Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The game is too expensive!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> The game is too expensive! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The game is too expensive! - 5/14/2012 11:16:31 AM   
Antiscamp

Distant Worlds with the two expansions is way too expansive. I added it to my cart on the Matrix page, and it ended up with a result sum of 80 euros. That is way too much, in my opinion. I bought Supreme Commander 2020 by Paradox instead and got the two expansions for that excellent strategy title along. It cost me 9 euros something and I've been having fun with it all weekend.

I think you are losing sales on this. My suggestion is that you go for creating a sale with the two expansions incorporated and place that on Gamer's Gate and/or Steam. That way, this interesting-looking game would receive a lot more attention. The game looks interesting enough and all us thirsty 4X fans would flock around it if it just had a reasonable pricing.

Distant Worlds needs to be seen because there's a lot of bad stuff out there right now in the 4X genre and people are losing hope in the genre overall. I know I am. My suggestion is that you market the game a bit to get focus and adjust the terrible price.
Post #: 1
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/14/2012 3:11:32 PM   
Gzu

I never heard "The [enter random stuff here] is too cheap" :P

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 2
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/14/2012 5:02:06 PM   
tjhkkr

Everyone has their own opinion...

I did not find it too expensive... the designer listens, customer support is good, good game... when I look at the other games that are out there, I find it good cost wise.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gzu)
Post #: 3
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/14/2012 6:24:27 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp
... and place that on Gamer's Gate and/or Steam.

Oh god, no. If they do that, I'll get it from thepiratebay. No way I'm dealing with Steam's wretched approximation of "customer service" again.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 4
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/14/2012 9:47:16 PM   
solops

This does not belong in the Tech support area. I hope a Moderator moves it out of the way.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 5
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 3:16:59 AM   
Dracus

as the euro is worth 1.2453 dollars today. With a little rounding to 1.25 we can see that you would have payed about 100 dollars for the three game disks if you bought the boxed verision. Based on the cost at 34.99 or an even35 dollars a box. You actually got the game 5 dollars cheaper than those of us in the U.S. did.

This game is actually cheap compared to say Skyrim which was 69.95 or WOW which has cost in exp alone over 400 dollars..

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 6
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 7:26:13 AM   
onomastikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dracus

This game is actually cheap compared to say Skyrim which was 69.95 or WOW which has cost in exp alone over 400 dollars..

I didn't understand that. But be that as it may, I believe this forum is for "Technical Support", and this thread belongs with its dozens of cousins discussing pricing in the main forum.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 7
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 8:25:38 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

WOW which has cost in exp alone over 400 dollars..

I have no idea how you managed to do that. Warcraft Battlechest + WotLK + Cata costs about $100.

Did you buy an account?

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 8
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 8:56:56 AM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

This does not belong in the Tech support area. I hope a Moderator moves it out of the way.

You don't need to like Steam, but it sure is a way to get some huge attention for games. Look at that questionable Endless Space beta, for an example. If Distant Worlds would have a Steam sale, here would be a storm of new players.

In my book, Distant Worlds looks far more like a proper 4X strategy game than that said Endless Space. We're all screaming for good 4X games, so why don't they pyut Distant Worlds out there?

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 9
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 3:22:12 PM   
solops

What they have is just fine. Ideal, in fact. Matrix is about the only place I buy games anymore BECAUSE of their distribution system. Putting the game on Steam does not increase exposure, it only changes the distribution method. Gamersgate is far superior to Steam. If a game is only availbale through Steam, I will NOT buy it. I do not put spyware (Steam) on my computer or allow people to tell me when or how I can play (...must be on the internet to play...only get xx re-installs...etc.). Everything my son has bought from Steam has been a nightmare to deal with. Matrix has a superior business model and has the loyal customer base to prove it. Their advertising budget is the only thing limiting product exposure. The price is fine with me.

< Message edited by solops -- 5/15/2012 3:26:51 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 10
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/15/2012 4:49:53 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp
...but it sure is a way to get some huge attention for games.

You're confusing clever marketing with the distributor.

By your argument, any book on Amazon should rake in millions of sales due to Amazon's market position. Any little app on iTunes should be an instant hit. Sadly for authors and Apple developers, that is not the case.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 11
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/16/2012 1:20:48 AM   
Dracus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

WOW which has cost in exp alone over 400 dollars..

I have no idea how you managed to do that. Warcraft Battlechest + WotLK + Cata costs about $100.

Did you buy an account?

I bought the collectors for all and the month fee you pay. I also got a limited edition LK broad sword for my wall plus a number of pets. Anyway the collectors were like nearly 100 each.

That was no battlechest when I first started playing.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 5/16/2012 1:42:36 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/16/2012 5:49:03 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

I bought the collectors for all and the month fee you pay. I also got a limited edition LK broad sword for my wall plus a number of pets. Anyway the collectors were like nearly 100 each.

That was no battlechest when I first started playing.

Ouch! Collectors editions were too expensive for my taste when I looked at it. You paid for them, however - with the full knowledge that you were paying extra for memorabilia. You weren't the only person - Blizzard has raked in a lot of cash on its sale of pets and mounts - so I'm not criticizing you. Hell, I paid for the ex's breast enhancement - hardly functional... though that said, there were a few things that can be done that couldn't be done before the op....

But all the same, it isn't really fair to equate the prices you paid for the "limited edition expansions" to the OP's contention that DW (with expansions) is overpriced.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 13
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/16/2012 10:43:10 AM   
Antiscamp

Very well. But I do hope the developers listen to what I am saying. I had a hard time finding this game. I had not even heard about it before and I actually found it through a Let's Play on YouTube which was linked from another game's Let's Play I was interested in. And when I finally got here, I found it way too expensive to actually buy and went and bought something else. I think there are many more potential Distant Worlders, like me, out there.

There's no exposure AND the game has a terrible price. I do think an opportunity and a great, interesting game is being wasted. And it's most certainly not OK and ideal.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 14
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/17/2012 2:15:14 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

... there should be a Game of the year version , with all three version for around 40 usd, 30 eur ... that would bring more costumers !
So for every ADDON a GOTY Version for 40 USD and an upgrade from the last GOTY or ADDON for 25 USD
to get more costumers ...

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 15
RE: The game is too expensive! - 5/28/2012 10:59:44 PM   
necaradan666

Op is totally correct, I'm in the same boat, I've enjoyed 4x games for many years and only just learned about distant worlds through a lets play on youtube that I stumbled across never known about it before, and when it came to buying I was floored at the $90 cost luckily it was my payday and I didn't really need food that week...

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 16
RE: The game is too expensive! - 12/13/2012 9:54:51 PM   
Antiscamp

Well, I'm back. Half a year or so later. The game is on sale right now until January, which is really commendable. So guess what I told my wife to get me for Christmas. I really hope this present sale gets you a lot of new customers! The game looks really awesome and detailed.

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 17
RE: The game is too expensive! - 12/13/2012 10:21:15 PM   
ASHBERY76

Not sure Elliot can fix this bug.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 18
RE: The game is too expensive! - 12/14/2012 12:21:18 AM   
Apheirox

I must concur with OP: The game is extremely expensive and I think it is possible Matrix is losing sales over it. I know for a fact that anything that gets on Steam and is 'featured' gets an enormous amount of attention - but all of the many games there are all considerably less pricey than this.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> The game is too expensive! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI