Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Deal of the Week, part two!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> The Deal of the Week, part two! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 3:44:07 PM   
Philkian

Here comes the second deal of the week for all those who want to satisfy their hunger for wargaming.

From 6th to 12th of May, Steel Panthers - Generals Edition will be sold at $29.99/$39.99 (Digital/Boxed version) and Uncommon Valor will be sold at $19,99/$29,99 (Digital/Boxed version), which is a discount of up to 57 %!

Visit the Matrix Games Store, choose your favorite of the two games (or better both of them!), add them to the cart and enjoy a wargaming party!

Take advantage of this Deal and come back next week: new Deals will be knocking on your door.
Post #: 1
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 4:14:08 PM   
Ranger33

I've been very tempted by the Steel Panthers Generals Edition before...yep I think I will pull the trigger on this one!

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 2
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 4:51:33 PM   
Max 86

Is SP:GE compatible with Windows 7?

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 3
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 5:44:05 PM   
parusski

That is a heck of a deal. I think I paid about $80 or so for SPWAW General's Edition.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 4
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 5:55:56 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

No, no matter what I do, I can't get it to run. Customers beware!

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 5
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 5:59:38 PM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

I don't have the game but i saw that there's a windows 7 fix in the forum of the game...

Cheers

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 6
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 6:04:39 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

I don't have the game but i saw that there's a windows 7 fix in the forum of the game...

Cheers

It don't work for me, but I'm a computer illiterate.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 7
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 6:04:45 PM   
Dragoon.

quote:

Well, sort off. You may be required to run the game on only one cpu core if you have a multi-core cpy and use a little tool to fix some color palette issues.
More details can be found in this thread Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix

You may try the Free Version first found here.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1713246

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 8
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 6:17:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

The above thread is the one to read. SPWAW is not officially listed as Windows 7 or 8 compatible, as it doesn't "just work" out of the box, but can be made to work if you use the above work-arounds.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 9
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 6:51:01 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

The fix works for me. Going to do a little more research on the game before buying it. Any opinions on this game would help a lot please. Thanks :)

For example, am I just paying for the Mega Campaigns? What are "Mega Campaigns"? Are there any other fixes like screen resolution? Etc Etc

< Message edited by heyhellowhatsnew -- 5/6/2013 6:53:15 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 7:59:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

The Mega Campaigns are one of a kind (well, several, but there's nothing else like them that I've seen) and only available for SPWAW. Massive campaigns that each follow a historical campaign with plenty of historical references, player choices before each battle, branching options, etc. Back when I was playing SPWAW regularly, these were the pinnacle of SP gameplay IMHO.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 11
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 8:28:50 PM   
Max 86

Thanks for the answers. I guess I will pass on this sale. Don't want to spend $30 on a 'maybe it will work if you do some tricks' type of game. Hopefully Matrix will put games on sale that work with current operating systems instead of these old XP compatible games.

No problem Chief!

Post #: 12
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 8:36:41 PM   
Ranger33

Just bought and tried on Win 7 with the fix in the link, works just fine. Takes maybe 2 minutes to do.

quote:

Thanks for the answers. I guess I will pass on this sale. Don't want to spend $30 on a 'maybe it will work if you do some tricks' type of game. Hopefully Matrix will put games on sale that work with current operating systems instead of these old XP compatible games.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 13
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 9:17:41 PM   
histgamer

Can someone tell me, is UV worth it? I have WiTP and WiTP AE and those cover the area and have scenario's that cover the time as well. However, I know UV uses a 30 mile hex? So the scale is a bit different. Other than that is it worth the investment or will I get the exact same experience from a mini WiTP AE campaign?

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 5/6/2013 9:18:18 PM >

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 14
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 10:21:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Max 86,

quote:

We already did put other games on sale and there are more deals of the week on the way. The entire idea behind this though was to test some sales on our back catalog. These are great games and in fact this one does work with Windows 7 but we can't advertise it as such because it does not work perfectly out of the box. The work-around exists (instead of an official update) only because it is no longer in active development and was originally released in 2000, though updated for many years thereafter.

In any case, I understand your decision, but it's not "maybe" it will work, it will work but just not out of the box. The work-around works fine.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 15
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 10:23:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

The scale is quite different and IMHO gives a different experience as a result. It makes scenarios like Guadalcanal and the battles for New Guinea a bit more interesting than at the larger scale which is more focused on the war as a whole. I think it's a good "mini-WITP". The only thing is the interface is older, but if you don't mind the original WITP interface you should be fine with UV.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 16
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 10:30:21 PM   
samspackman

If AUD > USD (and has been for a couple of years now), why is SPWAW $29.99 USD and $31.99 AUD?

Post #: 17
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/6/2013 10:44:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's basically 1:1 if you're a bank but we are charged a higher rate for the currency conversion which we have to pass along in order to keep the actual revenue per copy the same. That means that the price ends up slightly higher than 1:1. This is the same for every price in a currency other than USD as our store finances are based on USD and has to convert for any other currency.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to samspackman)
Post #: 18
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 1:41:46 AM   
baloo7777

Does UV work with WIN 8 or have a work around? I have SP (free version) downloaded and it works fine on my WIN XP desktop. I would like to get the sale SPWAW-GE and download it to my new laptop with WIN 8. Will the WIN 7 workaround work with WIN 8?

JRR

Post #: 19
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 1:47:17 AM   
Erik Rutins

As far as I know, UV works fine on Windows 8. I can double check that tomorrow. Yes, the Windows 7 work-around should work fine with Windows 8. I can also double-check that.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 20
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 1:57:59 AM   
baloo7777

Thanks for checking. I'll check the forum tomorrow night. If all is good, than I will be signing up for one or both (see, having your kids grow up and leave the house CAN be a good thing...more time and $ for gaming)!!! BTW, I think this Deal of the week was a great idea and hope it continues for some time to come.

JRR

Post #: 21
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 2:33:10 AM   
junk2drive

I have Windows 8 on a modest desktop. I installed the Watchtower Mega Campaign and the orginal 7.1 version of SPWAW that came with it. I have no problems with graphics other than some stange pixels in the splash screens but I don't care. With the windows key and prt scn I took a shot of the game. It saves it as a png. Unfortunately it saves it as 800x600 but my desktop is 1440x900. I had to open the shot in Paint.net and resize it to 1440x900 to show you what it looks like. This shot is NOT as clear as the actual game on my screen. To me it is almost as good as the original on a 4:3 ratio CRT, but the text is stretched a bit for my wide screen LED.

Edit I do not use the work arounds with W8

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 5/7/2013 2:40:45 AM >

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 22
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 5:30:22 AM   
Dragoon.

quote:

You should give them a chance. Both these games were for many people here their first contact with Matrix Games or war gaming. Many got hocked up and stayed because of them including me. By all means this week deals are all time classics and Hall of Famers of War Gaming.

Take a look at this thread "What Brought You to Matrix Games" to see how much impact both these games had here on gamers.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 23
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 12:47:02 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The entire idea behind this though was to test some sales on our back catalog.

Then at least try it with something decent! This is totally.. well I won't say as you guys guys allegedly know so much more about the market than anybody else... ahem.

Sorry, but what new customers are going to be tempted by a decade old game that was made obsolete by WitP, or an expanded edition of a game that looks two decades old, needs 'tweaking' to run on modern OSs and that you give away for free anyway?! Sure, there are reasons for grogs to buy both and the Generals Edition in particular might tempt a few buys, but beyond that - a total waste of time that 'tests' nothing.

Try it for a week with Field of Glory. Or the 'Commander' games. Or Decisive Battles. Or particularly anything with an upcoming expansion pack (you know, like everyone else does - thus also increasing sales of the expansion pack.) Games like Endless Space and StarDrive are currently introducing many new players to the space '4X' genre - who are NOT buying Distant Worlds partly because they don't know about it but mostly because it's so expensive in comparison to everything else (including 'Armada' bought anywhere else) and not superior or unique enough to justify it.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/7/2013 12:51:27 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 1:25:41 PM   
Ranger33

I for one was really excited to see SPWAW GE for that price. I know I can get most of the game for free (and I've toyed around with the game before) but the mega campaigns have always sounded really exciting and I can't wait to try them out. I just was never, ever, going to spend $70 for them, but $30 is pretty reasonable for the amount of content. This is exactly the sort of the thing I was hoping for with these sales, older games at prices more suited to older games.

I wouldn't put Endless Space up against Distant Worlds at all, it's not even close to the same experience. StarDrive I have not played so I won't comment, but I will say that among the half-dozen space 4x games I've picked up over the last few years, only DW keeps me coming back for more. I think some kind of bundle deal is certainly in order at this point though. No one in their right mind is going to fork over $100+ to get everything, especially with no demo.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 25
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 2:20:19 PM   
budd

Just a thought but matrix should post the descriptions of the mega campaigns that were there when they were being sold by themselves. I only played the desert fox one( I believe that was name) but it was unique and well done. Just so people understand more about them.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 26
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 2:33:11 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

I wouldn't put Endless Space up against Distant Worlds at all, it's not even close to the same experience.

Agreed, but you have to play them both to know, hence..

quote:

I think some kind of bundle deal is certainly in order at this point though. No one in their right mind is going to fork over $100+ to get everything, especially with no demo.

Exactly. One thing '4X' peeps are used to is more of 'the game' being released in subsequent chunks, and those expansions being necessary for the 'full experience'. New buyers therefore want the lot from the off with an 'old' game (as they get with GalCiv, SotS, Sins, etc) rather than even consider 'base game first then expansions later if I like it'. And they won't pay that for it.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 27
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 2:42:41 PM   
Max 86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Max 86,

quote:

We already did put other games on sale and there are more deals of the week on the way. The entire idea behind this though was to test some sales on our back catalog. These are great games and in fact this one does work with Windows 7 but we can't advertise it as such because it does not work perfectly out of the box. The work-around exists (instead of an official update) only because it is no longer in active development and was originally released in 2000, though updated for many years thereafter.

In any case, I understand your decision, but it's not "maybe" it will work, it will work but just not out of the box. The work-around works fine.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks for your response Erik. Let me apologize if my comments seemed harsh or overly critical. There does seem to be some players that can not get it to work but the evidence suggests they are in the minority. I guess its a PC by PC basis.

I want to thank you for the game sales recently and Matrix will end up getting my money one way or another but probably not with this one. Probably Battle Academy or more Ageod titles, not sure yet.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mike

< Message edited by Max 86 -- 5/7/2013 2:43:08 PM >

No problem Chief!

Post #: 28
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 3:22:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Hertston,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
Then at least try it with something decent! This is totally.. well I won't say as you guys guys allegedly know so much more about the market than anybody else... ahem.

Sorry, but what new customers are going to be tempted by a decade old game that was made obsolete by WitP, or an expanded edition of a game that looks two decades old, needs 'tweaking' to run on modern OSs and that you give away for free anyway?! Sure, there are reasons for grogs to buy both and the Generals Edition in particular might tempt a few buys, but beyond that - a total waste of time that 'tests' nothing.

Give it some time, we're not planning on stopping this week. You know, some of the games we've put on sale the last two weeks are exactly the ones that have been suggested by others in the past as well. I guess this falls in the realm of you can't make everyone happy.

quote:

Games like Endless Space and StarDrive are currently introducing many new players to the space '4X' genre - who are NOT buying Distant Worlds partly because they don't know about it but mostly because it's so expensive in comparison to everything else (including 'Armada' bought anywhere else) and not superior or unique enough to justify it.

As far as the quality of Distant Worlds, I'd have to disagree, but I understand the concerns on pricing. We're actually planning a significant discount bundle for the Distant Worlds series when the new Shadows expansion releases later this month.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 29
RE: The Deal of the Week, part two! - 5/7/2013 3:28:18 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Just a thought but matrix should post the descriptions of the mega campaigns that were there when they were being sold by themselves. I only played the desert fox one( I believe that was name) but it was unique and well done. Just so people understand more about them.

Screaming Eagles:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/290/details/Mega.Campaign:.Screaming.Eagles

Lost Victories:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/289/details/Mega.Campaign:.Lost.Victories

Watchtower 1942
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/291/details/Mega.Campaign:.Watchtower.1942

Desert Fox 1941:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/288/details/Mega.Campaign:.Desert.Fox.1941

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> The Deal of the Week, part two! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI