Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not enough money...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Not enough money... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:10:38 AM   
farflamex

I have around 400,000 credits, but every time I try to buy a mining station for 5,000 or so, it tells me I don't have enough money. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:26:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

In what way are you trying to purchase a mining station? Is this in a diplomatic negotiation?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 2
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:44:50 AM   
farflamex

Sorry I mean build one, with a construction ship.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:54:16 AM   
Erik Rutins

That should indeed be pretty straightforward. Are construction ships building other mining stations and just not this one? How are you issuing the order (interface-wise)?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 4
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 4:25:49 AM   
farflamex

Right-clicking on the planet and hitting 'Build X here'. Is it because there are so many queued up and it counts the potential cost of the queue against current credits?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 8:37:56 AM   
Bingeling

As far as I know, the mining station is paid for by the civilians, so your money is not important. Their money is.

I don't quite see how you could run the civilians broke in any normal scenario, though. Are you running crazy tax levels?

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 6
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 9:05:58 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

As far as I know, the mining station is paid for by the civilians, so your money is not important. Their money is.

Only for maintenance. State funds are used to build it.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 10:10:09 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

Prepare for that to be true soon, then ;-)

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 8
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 10:41:04 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hooray!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 10:52:38 AM   
Bingeling

It could be worth a test, though. If civilians have negative cash, can you build a mine? It is a bit too annoying to set up for me to bother.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 10
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 10:56:39 AM   
feelotraveller

I didn't stick my hand up for the Shadows beta otherwise I probably would test this.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 11
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 11:41:34 AM   
Bingeling

Yeah, you can build a mine even if the civilians are in the red.

Very peaceful galaxies, with sky high tax levels and lots of busy constructors, can tell you that...

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 12
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 1:18:47 PM   
farflamex

So what's happening in my case then? I haven't even altered the tax levels, my cash levels were high and it just kept saying I didn't have enough money. The only thing I can think is that I'd queued up a huge amount of mines.. I'm not sure if it's 'wrong' to do that but I just tell them to build a mine at practically every planet with a half-decent amount of resources. At that stage I may have had 50 mines queued up and 400,000 credits... so the cost of the waiting mines might have exceeded my balance. Maybe it sets aside the cost of the queued mines first?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 13
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 1:52:31 PM   
farflamex

Actually it's not that, I've just started a new game anyway (so it's not a problem now really unless it happens again) and I've noticed in a new game, it lets you queue up as many mines as you want without problems. If you literally run out of money, you get a pop-up box saying so. So I dunno what was happening. It was after reloading a saved game, could be a bug?

Another quick question, is there a problem with mining asteroids? It doesn't say anything, but are they just as good as an equivalent amount of resources on a planet? I have an asteroid field in my main system and almost every rock has over 50% gold (which sounds good to me) so I'm setting up a few mines there. Worth it?

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 14
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 2:03:08 PM   
Jeeves

The only asteroids worth mining are the named scenic ones for gold and dilithium. For them you custom design a resort with mining equipment and cargo bays. Also be sure to give those resorts at least ten docking bays...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
edit : my rule of thumb for mining is that it isn't worth mining with less than 125% total from sum of minerals percents plus two times sum of luxuries percents. You might need to explore faster if you can't find that required level anywhere. Or send constructors to repair ships in debris fields. I micromanage all constructors...

< Message edited by Jeeves -- 5/11/2013 2:06:51 PM >

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 15
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:08:43 PM   
farflamex

Hmmm, I tend to just mine everything unless it looks really poor (less than 50%). How do I calculate the income from a mine? To be honest, if I just spam mining stations everywhere, it still seems to go fine and my empire grows quickly, but I'd like to know if any of the mines are inefficient.

Are asteroids particularly poor or do you just go off the resources? If an asteroid has 50% gold, is it the same income as a moon with 50% gold?

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 16
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 3:40:21 PM   
Bingeling

You don't need that many mines, really.

You need to mine more than you spend, and it depends on the size of your empire. Fuel sources are the most critical. 1-2 sources for each strategic and luxury. More for the ones most needed (steel and friends).

Expansion planner shows your total stores. If they increase, you got enough mines, but a spare don't hurt in case you lose one. Of course, if your stores are good, you can wait with replacing the lost one until it is actually lost.

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 17
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 5:06:50 PM   
Numdydar

I just like building mines So I build them everywhere lol.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 18
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 5:24:44 PM   
farflamex

Same here and it seems to help the empire to grow faster. I'm going to play this current game with just 100+ resource planets, unless they're in a really convenient location (like the moon next to my homeworld). It's hard to tell if it makes a different, when I just grow everywhere, I seem to do better.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 19
RE: Not enough money... - 5/11/2013 5:34:55 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Farflamex

So what's happening in my case then?

If you have a saved game demonstrating this, please upload it (instructions here).

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 20
RE: Not enough money... - 5/12/2013 6:10:29 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

Hmmm, I tend to just mine everything unless it looks really poor (less than 50%). How do I calculate the income from a mine? To be honest, if I just spam mining stations everywhere, it still seems to go fine and my empire grows quickly, but I'd like to know if any of the mines are inefficient.

Are asteroids particularly poor or do you just go off the resources? If an asteroid has 50% gold, is it the same income as a moon with 50% gold?

Asteroids have a smaller resource total than moons, but for me the deciding factor is that they have less than 100% total of resource mining RATE. In early game I typically have about 20 constructors and in late game 2-300 but I never run out of targets for mining using my rule of thumb...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 21
RE: Not enough money... - 5/12/2013 10:06:33 PM   
Resan

Are you building while paused maybe? Doesn't seem like your money total get updated while paused. So you might have run out of money with out knowing it

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 22
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 6:31:57 AM   
AminMaalouf

quote:

Shocking! Does that mean you have no longer influence on mining strategies (3x + 1x, priorities in locations etc.)?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 23
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 7:45:09 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf
quote:

Shocking! Does that mean you have no longer influence on mining strategies (3x + 1x, priorities in locations etc.)?

I honestly have no idea what Bingeling is on about. State funds to build mining stations, civilian sector maintains them - that's how it's been since DW's release.

Hopefully he'll clarify his comment.

(in reply to AminMaalouf)
Post #: 24
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 9:13:21 AM   
AminMaalouf

quote:

We'll see. I guess there have been significant design changes in Shadows but he may stand under NDA and will hold back with going too much into detail. I get the impression some old style strategemes won't work any longer.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 5/13/2013 9:14:14 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 25
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 9:34:49 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf
quote:

I honestly have no idea what Bingeling is on about. State funds to build mining stations, civilian sector maintains them - that's how it's been since DW's release.

It is about which source of money has to be out of the red to build a mine. Possibly both. Time will show.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 26
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 6:35:50 PM   
Plant

Sorry, I don't understand your comment Bingeling.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 27
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 9:23:08 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant

Sorry, I don't understand your comment Bingeling.

I think he means the "state" versus "private" funds. You can use state funds to build stuff (ships, bases, etc) and maintain your military ships, whereas private funds are used to maintain bases as well as building (automated, you can't control this) civilian ships (freighters, etc).

I'm not sure if the game disallows building new bases if your private funds are in the red. All I'm sure of is that you can't build anything with your state funds if you can't pay for it (ie: don't have the cash available). What I believe Binge is suggesting, is that BOTH state and private must be in the black to build. He might be right, but I don't recall running across this situation (private always seems to be positive no matter what I do). It is an interesting question he raises, though.

I suspect what is happening to Farflamex is that he has 400k in "private funds", but an insufficient amount in his "state funds" to build what he wants. Either that, or he's hit the queued actions limit - which I'm not sure what that is...

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 5/14/2013 12:03:08 AM >

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 28
RE: Not enough money... - 5/13/2013 9:36:16 PM   
Bingeling

I tested Legends, and having some state funds and privates in the red, allowed mines to be built just fine.

I have played DW in an alternative universe where I had to wait for the privates to get positive cash before I was able to order a mine. This alternative universe may also be one where it is a bit less tricky to get the civilian economy into the red areas. In legends it took 'very hard', a harsh homeworld, and five very eager constructors.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 29
RE: Not enough money... - 5/14/2013 1:10:58 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

I have around 400,000 credits, but every time I try to buy a mining station for 5,000 or so, it tells me I don't have enough money. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

It's a bug. It happens to me frequently. Have no idea how to reproduce it. Usually just clicking on other stuff solves the problem. I believe it only happens to me with the "build mining station" buttons being grayed out with the message "not enough money" displayed when I hover over with the mouse. I think if you select your constructor and right click with it you can get the option to build the station as a workaround.

(in reply to farflamex)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Not enough money... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI