Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reinforcement hexes in custom battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reinforcement hexes in custom battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reinforcement hexes in custom battles - 2/8/2001 3:55:00 AM   
Kharan

How on earth do I set them in a map to be used for random battles? I can set them with keys 0-9 in the map editor and save. But as soon as I leave the editor menu, they are reset to their default places. I can set them in the map editor, then set them in the deploy editor with the 1-key for both sides and save the map in map editor. They are still reset once I leave the editor. I can set them in the map editor, then set them in the deploy editor and save it as a scenario. Now they appear in the right places when I start it as a scenario. But when I rename scenario files to map files (scenxxx.* to pzmapxxx.*) and load the map in a custom battle the reinforcement hexes are still reset to the default positions. And often they are left out altogether. Help!

Post #: 1
- 2/10/2001 10:39:00 PM   
Kharan

Anyone? We haven't had any reinforcement hexes in 3 of our last 4 games, whether they've been manually set or not.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 2
- 2/10/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

reinforcements don't come in at reinforcement hexes in random battle to my knowledge. You can "call for reinforcements" but they don't always show up. Though in that may games you both must be very unlucky... Anybody else having reinforcement troubles?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 3
- 2/10/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

reinforcements don't come in at reinforcement hexes in random battle to my knowledge. You can "call for reinforcements" but they don't always show up. Though in that may games you both must be very unlucky... Anybody else having reinforcement troubles?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 4
- 2/10/2001 11:06:00 PM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: reinforcements don't come in at reinforcement hexes in random battle to my knowledge. You can "call for reinforcements" but they don't always show up. Though in that may games you both must be very unlucky...
If the map doesn't have reinforcement hexes, reinforcements won't be able to enter the map. It will always say something like "GE Rifle Squad cannot enter hex xx,xx". When you do have reinforcement hexes, units will enter at their location. I've never seen a reinforcement not arrive when the map has reinf. hexes. On the other hand, off-board units like artillery and airstrikes can be bought and will arrive despite the lack of reinforcement hexes. I have no idea why they are sometimes left out in custom maps for random battles. First I thought the countries had to be same in the map editor and the actual battle, then I thought pzmapXX.rec had to be deleted, but no, it's seemingly random (and very annoying). [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited February 10, 2001).]

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 5
- 2/11/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: If the map doesn't have reinforcement hexes, reinforcements won't be able to enter the map. It will always say something like "GE Rifle Squad cannot enter hex xx,xx". When you do have reinforcement hexes, units will enter at their location. I've never seen a reinforcement not arrive when the map has reinf. hexes. On the other hand, off-board units like artillery and airstrikes can be bought and will arrive despite the lack of reinforcement hexes. I have no idea why they are sometimes left out in custom maps for random battles. First I thought the countries had to be same in the map editor and the actual battle, then I thought pzmapXX.rec had to be deleted, but no, it's seemingly random (and very annoying). [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited February 10, 2001).]
Are these maps being used for prem or online games? If so theN i would assume both players would have to have the same map file, if you get my meaning, just like both must have same oobs. any help? Alby

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 6
- 2/11/2001 7:21:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Are these maps being used for prem or online games? If so theN i would assume both players would have to have the same map file, if you get my meaning, just like both must have same oobs. any help? Alby
Aye, all players need to be given the map before the match.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 7
- 2/11/2001 7:57:00 AM   
Kharan

Forgot to mention, when the reinf. hexes have disappeared (they disappear for both sides or not at all), the retreat hex is also gone. Come to think of it, it's sensible that the retreat hex is automatically placed at the middle of the map's edge so that all routing units units retreat toward it. I think it's all hardcoded so that the reinforcement hexes are placed downwards from the retreat hex, and are therefore not editable. What I'd like to know, what are the circumstances which cause them to disappear so I can avoid it.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 8
- 2/11/2001 1:48:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Since when do we (pbem) both need the same map to have reinforcement hexes? The random map generator works on one machine and the info is carried along with other data for the next player to take their turn. Yes reinforcement and retreat hexes are a major pain in the ass to make stick using the map editor. ------------------ PR http://electricwar.tripod.com/

PR

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 9
- 2/11/2001 8:18:00 PM   
Kharan

All players don't need to have the map if it's random generated (that would be hard to do anyway ), but they do when you use a modified map... at least in online games?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 10
- 2/13/2001 5:57:00 AM   
skukko

As I have again had my deep throat conversations with SPWAW 4.5 scen/map-editor, I'll guess I can enlighteng things to my friends. (smiley here with tong out.) When you use scen editor to make a map and save it with everything in place, say to slot 155. Then you start new or load some other map and voila: you got reinforcement hexes messed. This is not joke: After saving map in slot 155, close spwaw and start it again to clear some odd things from its memory or whatever. Here is one nice thing that happens for your advantage: Open scen-editor and load one historical scenario from the year that you are willing to play.(East43 for example)After that don't touch anything, instead of looking map or deploying, load your own map from slot 155. Now go to deploy: You have forces from historical battle ready to deploy to your map. Don't deploy yet, save scenario to slot 156 or what is free, don't write over some old one. Get out of editor and start pbem-game by loading scenario from slot 156. BTW: It ain't so easy to play this kinda game, as there is allways many changes that have never heard of balancing battles. hint of the day: How to clear the bridge from escaing civilians? Call OB155mm. Yesterdays tip: How to make Sovjet tanks to clear bridge from civilians? Buy german platoon. Edit weapons off them, equip 50kilos bomb in slot 4 and rename them 'Escaping Civilians' that all for now mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 11
- 2/13/2001 6:00:00 AM   
skukko

Forgot to answer: When you save your map with fixed reinforcement flags and vhexes, keep in mind that Not loose *.rec file from the package. mosh tomorrow I'll tell how to add destroyed traion to your pbem.

salute

mosh

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 12
- 2/13/2001 6:08:00 AM   
Kharan

Some progress... If I start a solitaire game with any custom map and default settings, reinforcement hexes are always placed. If I start a hotseat game with any custom map and default settings, reinforcement hexes are always left out. But, when I quit the match and start the hotseat game again, reinforcement hexes are always placed. So, with multiplayer games, reinforcement hexes are always left out on your first try on that map of that particular SPWAW session. Here's a save with which you can test that no reinforcements will enter the map if there is no reinf. hexes.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 13
- 2/13/2001 6:15:00 AM   
Kharan

Skukko, I'm pretty convinced that there is no way you can save reinforcement hexes to a map. But I'd like to be proven wrong, so can you make a map with custom reinf. hexes (for example in the map corners) and email it to me or post a link?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 14
- 2/13/2001 6:21:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

When you use scen editor to make a map and save it with everything in place, say to slot 155. Then you start new or load some other map and voila: you got reinforcement hexes messed. This is not joke: After saving map in slot 155, close spwaw and start it again to clear some odd things from its memory or whatever.
This is true. When you set reinforcement hexes in the map editor, they are displayed where you set them for every map you load afterwards. You don't even have to save (in fact, saving does nothing regarding reinf. hexes). They are erased from memory when you go out of the editor to the main menu.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 15
- 2/13/2001 7:24:00 AM   
Major Destruction

Not in my experience. I have used the same map for a variety of generated pbem battles involving different armies. In every case, the R-hexes stay where I place them, also the Objective Flags and retreat hex. Select Custom Map: As designed. Never failed me yet. I am using Ver4.5 full install (no upgrades)

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 16
- 2/14/2001 1:34:00 AM   
Kharan

Major Destruction, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Could you mail be that map with the fixed r-hexes?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 17
- 2/15/2001 9:26:00 PM   
Kharan

To recap, there seems to be two problems regarding r-hexes. 1. They are left out four times out of five in a multiplayer game with a custom map. On your second try with the same map, they are nearly always placed. If they are left out, your reinforcements won't be able to enter the map. 2. They can't be saved in a map (at least I can't figure out how and I think I've tried everything). When you set them in the map editor, they are saved only in memory, are displayed there for every map you load in the editor, and disappear from memory once you leave the editor for the main menu. This means that in game, they are always placed at the map center, if they indeed are placed at all. Whether those two problems are connected and how, I'll let someone smarter than me to figure out. ps. Still haven't gotten the map from anyone.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 18
- 2/16/2001 2:12:00 AM   
skukko

Hi Kharan, Do you save custom map after you have assigned flags to your positions ? I don't get this at all now, I have done and created some maps, started from 'random' map at the editor, installed flags and saved map with them. Loaded map at battle generator and there they are...but I allways save my maps with 'save scenario' also, does that help any? I'll get back to editor tobight and I'll check this again. Don't become desperate mosh

salute

mosh

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 19
- 2/16/2001 4:31:00 AM   
Kharan

Ok, maybe there's something obvious I'm overlooking here. This is what I do step by step: 1. Start SPWAW and click solitaire and editor. 2. Click random and edit. 3. Place blue retreat hex and reinf. hexes downwards from the upper left map corner with keys 0,2,3,4 and 5. Place red retreat hex and reinf. hexes downwards from the upper right map corner with keys 1,6,7,8 and 9. 4. Save the map, quit the map editor and exit to the main menu. 5. Click Battle (this is solitaire still), Custom map: as designed and continue. 6. Select the map, quit the purchase phase and go to deploy units. 7. Lo and behold, all the reinf. hexes are reset to the middle of the map. See what happens if you do exactly the same thing. I've tried using also the scenario editor, but that doesn't seem to change things.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 20
- 2/16/2001 4:50:00 AM   
skukko

I give up on this I did as you discribed, but choosed hotseat and email games, :-Nocando was situation. They were reseted. So this creates one question: When making rough map, how can I be sure that I ain't making boulders to the place where engine puts these flags ? If they appear everytime to the middle, its too obvios against human to get barrages to there. I'll have hands up, but I got knife hidden in my hair so search continues. mosh

salute

mosh

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 21
- 2/16/2001 8:09:00 AM   
Arralen

IIRC there are some scenarios which have reenforment hexes scattered around the map - ask WB how he did that IMHO the hexes' settings are part of the scenario save, not the map .. so you won't have much luck with premade maps in generated battles .. You may call this a bug, or a feature ... Arralen [This message has been edited by Arralen (edited February 15, 2001).]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 22
- 2/16/2001 9:20:00 AM   
Kharan

Yeah, like I said in the first message, R-hexes are easy to save in a scenario, but impossible in a map, it seems. Though I wonder why you can set victory hexes for maps but not reinforcement hexes... But at least now I know how to reduce the mysterious disappearences of R-hexes: Before you start a hotseat/PBEM/online game with a custom map, start&quit a hotseat game with the map in question. This way you'll get R-hexes in the real game afterwards. By the way, there was a similar thing with victory hexes... If you set even one of them on a water hex (pier, bridge etc), all of them are reset to the default 5X4 formation. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited February 15, 2001).]

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reinforcement hexes in custom battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI