23/2012 1:37:19 AM   
Icedawg

How does this game compare? I've watched a few videos from YouTube and it seems to be pretty much the same - slightly better graphics and smoother game flow, but rather similar, at least on the surface.
Post #: 1
RE: Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/23/2012 1:53:26 AM   
Blond_Knight

I have alot of fond memories of playing SMG. SOW brings back alot of them. Ofcourse the graphics are better but beyond that the AI is much better. Im still trying to get better using couriers, which is a type of realism that SMG never had.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/23/2012 4:47:49 PM   
LittlePowell_NSD

quote:

slightly better graphics

Sorry, but I had to snicker a little about that. The graphics in SOW are several generations ahead of SMG. Some of the youtube videos are pretty crappy quality, and they don't do it justice.

The game is similar to SMG in several ways, building on what he started with real time tactical combat, but bringing it to a whole new level. You should try out the demo and see what you think.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 3
RE: Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/23/2012 9:01:53 PM   
Blond_Knight

Those SMG scenario intros with the overhead mapview, arm gesturing, and voiceovers would really help set the scene in SOW and be a nice touch of atmosphere.
Im just saying.

(in reply to LittlePowell_NSD)
Post #: 4
RE: Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/28/2012 12:23:16 AM   
NefariousKoel

This game is very similar to the old Sid's Gettysburg, but better in every way. I'd say that SOW is probably my favorite PC wargame - of all time.

You should absolutely get this if you enjoy games based on the Civil War. Run, don't walk.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 5
RE: Sid Meier's Gettysburg - 10/28/2012 6:18:10 AM   
histgamer

Not to be spamish but if you want to see what the game looks like click the link. Included is the preview for Chancellorsville which has better topical look of the game. There is about a 20 second pause at the start of the video without any image and just a narration. Then after the trailer there is some (what I think is) gorgeous 720p game-play of Gettysburg using the HITS (headquarters in the Saddle) view of a Brigade level scenario.

Chancellorsville Trailer Discussion

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Sid Meier's Gettysburg Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI