Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IJA Campaign Released!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> IJA Campaign Released! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IJA Campaign Released! - 10/27/2012 3:10:30 PM   
bebro

Asahi: IJA Campaign for Panzer Corps v1.11
1938-45

Description:

This is the first release of a semi-historical campaign covering battles of the IJA 1938-45. It’s been created under PzC 1.11. It is is single-player only, designed and tested esp. for play in the 3rd difficulty level, but of course you can choose whatever you prefer.

Downloads

Sendspace:
Main Mod
v0.8 GME files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yf2sb9 (ca. 190 MB)
Update
v1.0 Scenario files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ria9uz (ca. 250 kb)
v1.0 GME files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/03nspf (ca. 11 MB)

Please install all three files above to have the most recent version.

Installation Help

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dqxpx (PDF)

Installation:

This campaign needs GME. If you never used it, please see here how to download and set it up, this needs to be done first:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27158

Please remember to use the installation guide:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dqxpx

Please follow the instructions there to install the mod including updates. If you still have problems or think the guide should be improved, please post here.

Infos about changes, unit traits, campain path, special features, credits and more are available in the customized in-game library, and I highly recommend to consult it to understand key concepts, fundamental changes etc., etc.. :)

Some facts:

1. This campaign includes a couple of features which are not in the USMC campaign:
- specific land transports required for certain units (like towing heavy arty or AA)
- in-game messages, changing scenario objectives, units can be captured in some scenarios
- features that were not working fully in the USMC mod do now, like awards, random bonus units etc.

2. Terrain and naval warfare rules are taken from USMC. So you have three levels of jungle, capital ships cannot enter shallow sea hexes, and naval firing ranges are increased compared to vanilla.

3. Early on there is not much motorization, but in the first scenarios you can live without it. Some unit entry dates are ahistorical for gameplay reasons. The idea is that you need to distinguish yourself in combat before you get access to better transports or heavier guns. When the campaign progresses, more and more equipment becomes available (roughly) on historical dates.

4. It's worth to study maps in the beginning, think what you need and to be a bit creative with the reserve pool. Early units can be quite vulnerable, but are cheap and get xp quickly.

5. Map design was even more problematic than for USMC. There are probably quite some geographical errors. Feedback and suggestions are welcome of course.

Credits and Thanks:

Specifically for the IJA campaign I want to thank Kerloc for providing several 3d models used to make some types of Japanese artillery, light anti-air and tankette units. Once again VPaulus has done a terrific job in adapting his Real Sound Mod for use with the IJA campaign.

The custom graphics for the 'shallow sea' terrain made by rezaf for the USMC campaign are used here too. I also use the icon for Romanian inf made by Dragos for Dutch inf, since Romanians used those Dutch helmets. The maps for the scenarios at Lake Khasan and Khalkhyn Gol were provided by nikivdd, those for Darwin and Singapore are converted from PG2 maps using Wino's FPGE tool. I think these maps were made originally by William Dickens and Andreas Seidel (if anyone knows better please drop me a note). Thanks everyone!

This mod is more complex than USMC, so there's also more that can go wrong. I tested a lot myself, and found no grave errors, but at some point you need independant feedback. Hope you guys enjoy the mod! :)

< Message edited by orbeb -- 1/19/2013 11:06:07 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 10/28/2012 12:08:20 PM   
demyansk

That looks great - nice work

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 2
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/4/2012 2:21:33 PM   
bebro

Thank you :)

Meanwhile I also revealed the final campaign path, oiverall 21 scenarios.

Like the USMC campaing the focus here is on air-land combat, since PzC is not geared so much towards pure naval scns IMO. So for example the Leyte scn is about the land battle following the US landings, not the famous naval batttle in the Leyte Gulf.

< Message edited by orbeb -- 11/4/2012 2:22:00 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 3
IJA Campaign Preview - 11/9/2012 4:24:26 PM   
simpatico

Oh yes!

This is what I've been waiting for. Enjoyed playing Pacific General but can't get it to work any more on newer PCs even with DOS emulator DOSBOX (useful for playing other older games like PG1 & Steel Panthers)

Campaign path looks good, would have been nice to play early war in China or have a choice between playing China & Mother Russia but can't have everything.

Please keep us updated with deveopments.

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 4
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/10/2012 4:14:04 PM   
bebro

Yeah, the war in China would cetainly be an interesting subject. But it would need much more research and work to implement that too, so for this campaign I limited it to the border clashes vs. the USSR plus the PacWar :)

With a bit of luck I can have the mod ready in early December...

(in reply to simpatico)
Post #: 5
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/29/2012 4:31:51 PM   
bebro

'lil' Update: if nothing goes terribly wrong I plan to release the campaign this weekend :)

Title art preview:
http://i.imgur.com/UsqOM.jpg?1

And some facts:

1. It's focussing on battles of the Imperial Japanese Army.
This means two things: naval combat plays a relative small role, and core equipment is usually army equipment. Both the IJA and IJN operated ground forces, aircraft and even warships (though the army mostly transport and smaller craft) but often used different types which will influence what you can buy.

As a rule of thumb, your core is IJA-equipment, and usual anything belonging to the navy is aux units. There are a few exceptions regarding bonus units.

2. Re naval combat, as much as it would be interesting in any Pacific mod the PzC engine is more geared towards ground combat. You will get naval action in some scenarios, but I did not include any large scale air-naval battles like Midway because it creates quite some headaches for modders, and I simply had to cut workload at some point.

3. This campaign is based on PzC 1.11, and includes a couple of features which are not in the USMC campaign:
- specific land transports required for certain units (like towing heavy arty or AA)
- in-game messages, changing scenario objectives, units can be captured in some scenarios
- features that were not working fully in the USMC mod do now, like awards, random bonus units etc.

< Message edited by orbeb -- 11/29/2012 4:43:54 PM >

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 6
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/29/2012 8:58:38 PM   
planner 3

This will require JSGME won't it ?

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 7
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/29/2012 9:18:42 PM   
dsawan

Can you make it so jgsme is not required. I usually make a modded folder and just throw files in. Did that with the Bulge mod and market garden. Also, do you plan on doing the fictional invasion of Japan down the line in future. I know that requires a lot of work. Thanks. I look forward to this campaign as well.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 8
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/30/2012 6:39:12 AM   
bebro

Well, it will not work without JS' generic mod enabler. The "normal" PzC campaign system works with modded files only to a certain extent. For example if you have lots of customized gfx for units etc. the game will get in trouble without GME.

I know it's a bit of a hassle dealing with GME all the time, but until PzC's moddir function gets enhanced to deal with all moddable files I see no other way.

As for extending the campaign - I haven't decided yet. There are also historical battles still not in - China, some more in the Pacific etc.

< Message edited by orbeb -- 11/30/2012 6:43:31 AM >

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 9
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 11/30/2012 4:56:42 PM   
planner 3

orbeb thanks for reply, would have enjoyed ur mod

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 10
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/1/2012 1:50:19 PM   
bebro

The campaign has been released :)

Please go to the first post for infos and download links.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 11
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/13/2012 4:14:19 PM   
Sapa

Is it possible to upload or link to another place?

Because the f....ng Swedish Governmet has blocked gamefront! I really would try your great mod!

And i thought Sweden was the land of democracy :(

Mats

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 12
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/13/2012 4:54:58 PM   
VPaulus

Mirrors:
GME files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yf2sb9 (ca. 190 MB)
Scenario files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zwzyg6 (ca. 250 kb)

(in reply to Sapa)
Post #: 13
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/13/2012 5:25:22 PM   
Sapa

Ohhh!! Thankyou Thankyou! You have saved my evening, weekend and all of Christmas!

Thanks again!

Mats

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 14
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/15/2012 8:41:10 AM   
bebro

Thx VPaulus indeed. I added the sendspace mirror to the first post now.

Meanwhile there has been a lot of player feedback at Slitherine's. It turned out there are a few little bugs and glitches that need to be fixed. So far it should be nothing really game-breaking, but I intend to fix them nonetheless.

I'm trying to get a small update out as fast as possible.

(in reply to Sapa)
Post #: 15
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/15/2012 9:08:47 AM   
Sapa

I love it! Thankyou wery much :)

A couple of questions..made two maps Saipan and Iwo Jima but cant find the option to play the scenarios..

Is that not possible or is it stupid me?

Mats

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 16
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/15/2012 11:30:55 AM   
bebro

If you want to play your own maps as stand-alone scenarios there should be a possibility, this PDF guide by El_Condoro could help you:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16283408/Panzer%20Corps/Documentation/Quick%20Start%20Guide%20-%20Custom%20Scenarios.pdf

Though if you just have those two maps you need still to have the country-setup and equipment and maybe more for Japan, since the vanilla game has no content for the Pacific so far. Of course you can either mod it in yourself, or take it from mods already out (for example from mine, if you want). Depending on what you add exactly you may need GME at some point.

(in reply to Sapa)
Post #: 17
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/15/2012 11:52:35 AM   
Sapa

I was thinking of just play one map"scenario" in your great mod

Mats

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bebro)
Post #: 18
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 12/21/2012 10:51:37 AM   
Dumnorix

Very nice work !!! You have my full repect - I like to give you some of my vehicle park for your nice mod. I have played the 1st 8 scenarios - very nice. I like to play also the full pazific area in one 1000x1000 hex MP scenario.

Type 4 Ka-Tsu

Izuzu

Type 1 Ho-Ha APS

Kha-go

Chi-ri

H.Balck

< Message edited by Dumnorix -- 12/21/2012 8:21:40 PM >

(in reply to Sapa)
Post #: 19
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 1/13/2013 11:58:51 AM   
Ballermann

@orbeb

thx for this very nice Campaign

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 20
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 1/13/2013 12:02:54 PM   
Ballermann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dumnorix

Very nice work !!! You have my full repect - I like to give you some of my vehicle park for your nice mod.

Type 4 Ka-Tsu
Izuzu
Type 1 Ho-Ha APS
Kha-go
Chi-ri

H.Balck

Thx for this nice units.

But no png´s for this units: Type 1 Ho-Ha APS, Kha-go, Chi-ri ?

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 21
RE: IJA Campaign Preview - 1/19/2013 11:14:55 AM   
bebro

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Meanwhile there are updates available for this campaign. I also put together a PDF installation guide which should provide better info for installing, updating and playing this campaign.

As it seems that gamefront introduced a rather absurd blocking policy for many countries a while ago, I will host my files mostly on sendspace for the time being.

Mod files incl. updates are available here:

Sendspace:
Main Mod
v0.8 GME files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yf2sb9 (ca. 190 MB)
Update
v1.0 Scenario files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ria9uz (ca. 250 kb)
v1.0 GME files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/03nspf (ca. 11 MB)

In short, people who have the first release version only need to apply both updates. For a completely new installation install all three files. Please consult the PDF guide below for instructions how to install or update...

Installation Guide

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dqxpx (PDF)

(links and info also updated in the OP)

< Message edited by orbeb -- 1/19/2013 11:16:21 AM >

(in reply to Ballermann)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> IJA Campaign Released! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI