Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New to the game and have some questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> New to the game and have some questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to the game and have some questions - 12/26/2002 12:16:56 PM   
twthomas

First off let me say that I am really enjoying this game.
I have a couple of quick questions and suggestions though.

1. Can you only use the Instant Colony on the planet on which it was found? I ask because I troed for an hour to use one that I brought back to SOL. I tried it from the Space Dock, I tried it from a ship...no luck.
Found a second one and immediately activated it. COLONY!!

2. PLanet Killer. Same deal basically. Can't get it to work anywhere. Not that I really want to use it , I just want to see it work once.

Suggestions:

Make it more obvious how to switch squadrons with a ship. Making the text the same color as most undefinable items made it REALLY hard to figure out how to do it.

Thanks Matrix. This game is good stuff!
Post #: 1
- 12/26/2002 6:53:40 PM   
IonCannon

Andrew should have the best answers to these questions; afterall, he's the developer of the game :)

1. No, you can use the instant colony artifact on some planet you would like to colonise, provided its system does not already have a colonised planet.

To do this, you select a ship which has an instant colony artifact, click on the planet you would like to colonise on the solar view (the one which shows a world with its cities) and you see a blinking white dot appear on it. Then go to the navigation menu and you should see a colonise planet... option. Select that, and the ship will go there and a colony should be formed.

You could also look inside the manual since it also includes the above instructions on how to colonise a planet.

2. As for the planet killer, I'm pretty sure it works like to killer beam but with a larger arc. I won't venture into saying anything about it since I haven't used it yet either :D

I'll leave it to Andrew to make the explanations :)

Well, hope this stuff helped you out. Good luck

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 2
- 12/27/2002 3:06:39 AM   
twthomas

Well I did read the manual and it does indicate exactly what you explained....

Now..

How do you reall do it?

Before I wrote my post I had it on a ship.
I clicked on no less than 30 worlds.
All in systems with no artifacts.
Sized from small to huge.
From type 1 - 5.
I looked in the nav menu as well as the use artifact menu.
No luck either place.

Hopefully this Andrew individual will be able to better explain why I am having trouble besides telling me to read the manual.

Thanks.

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 3
- 12/27/2002 1:22:20 PM   
Maxfreeboard

Apparently the planet killer can be used anywhere, or at least it seems like it because it's been used against me 3 times now and I finally disabled the planet killer for now. I think that I am further along in the research tree than most my enemies but then they'd discover the planet killer and that would be the end of me and my advanced technology. :eek:

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 4
- 12/27/2002 1:28:02 PM   
twthomas

Yup. Started happening to me too. Know I MUST figure out how to use it.

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 5
- 12/27/2002 1:31:35 PM   
Maxfreeboard

I got to find it first! :-)

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 6
- 12/27/2002 8:50:48 PM   
IonCannon

Hi twthomas,

It wasn't my intention to tell you to read the manual, since I assumed that was the first place you looked before posting here; but those were indeed the steps I used to create a new colony using the instant colony artifact.

I just tried it today and successfully created a colony using the artifact, from a ship of course.

Sorry if I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully, Andrew will come on soon and have an idea as to what is happening.

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 7
- 12/27/2002 9:51:43 PM   
twthomas

IONCANNON,

Sorry if I seemed snappy. I didn't really mean to.
I am just frustrated because I can't seem to get this thing to work.

Pretty evil having three instant colony artifacts and no way to use them.

I hate just popping up a colony on the same planet where I find the thing too. Often times not the most logical of places to put a new colony.

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 8
- 12/27/2002 11:44:26 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Okay, here's some answers.

Read the manual (joke :) )

You can only use planet killers on ships that are assigned the "Attack world" mission. To use it you need to activate it (this will usually happen automatically when your ship enters the system of the world you're going to attack). Then it's just like using any other weapon, aim it at a city and fire. Note that an Invincible Sheild will stop it.

To use an instant colony pod. You need to *focus* on the ship with the pod, click on a planet you want to colonize (I suggest you use the Planets popup to do this) and assign the Colonize mission to it. It's probably better to pause the game while you're doing this. If you're not using the Planets popup to colonize then you need to click on a planet (you'll see a white flashing disk on it). Again, I suggest you pause the game while doing this. Then go to the navigation popup and assign the Colonize mission to your starship.

Hope that helps.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 9
- 12/28/2002 1:43:35 AM   
twthomas

I will try it tonight. Thanks and Kudos on the game. Very consuming product.

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 10
- 12/29/2002 9:25:24 PM   
IonCannon

Twthomas,

There's no need to apologise :)
Afterall, I've been in quite a few situations similar to your one.

Hopefully, everything's working smoothly for you now. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 11
Get religion - 1/7/2003 11:26:23 AM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Maxfreeboard
[B]I got to find it first! :-) [/B]

Maxfreeboard,
I found the planet killer in my first game. I came across some out of the way star system late in the game that wasn't claimed and when one of my ships went there it asked for the religious artifact. I looked through my ships and found one that had it and sent it there and it worked like a charm to pick up the planet killer artifact. So I guess the religious artifact is the most important one to find early on to deny it from the AI, and then get it safely home and not traipsing around the galaxy with it fighting battles like I unwittingly did though I got lucky and didn't lose it. Back to create a new universe and get lost in space!:D
Eric Larsen

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 12
Re: Get religion - 1/7/2003 2:23:51 PM   
Maxfreeboard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EricLarsen
[B]Originally posted by Maxfreeboard
[B]I got to find it first! :-) [/B]

Maxfreeboard,
I found the planet killer in my first game. I came across some out of the way star system late in the game that wasn't claimed and when one of my ships went there it asked for the religious artifact. I looked through my ships and found one that had it and sent it there and it worked like a charm to pick up the planet killer artifact. So I guess the religious artifact is the most important one to find early on to deny it from the AI, and then get it safely home and not traipsing around the galaxy with it fighting battles like I unwittingly did though I got lucky and didn't lose it. Back to create a new universe and get lost in space!:D
Eric Larsen [/B][/QUOTE]

Eric,

Good deal! :) The other direction is if I can develope the 'Invincible Shield' first. Andrew said that will stop it. :D

(in reply to twthomas)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> New to the game and have some questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI