Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Friendly Subs + Friendly Minefield = Happy Hunting.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Friendly Subs + Friendly Minefield = Happy Hunting. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Friendly Subs + Friendly Minefield = Happy Hunting. - 1/13/2003 10:21:18 PM   
Feinder

1. Plant minefield in strategic spot. And not some wimpy minefield with 3 - 4 mines. Plunk down a real minefield with 30+ mines by Argonaught that will compell your opponent to clean it up.
2. Send a sub or two into your new playground. Wait for the for the fun to begin.
3. Enemy TF "finds" minefield. Subs shoot at cripple(s). What fun!
4. Opponent sends MSWs to sweep minefield. Kill the minesweepers!
5. Always know when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em!

Weeeee!
-F-
Post #: 1
- 1/13/2003 11:32:34 PM   
Yamamoto

It’s not really a friendly minefield unless it is at one of your bases. Make sure your subs are already in the hex when you lay the minefield. That way they don’t risk hitting the mines when they enter the hex. This is the only way I’m able to kill minesweepers now that version 2.1 made them immune to mines.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
- 1/14/2003 1:38:47 AM   
Feinder

Oops, I hate the semantics sometimes. Is there ever such a thing as a "friendly" minefield anyways? (*grin*).

Dunno if my subs started there or not. I plunked a 30+ minefield in the hex NW of Rabaul. I do usually have subs there anyways, but I can't remember if I started with subs there or not.

I caught one of Knavey's TK TFs on it's way to Rabaul. Mines damaged a tanker, and then my sub killed it. He then sailed out a couple of MSWs, and my little S-boat killed 2 of those little buggers also.

Granted, those little MSWs are little more than fishing trawlers at 2 vps each (kind of a waste of torpedos), but it's quite gratifying to see my skipper coming home with a broomstick on his conning tower.

:^)
-F-

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3
- 1/15/2003 12:16:02 AM   
Yamamoto

Minesweepers are one of the most important targets in this game. After CVs and CVLs I consider killing the enemy's minesweepers my top priority. Once he can't clear your mines, you've basically killed his chances of doing offensive missions. True, DDs can now sweep a few mines in version 2.20 but it won't be enough if he looses his minesweepers.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
- 1/26/2003 8:42:11 PM   
HannoMeier

It it very unfortunate, when you play a long campaign game and loose most of your MSW during clearing mines duty, before 2.20 was introduced. In UV and especially WITP a automatic MSW reinforcement routine should be introduced.

A country like Japan should be able to build some small MSW ships, when they are needed.

Yamamoto, I totally agree with you, that the MSW are (too) important in UV

Hanno

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Friendly Subs + Friendly Minefield = Happy Hunting. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI