Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Aircraft options

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Aircraft options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 5:39:50 PM   
Jim Stevens

I have this lovely group of F4F-3 Wildcats sitting in the States training their little hearts out because there isn't anything better to doing being they are a [R] restricted group {or an R-rated group :-) }. The fleet is just dying for those F4F's. Should I withdraw or disband (the distinction is not clear to me) the group in the hopes the planes will then be available for my carriers or is that generally a bad move taking that group offline? What do you think gents?
Post #: 1
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 5:45:43 PM   
Lokasenna

Are you able to "upgrade" them to a different airframe? With PDU on, you should be able to pick any airframe available (such as Buffalos), assuming you have enough in the pools to swap the unit out.

When you click on disband or withdraw, it will bring up another dialogue box for confirmation. In that box, it will tell you whether planes/pilots will be lost (i.e., sent to Europe or scrapped) or sent to the pools. If it doesn't say "will be sent to the pools", don't do it or you'll lose them forever.

I would try the "upgrade" method first.

(in reply to Jim Stevens)
Post #: 2
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 5:54:28 PM   
HexHead

The previous post is valid, BUT...

before you do anything else, check out the text field for the Restriction type - if it's 'unclickable', then this Group can never be redeemed or bought out with PP. I regard these as Training Squadrons, pure & simple. I don't upgrade them, I just stuff them with rookies and let 'em train.

Then, in the Pilot Data tab, you can see buttons for "Release X Pilots" - especially those with the most Experience. Release these guys and you can have some 'trained' pilots for your front-line Groups.

At least that's what I see and suppose - seems logical & reasonable.

In short, if the Restricted HQ field is clickable, you can change it, eventually, and manage them how you want. If it's unclickable, though, why improve their sleds? All they need to do is fly, they don't need the Latest.

ADDENDUM

We've had some discussion lately of Withdraw/Disband. I think the UI is pretty good on this and straightforward with the messages displayed. There is one thing you can do, to save Pilots when Disbanding an Air Group: go to the Pilot tab and Release as many Pilots as you can to Reserve (not Group Reserve). Then trash the planes.

< Message edited by HexHead -- 6/11/2013 6:20:29 PM >

"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 6:14:03 PM   
blueatoll

So when I'm forced to withdraw/disband an air group, I don't need to have any pilots assigned to it, just the planes? That would be very helpful in CBI theater.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 4
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 6:18:37 PM   
HexHead

You don't have to Release Pilots for a Withdrawal - the men & machines go to the pools. Now, if you're withdrawing a 1932 Clunker Ace squad, and there aren't any more Groups with this model, then they'll just sit in the pool, rusting away, unloved & forgotten (I would imagine).

With Disbanding, what I'm doing is trying to save the Pilots as much as possible. Usually the Group Commander has to go, though. Can't have everything (or everybody, in this case).

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 5
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 6:30:18 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: HexHead

You don't have to Release Pilots for a Withdrawal - the men & machines go to the pools. Now, if you're withdrawing a 1932 Clunker Ace squad, and there aren't any more Groups with this model, then they'll just sit in the pool, rusting away, unloved & forgotten (I would imagine).

With Disbanding, what I'm doing is trying to save the Pilots as much as possible. Usually the Group Commander has to go, though. Can't have everything (or everybody, in this case).

If you release all the pilots first, usually (always?) you will be able to go back into the pilots screen and un-check "Retain" so that he's no longer in red. Then if you use the buttons on the bottom (Release 5 pilots, 10 pilots, etc.) he should be released into reserve. This is if your group commander is also a pilot, anyway. Which is not recommended for combat squadrons.

I have never gone into the reserve pools to check if this works, because even after releasing him from the pilots list (which will then be empty, with a 0 on the info screen) the commander still shows up on the air unit info screen in the commander's place. So I don't know if he shows up in the pools also.

Usually I don't care, because I'm still getting 20+ pilots into the pools, partially or fully trained.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 6
RE: Aircraft options - 6/11/2013 6:44:59 PM   
HexHead

Nice tip, thx.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7
RE: Aircraft options - 3/31/2014 8:18:03 AM   
jakla1027

I have several air groups in the US that are suppose to be withdrawn between Feb-July of 1942, some groups I can withdraw without problems. Others however, only give me the option to disband them, the withdrawal button is greyed out. So how do I withdraw these air groups before I start losing PP points for them being overdue?

Thanks

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 8
RE: Aircraft options - 3/31/2014 9:58:27 AM   
jmalter

when 'withdrawal' is greyed-out, your only option is to 'disband', do it the day before the withdrawal date, else you'll lose PP. Make sure you remove the pilots - the game don't care if pilots are present, it just requires you to dissolve the formation. The game don't care about the aircraft, either - downgrade its planes to the cheesiest 3rd-class airframes in your inventory before disbanding the group.

(in reply to jakla1027)
Post #: 9
RE: Aircraft options - 3/31/2014 2:03:24 PM   
crsutton

Never disband a group that you do not have to. Never. The critical shortage for the Allies in 1942 is skilled pilots especially marine and navy fighter jocks. You need all the rear training groups that your can possibly have. If this means not getting your F4Fs to the front lines, well so be it.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Aircraft options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI