Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Adaptability

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Adaptability Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adaptability - 3/6/2013 10:58:37 PM   
KAHUNA

I'm not a modder but I do enjoy good sci-fi books and recently finished several older books by David Weber/Steven White[The Shiva Option & Crusade] and was struck by how much the game mechanics in DW could be adapted to storyline battles like in those books except for not having added in warppoints instead of direct line flights.Has anyone else ever thought about making a map based on warp points or adapting DW to something like this? Just spitballing here so please feel free to comment or add your own views.The defensive forts,carriers and ability to make the different ship classes are already in the game so being able to make the map with warppoints might be one of the mod headaches. Anyone else see this possibility?
Weber is also the author of the Honor Harrington series set years later in the same universe if any of you have read those.

< Message edited by KAHUNA -- 3/6/2013 11:28:04 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 4:38:30 AM   
tjhkkr

It might help some of us, or at least me, to know what warp points are...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 2
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 11:37:47 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

I'm not a modder but I do enjoy good sci-fi books and recently finished several older books by David Weber/Steven White[The Shiva Option & Crusade] and was struck by how much the game mechanics in DW could be adapted to storyline battles like in those books except for not having added in warppoints instead of direct line flights.Has anyone else ever thought about making a map based on warp points or adapting DW to something like this? Just spitballing here so please feel free to comment or add your own views.The defensive forts,carriers and ability to make the different ship classes are already in the game so being able to make the map with warppoints might be one of the mod headaches. Anyone else see this possibility?
Weber is also the author of the Honor Harrington series set years later in the same universe if any of you have read those.

Space empires IV has warp points, Distant Worlds has warp drives

You could use the in game editor to change things around as you see fit, I have no idea how it works though, you would have to have a look through the posts on Modding or do a search.

Darkspire

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 3
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 12:00:16 PM   
KAHUNA

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but just in case you are then warp points are the only places that allow travel from one system to another in a faster than light way.Other term used might be wormholes.They would be natuarally occurring[no Stargates] and sometimes systems could have multiples of them leading to different systems.The ones I speak of are "found" and then marked and are not evident til they are found.Survey flotilllas would be utilized for finding them. Darkspire is spot on about them in SE4.
I'm not a modder so I doubt I'l be trying to mod this but wondered if it could even be possible to do with this game.There's no threads about doing this specifically so I started this one.
If any have read the books I mentioned they'd know what I'm talking about
I realise that a system to system jump[warpoints] would negate some of the fun here so how about cluster to cluster warp points?Multiple's of them from cluster to cluster?If you own one then others have to pay acess in or out and also it would become a hold or chokepoint in wars.Once thru the warppoint then you could use the hyperdrives in "that" cluster"Defensive forts could be made to help defend these points and battles would be epic with enemies trying to force themselves into a cluster and then raiding the systems there-in.

< Message edited by KAHUNA -- 3/7/2013 12:48:58 PM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 4
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 12:48:56 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but just in case you are then warp points are the only places that allow travel from one system to another in a faster than light way.Other term used might be wormholes.They would be natuarally occurring[no Stargates] and sometimes systems could have multiples of them leading to different systems.The ones I speak of are "found" and then marked and are not evident til they are found.Survey flotilllas would be utilized for finding them. Darkspire is spot on about them in SE4.
I'm not a modder so I doubt I'l be trying to mod this but wondered if it could even be possible to do with this game.There's no threads about doing this specifically so I started this one.
If any have read the books I mentioned they'd know what I'm talking about
I realise that a system to system jump[warpoints] would negate some of the fun here so how about cluster to cluster warp points?Multiple's of them from cluster to cluster?If you own one then others have to pay acess in or out and also it would become a hold or chokepoint in wars.Once thru the warppoint then you could use the hyperdrives in "that" cluster"Defensive forts could be made to help defend these points and battles would be epic with enemies trying to force themselves into a cluster and then rading the systems there-in.

Now your sounding like your on about Sins Of A Solar Empire

Modding in Distant Worlds is fairly basic, tricky but basic and there are some areas in the modding that may or may not have some bugs in that still need to be addressed, some areas are as I said tricky and so very few approach those areas and when you post about them you don't get much feedback as the developers are to busy, as its one or two people posting about them and no one else there easy to dismiss. You can mod ship images for the different classes, change character portraits and modify the makeup for the races with biases, policy and race files, dialog etc, basically the most of the surface stuff, hence there called themes and not mods. The internal workings of the game are hardcoded so things like warp points could not be put in in its current state.

Darkspire

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 5
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 1:03:50 PM   
KAHUNA

I've not played Sins because I've heard it was buggy and "unfinished" so I can't comment on that.I've played all the old school ones tho like MOO[1,2,3]Imperium Galactica[1&2],Pax Imperia,Space Empires IV,Stars.etc.. but I was a player[never a modder].I enjoy playing DW as it is but thought it might be possible to adapt it to my original post but if it's hard coded then I'l relent on this idea.Thanks for the replies!

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 7:29:44 PM   
RavenX

Warp Points = Worm Holes = Star Lanes

I know the term "Star Lanes" has been used in a lot of games and literature.

Maybe it's my personal preference but I never liked space 4x games where I was restricted in my destinations by having to follow certain paths from one star to another. The only game space 4x/strategy game I've played that used them that I actually thought was decent was Sins. Usually though I want the freedom of travel and mechanics from the classic games like MoO 1&2 and Gal Civ.

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 7
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 8:45:11 PM   
KAHUNA

I can certainly understand your point of view about the freedom of travel in those games but my question was about whether it was possible for warp points to be modded into this game somehow.I didn't want this to turn into a discussion of preferences but to one of possibilities.From what I've heard so far it isn't possible but if someoene else has a way to do this I'd be happy to listen.

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 8
RE: Adaptability - 3/7/2013 11:27:38 PM   
Dracus

quote:

Has anyone else ever thought about making a map based on warp points or adapting DW to something like this? Just spitballing here so please feel free to comment or add your own views.The defensive forts,carriers and ability to make the different ship classes are already in the game so being able to make the map with warppoints might be one of the mod headaches. Anyone else see this possibility?

If you ever read the lost fleet series, warp points are areas in a star system were the gravity well is weaker due to the effects of another star's gravity well. This allows a ship to jump into sub space between the two stars. This method of travel was from a star to nieghoring star kind of like skipping stones. The basis was that ships could not produce enough power to jump into sub space anywhere else in the system. All warp points existed on the event horizon of the star gravity well just about were the solar winds smash against the plane of the innerstellar space between stars. About the point where voyager 1 is currently located in our star system.

The warp points in SEV was based on worm holes existing in every star system or being opened by ships them selves. SO I guess it depends on which idea of warp points you like better. But in either method of warp points, ship can not be engaged while traveling. DW uses a star trek style warp method where ships can jump into warp from any where and can even be ingaged while in warp.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 3/7/2013 11:34:14 PM >

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 9
RE: Adaptability - 3/8/2013 1:11:02 AM   
KAHUNA

I haven't read any of the Lost Fleets.Who is the author so I can look it up and maybe indulge in a bit of reading if it's good. There are many varieties of warp points/wormholes.Some are their locations are explained as being far away from gravity wells and thats fine by me.I don't think in my idea it would be neccessary to put them in every system but to utilize them so that sector to sector travels can happen and that multiples of them can be in every sector.The map would be with clumped systems and large almost empty spaces between those clumps.This way you can still use the hyperdrives while in system and thruout that particular clump in that sector.That way we keep everything in the game as is except add in the wormholes as a quicker way to maybe surprise your enemies if they haven't already fortified their side of the hole.If it's fortified then it becomes a battle on both sides to gain access and also to defend the hole.Pretty much like in the books I was talking of in my original post. Thanks for the reply!

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 10
RE: Adaptability - 3/9/2013 1:16:58 AM   
Dracus

Kanuna

Lost fleet is by jack Cambell (John G. Hemry)

We Read Science Fiction reviewed the series and gave it a good review, giving positive comments on the narrative and the detailed battle scenes. The only complaint directed at the series in the review was Hemry's tendency to repeat details from earlier books in later books. Hemry himself replied to the review thanking them for their comments and explaining that he repeats information for the readers who picked up later books but have not had the chance to read from the beginning of the series with Dauntless.

all these books are in the same story. The lost fleet is the first set, Beyond the frontier takes place a year later and the the lost stars is from the enemy point of view after they start to fall apart due to actions of the main character from the lost fleet.

The Lost Fleet
The Lost Fleet: Dauntless (2006)
The Lost Fleet: Fearless (2007)
The Lost Fleet: Courageous (2007)
The Lost Fleet: Valiant (2008)
The Lost Fleet: Relentless (2009)
The Lost Fleet: Victorious (2010)
Beyond the Frontier
Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught (2011)
Beyond the Frontier: Invincible (2012)
Beyond the Frontier: Guardian (2013)
The Lost Stars
The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight (2012)
The Lost Stars: Perilous Shield (2013)

It is miltary sci fi

I emailed him once to ask something about his story and he replied within a week.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 3/9/2013 1:27:36 AM >

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 11
RE: Adaptability - 3/9/2013 1:58:18 AM   
KAHUNA

Thank you Dracus!I've been collecting sci fi books since I was a wee lad and always enjoyed them.I will have to look these up now since you've definetely intruiged me.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Adaptability Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI