Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Images Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Ship Images Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Images Guide - 3/16/2013 1:07:13 PM   
Tyrador

Ship Images Guide

Have seen some of modders struggling with ingame ship image sizes. I have decided to show hot to actually make ship images ingame smaller, which is really really simple.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tyrador -- 3/16/2013 1:11:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Images Guide - 3/16/2013 3:20:46 PM   
drillerman

Hi Tyrador,
Sorry I being a bit dense, Can you elaborate?
What are the dots on each corner for? Do they increase the size of the image thus making the ship smaller?

Huh?

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Images Guide - 3/16/2013 4:14:28 PM   
Igard

Drillerman, that's correct. Since the ship is relatively long and thin, placing dots at each corner of the image canvas will trick the game into thinking the ship is square. Since there are lots of transparent pixels between these dots and the ship, the ship will appear smaller in-game.

However, if you try this with the Death Star, the effect will be less noticeable, since the shape of it already fills most of the image. This is case is even more extreme with a Borg Cube, which fills almost all the image canvas.

What you will also find is that the triangle around the ship will increase in size, since the game thinks those transparent pixels around it are part of the ship, but we can't see those parts.

There are 2 key rules to account for when considering how large a ship will render.

1. The game renders ships on-screen based on the transparent to opaque pixel ratio. This results in long-slender designs being rendered larger, and square-chubby designs looks smaller, unless the ship has a large hole in the middle, thus making it have more transparent pixels. This is by design so as to represent the correct size of ship for it's surface area.

2. The game will always ignore all the transparent pixels around the edge of your image box. It will cut to the point where the first opaque pixels are found. So making an image 500x500 and placing a 250x250 ship inside it, will result in the game cutting the redundant transparent pixels. That's where Tyrador's example of adding pixels to each corner comes in useful for reducing the ships render size.

I haven't found any way to increase a ship's size without changing the shape of the ship. A Borg Cube must remain a square for example, but I can tilt it on it's side slightly to give it some more transparent pixels, thus increasing it marginally.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Ship Images Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI