Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scary News from Boston.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Scary News from Boston. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 8:33:30 PM   
Orm

I just heard that there been multiple explosions in Boston. Close to the Boston Marathon.

I pray that that no one has been killed but I fear otherwise. I also pray for those who have been wounded.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Post #: 1
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 9:19:32 PM   
PunkReaper

Why, why why..... Just people running for f@Łks sake....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 9:21:32 PM   
JamesM

Lets hope the casualty numbers are very low.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 3
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 9:36:54 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Soft target, plenty of people.

We have no idea who did this, but if it's a terrorist attack, it makes perfect sense as a target.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 9:42:45 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Soft target, plenty of people.

We have no idea who did this, but if it's a terrorist attack, it makes perfect sense as a target.

Indeed. A sad world we live in.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/15/2013 11:59:53 PM   
GJK

IF not from an "organized" terrorist organization, then likely another one that fits the typical profile: an intelligent loaner type that was bullied or ridiculed growing up with some psychotropic or antidepressant prescriptions in their background and who seeked notoriety knowing that the coverage will saturate all news outlets plus social media websites. Just like it started with the over-saturation of news reporting from Vietnam and how our morale suffered back home for it, I wish that the coverage of these things was somehow suppressed; but they never will be nor can they be nowadays. Prayers out to the victims and their families.

< Message edited by GJK -- 4/16/2013 12:00:41 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 12:10:26 AM   
Terminus

It's far too early to speculate, but from the reports I've seen, it could have been worse. No high-yield detonations, plenty of flash, smoke and concussion, but little shrapnel effect. Smells homemade to me.

Two dead are three too many, obviously, but it could have been 100 times as many, with that many people around.

Also, why did they wait so long to detonate? From what I've heard, the winner had crossed the finish line four hours before the blasts.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 7
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 12:13:44 AM   
Alfred

The bulk of the field would have been in the zone. For amateurs, an excellent marathon time is 3 hours and a good result is 3.5 hours.

Alfred

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 12:15:58 AM   
Terminus

Point. The place was certainly packed, which makes it all the more remarkable that the casualties were relatively limited. These were not backpacks of C4 and ball bearings.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 12:41:58 AM   
Alfred

It has also been suggested that the presence of the first aid stations whose purpose is to aid the exhausted runners during and at the end of the race, has contributed to keeping the death toll low, so far.

Alfred

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 2:13:32 AM   
Gilmer

This was pretty scary for me earlier. I have 2 cousins that live in Boston and one texted me at 11:40 a text that made me think he was going over to watch. He made a Seinfeld reference from when Jean-Claude stayed with Seinfeld. Anyway, as soon as I heard the news I thought he was there, so I texted him. He was fine. He went to the Bosox game and THEN went over to the Marathon but he said he did not hear or see anything. I guess he left before it all went down.

His older brother has run in about 10 Boston Marathons, but he did not run today. He actually stopped running Marathons regularly about 4 years ago due to the health of his legs/feet. But, I thought he still ran the Boston every other year or so. Good news, he was not running but was actually in the office on State Street in Boston.

So, both were in the vicinity, but both were OK. I am truly sad for the victims, though. I saw some horrific pictures.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 2:20:41 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I am truly sad for the victims, though. I saw some horrific pictures.

Very true. This looks like package bombs: packages, bags or backpacks dropped off in the spectator area. Because the blasts were low to the ground, there would be relatively fewer injuries to the upper chest and head, thus fewer fatalities. The dark side is many injuries to the lower limbs, including feet or even whole legs being blown off.

Kudos to the first aid responders, especially since it's not unknown for terrorists to set "follow-up" bombs to kill police and medics.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 4:17:24 AM   
histgamer

quote:

Also, why did they wait so long to detonate? From what I've heard, the winner had crossed the finish line four hours before the blasts.

I've seen speculation if it was an attack on American's or political that they'd wait because if they detonated when the winners came through they would have killed more foreigners than Americans.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 4/16/2013 4:18:30 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 4:31:05 AM   
btd64

You never thing something like this can happen so close to home. One of my daughters is west of Boston at U Mass Amhurst. Im glad she was that far away. My other daughter, my wife and I were 30 miles away. I was thinking of going in to watch it like i did years ago. Im glad i didnt. My thoughts and best wishes go out to all who were affected by this horiffic cowardly act.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 14
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 11:12:57 AM   
silkroadgame

This is really cruel!People who run this Marathon for charity lose his legs in this accident!What's wrong with our world?!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 15
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 1:29:22 PM   
Josh

A cruel and horrific act indeed. Sport is one of the things that can unite folks all over the world. Give people a football and forgotten are the petty squabbles, the differences. Give them a fishing rod and they go fishing instead of fighting.
Have you seen the flags waving where the bombs went off, all kinds of flags from *all over the world*, that's what sports does for people, and that's where the terrorist(-s) wanted to strike. Sickening really.
The president says he wants justice, I don't want justice, I want revenge, I want them to burn in hell whoever did this.

My thoughts and prayers go to the wounded, and the dead... one of them an 8 year old boy...

(in reply to silkroadgame)
Post #: 16
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/16/2013 7:40:59 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

I am truly sad for the victims, though. I saw some horrific pictures.

Very true. This looks like package bombs: packages, bags or backpacks dropped off in the spectator area ...

Latest reports were ball bearings and nails bundled with pressure cookers filled with explosive, all hidden in backpacks/duffle bags.

The "packages" were probably dropped off along the route after a final bomb sweep of the Finish Line.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 4/16/2013 7:41:55 PM >

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 17
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/17/2013 1:15:47 AM   
tide1530

they came out with pictures of the bag on the news this evening.

< Message edited by tide1530 -- 4/17/2013 1:16:11 AM >

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 18
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/17/2013 12:52:43 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tide1530

they came out with pictures of the bag on the news this evening.

According to the NYT's "Bomb Details Emerge in Boston Inquiry," the Boston bombs were similar to IED's used in Afghanistan as well as the explosives that Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad tried to detonate.

Shahzad once lived in Bpt, CT, right next to my town of Stratford, and Sikorski Aircraft was on Shahzad's list of secondary targets.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to tide1530)
Post #: 19
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/18/2013 7:21:54 PM   
Jeffrey H.

There was a guest on Hannity last night who claims that he has sources who tell him the whole "Saudi national" thing is real and that Obama had unscheduled meetings with Saudi representatives last night before flying to Boston. The guest went on to claim that the individual will be deported based on internal security concerns without trial or review.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 20
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/18/2013 7:36:54 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

There was a guest on Hannity last night who claims that he has sources who tell him the whole "Saudi national" thing is real and that Obama had unscheduled meetings with Saudi representatives last night before flying to Boston. The guest went on to claim that the individual will be deported based on internal security concerns without trial or review.

i'm shocked - Fox bashing Obama, well theres a suprise

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/18/2013 7:39:14 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

what a shocker - Fox bashing Obama

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 22
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/18/2013 8:46:14 PM   
jday305

Regardless of anyones personal politics we all should hope that the political leaders of the U.S. and any country that is victimized by terrorist pursure these cowards and take appropriate action to stop future occurances.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 23
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/18/2013 10:30:55 PM   
MrRoadrunner

I heard, not on Fox, that the Saudi national will be detained and not deported.
Rushing out the Saudi would have been similar to when the Bin Laden family members along with other Saudis were rushed out of the country after 911. Not that much difference between the two administrations, if you ask me.

BTW, we should be more concerned about the silence of the rest of the media, than get in an uproar over the one that did report it? And, Hannity is not a news reporter he is a conservative political commentator.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 24
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 12:50:54 AM   
Terminus

Thread shutting down in 5... 4... 3...

I'd say the pictures of the suspects don't look very Middle Eastern to me...

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 25
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 1:09:59 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

I'd say the pictures of the suspects don't look very Middle Eastern to me...

Good thing you don't work for the FBI. They look very Middle Eastern to me, shaving off their beards isn't a very good disguise but I guess some can be fooled by it...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/t_xlarge_l/v1366289752/xboston-bombing-suspects.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zVFFpHdt8k.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/04/boston-bombing-suspects-photos-of-two-men-near-finish-line-circu/&h=411&w=520&sz=35&tbnid=UAYPayiN3e2rDM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=111&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dboston%2Bbombing%2Bsuspect%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=boston+bombing+suspect+pictures&usg=__cn-90JjZGEGiV01WDUl0QY-rZ5A=&docid=QmF-T4ptUC7nbM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qYpwUfb1MKWriAKk_oGgDA&ved=0CFIQ9QEwCA&dur=116

Jim

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 1:39:13 AM   
Terminus

If it's okay with you, I'll just go with the actual pictures from the FBI wanted posters, mkay?

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 27
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 1:42:22 AM   
TonyAAA

^ Those aren't the suspects.

The kid in blue already went to the police + cleared his name after a bunch of Alex Jones type conspiracy nutjobs started claiming he and the guy next to him were the real bombers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/teen-boston-marathon-bomber/story?id=18990057#.UXAxJ6K7KHc

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 28
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 2:15:06 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

^ Those aren't the suspects.

The kid in blue already went to the police + cleared his name after a bunch of Alex Jones type conspiracy nutjobs started claiming he and the guy next to him were the real bombers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/teen-boston-marathon-bomber/story?id=18990057#.UXAxJ6K7KHc

My bad came up at the top of the list on a google search so figured it was the image.

Jim

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 29
RE: Scary News from Boston. - 4/19/2013 3:09:44 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Looks like Blackwater mercs to me-

Attachment (3)

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Scary News from Boston. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI