Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship speeds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Ship speeds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship speeds - 2/6/2020 7:00:14 PM   
CaesarAug

Ok, so Impulse, Cruise, Sprint are all sublight ship speeds,
with the only warp speed being the Hyper, correct?

Possible name-changes like Impulse, Sublight, Maneuver, Warp
might make these more easily recognisable from a Star Trek perspective...

Also, the Impulse speed seems to be fixed at 3, regardless of all types of engine components.
Is there any way to increase Impulse speed through engine technology,
or barring that, to modify the base speed, even though it will be fixed?

Thanks for any info!
Post #: 1
RE: Ship speeds - 2/6/2020 10:16:45 PM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaesarAug

Ok, so Impulse, Cruise, Sprint are all sublight ship speeds,
with the only warp speed being the Hyper, correct?

Yes - though note that Cruise, Sprint, and Hyper speed can all be limited by available power.

Some formulas:
Turn Rate = [(number of directional thrusters)*(directional thruster thrust rating)*115/(total size of ship)] + 6

Ship Speed = [(number of main thrust components)*(thrust per main thrust component)/(total ship size)]*X
X = min( 1, (reactor excess output)/[(number of main thrust components)*(thrust level energy use)] )

Hyper Speed = (hyperdrive's rated hyper speed)*X
X = min( 1, (reactor excess output)/(hyperdrive's rated energy requirement) )

Acceleration:
accelerationRate = ((topSpeed / 8) + 0.5) * accelerationFactor
accelerationFactor = ((reactorPowerOutput - staticEnergyConstumption) / engineMaximumPower)
if accelerationFactor > 1
accelerationFactor = min(2, accelerationFactor^025)

Hyperdrive stacking: A design with two different hyperdrive components (i.e. Kaldos + Equinox, not Kaldos + Kaldos) will result in a design which effectively has a single hyperdrive with the following characteristics:
1. The hyperspeed energy requirement will be equal to the maximum energy requirement of any hyperdrive component carried by the ship.
2. The time required to initiate a jump will be equal to the minimum jump initiation time of all the hyperdrive components carried by the ship.
3. The hyperspeed will be equal to the maximum hyperspeed of the hyperdrives carried by the ship.
4. The size requirement of the effective hyperdrive, as you might expect, is equal to the sum of the sizes of the hyperdrive components carried.

quote:

Possible name-changes like Impulse, Sublight, Maneuver, Warp
might make these more easily recognisable from a Star Trek perspective...

At least for the Star Trek with which I am familiar - most of DS9, TNG, and VOY; some of ENT; and a bit of TOS - Impulse and Sublight are mostly equivalent while Maneuver is essentially meaningless as a speed term. Maybe Quarter/Half/Full Impulse for the current Impulse/Cruise/Sprint, if you wanted to do a bit of Star Trek flavoring for a personal mod.

quote:

Also, the Impulse speed seems to be fixed at 3, regardless of all types of engine components.
Is there any way to increase Impulse speed through engine technology,
or barring that, to modify the base speed, even though it will be fixed?

I am not aware of any way to change the default Impulse speed.

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship speeds - 2/7/2020 1:30:57 AM   
CaesarAug

Thank you kindly, Aeson! Very helpful. Agreed, yes, in the Star Trek universe, there is Impulse (=Sublight) and Warp (Hyper).
So Quarter, Half, Full Impulse are indeed more appropriate terms for the game-default equivalents.

And the fact that the game suggests that a given ship design requires only one HyperDrive engine, it may well be a good idea to have at least two: as a backup emergency system. But your HyperDrive observations are particularly intriguing.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Ship speeds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI