Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

dark ages internet connection!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> dark ages internet connection!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
dark ages internet connection!!! - 12/18/2002 8:23:10 AM   
Pivj

Can anybody help!

I've been playing SP1 for the longest time and it's the only game apart from original & matrix's Pac War that I keep going back to.

I decided to try and download the SPWAW ver 7.1 from this site, but at a hefty 420mb, it's just too big a file to D'l even with a d/load manager. Where I live (Scotland) broadband hasn't arrived (or rather isn't available) yet.

Is there anybody out there in SPWAW land who could see their way to burning me a copy, any renumeration taken into consideration.

I would be grateful of any assistance in curing my craving for all things armour!!!

thanks in advance (hopefully)

paul

cheers

:)
Post #: 1
- 12/18/2002 9:48:28 AM   
Goblin

Wait a day or so to see if any of our European brothers answer. If no one does, I will gladly help you out.

Goblin:)

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 2
The News Headlines Read... - 12/18/2002 10:43:46 AM   
Orzel Bialy

"A Goblin Brings Smiles to Many for Christmas"...as he continues to pump out SPWAW copies for the hungry masses. :D

or

"Furry Green Critter Tries to Take Place of Santa Claus"
:)

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 3
- 12/18/2002 10:54:24 AM   
Goblin

How about:

"Santa's 'Elves' Found To Be Goblins!"

or

"Goblin does what many a SPWaWer has done, and will do again..."

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 4
- 12/18/2002 7:30:43 PM   
Pivj

Cheers! Goblin

I'm glad of your reply, glad somebody understands my predicament.

Broadband is widely available in Scotland but the system is that if you live in an urban sprawl you increase your chances getting it.

There has to be a min of 250 potential BB customers for the Phone Co to convert the local exchange(at least I thinks that's the script). Where I stay in a rurally type area I don't think there are 250 people in a 10 mile radius of my house, ha ha!
D/loading a file of say 50, 60 or 70ish mbs no prob but 450, hmmmm!

I was kind of hoping to hear from somebody locally ie the European theatre for obvious logistical reasons, but I'll keep you in mind.

thanks again goblin for your help!

cheers

paul

ps you're not employed by the 'white bearded one' are u?

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 5
- 12/18/2002 11:40:51 PM   
Goblin

No, lol, not me. Truthfully, I had a 56k connection until this year, same reasons as you (not in my area). Another SPWaW player, Tincan, burned me a CD because of the download size. MacCready got me some more SP stuff via CD and the mail. I only do what I think most of us would do, and what quite a few of us [I]have [/I] done. Happy to help a fellow SPWaWer! Lemme know.

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 6
- 12/19/2002 1:35:39 AM   
rbrunsman

I talked a Microsoft customer service rep into burning a copy for me when I mentioned why I was complaining about the direct connection not working for me from my old laptop to my new computer. He downloaded it while we were on the phone and I had a copy in 2 days!

I feel like I need to "pay it forward" so I'll volunteer to help a SPWAW-less person out.

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 7
- 12/19/2002 6:29:33 AM   
Irinami

I lived in rural Missouri, on a 56k connection that maxed out at 48k (usually 46k). I just grabbed GetRight, set the rollback buffer to a very high number (so that I wouldn't get a spot of bad data if my con died), and was patient. Took.... a week? A month? I'm not sure, but the wait was worth it!!

But I understand the predicarment, and if I had a burner, I'd help ya' out.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 8
- 12/19/2002 9:31:10 PM   
Pivj

Hey! Goblin.

Thanks again for your assistance. It's a pity theres's nobody this side of the 'pond' who can help me out.
I feel I might have to take your supersized generous offer to stifle these cravings!!!
Shall I PM you (or vice versa) to make the arrangements, providing thats ok with you?
I am fairly desperate to get my mits on this one.

I bought the SP1 on release a few years back. Next thing my house gets trashed, my original pooter and a bucket load of software got pinched inc SP1.
Download'd a copy from the Underdogs abandonware website but that was seriously flawed in that it didn't have any of the scens load'd (they were on the scen menu but no scens, which was frustrating!!!!). Also, in campaign mode you could only start the long campaign or the Polish but no Normandy and such. On the Pacific theatre you could only start the long campaign, doh!

I've been following this forum for too long to just sit and drool over what I could be doing with SPWaW!!!

thanks again to everybody who answer'd my plea!

cheers

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 9
- 12/20/2002 12:12:45 AM   
Frank W.

i would gladly help you out, mr. scotsman.

but problem is i have SPWAW together on cd with
the lost victories MC, so i think it´s not legal to
copy it..:(

my complete SPWAW 7.1 + MC folder has 1,1 GB !!!

greetz from frank

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 10
- 12/20/2002 12:31:49 AM   
Belisarius

I'd gladly help you out, pivj, but as it is, I'm stranded without a CD burner *arrg* :( Otherwise you'd receive discs with the whole lot - 7.1, H2H and tons and tons of maps and scenarios. :D

If you're still lacking a copy of SP:WAW after X-mas, I'll see what I can do. :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 11
dark ages internet connection!!! - 1/7/2003 8:08:41 PM   
Pivj

Hey Sp'ers

Thanks to all the SP'ers who heard my plea about SP:WaW.
I eventually got a copy from a guy in Glasgow, yippee!!!:D

Thanks particularly to Goblin & Belisarius. On Goblins advice I waited to see if anybody from this side of the Atlantic would be forthcoming and viola, received a copy just in time for the new year. The kind donor of this fine game also included a copy of MBT and WW2.
Cheers Belisarius for offering to burn a copy. Incidentaly, did Father Christmas deliver a new CD burner?

Cheers to you all

Paul

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 12
Ooops! - 1/7/2003 11:36:53 PM   
Noodleboy

Only just saw this, i'll get it sorted if you donate your address to me (ie PM me).

Thanks to Figmo for my copy BTW!!!:D

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 13
- 1/8/2003 1:12:55 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

This thread is very pleasing on the eyes.

Genetlemen, any time you have been aided selflessly by another wargamer, even a non wargamer eh (so that MS customer service rep qualifies too), make a point of paying them a measure back by electing to honour then in our Hall of Heroes eh.

I asked that that forum be created specifically so that the whole world can see who our real heroes truly are.

So if someone has done you a kindless, thank them with inclusion in our Hall of Heroes.

Better delayed than not at all eh.

I salute all the guys that have done so already, and I salute the guys that have not yet been given their award.

Come on guys, you can post about anything, but these posts will make someone's day eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Pivj)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> dark ages internet connection!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI