Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

missing resources?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> missing resources? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
missing resources? - 7/9/2013 5:48:25 AM   
reefs_of_space

Hi,

I'm a newbie playing my second game. I'm playing as a standard empire in the classic age.

Anyway my empire is stalling because I can't find certain resources. Chromium doesn't seem to exist at all (at least in the sectors I've explored so far). The only source of iridium I've found is controlled by an empire that hates me. I haven't found any gold yet either. I've made free trade agreements with another empire and have pirates smuggling me resources but so far no chromium, no gold, and very little iridium has been located. I built a lot of explorer ships early on and have explored a lot of the galaxy. The expansion planner shows no locations with these resources.

How do you find resources? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Reefs

PS I read the very awesome Early Game Resource guide that states: "If there are no planets with the resource you need anywhere nearby though, you will never, ever, be able to get it. Thus, game over."

Does this mean I need to start a new game?
Post #: 1
RE: missing resources? - 7/9/2013 6:20:09 AM   
Canute0

Your Private trade with all other Empire you arn't at war or they have Trade sanctions against you.
Free Trade agreement just improve your Trade cash income.

Did you look at asteroids for Iridium ? They arn't show on the expansion planer by default, you need to set the cross to enable this.
Chromium is just on planets.
If other empire got some Chromium source, your private sector will buy it from there, but it takes alot time until something is build. They start to send freighter to buy/sell missing resources after the construction is started.
You should avoid to use modules they use Chromium (Beam,Torpedos) and maybe concentrate on Missiels,Rails or Fighters.

When you see another empire got a Chromium source, then you know a reason for war. Try to invade the chromium-planet or the colony that control the influence sphere.
Ok that would be a bad idea when the other empire is much stronger then you.

If you want it easy, yes start a new game.

(in reply to reefs_of_space)
Post #: 2
RE: missing resources? - 7/9/2013 1:16:36 PM   
Jeeves

Play a 1400 star galaxy, then there will be plenty of sources for everything...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 3
RE: missing resources? - 7/9/2013 1:39:17 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

Play a 1400 star galaxy, then there will be plenty of sources for everything...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Except for the 'resources' which really matter, like those juicy 100% bonuses...

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 4
RE: missing resources? - 7/9/2013 5:22:58 PM   
Starke

Chromium is a fairly common resource to be short of in the early game; luckily, your homeworld starts with a good stockpile of everything. Assuming you are still fairly early in the game, I would suggest minimizing Chromium use by modifying your ship designs - try removing energy collectors from all ships, although your stations should probably keep enough to cover they static energy draw, and avoid torpedo and beam weapons - though going with the long-range beams would work if you can get Iridium.

Iridium and gold, on the other hand, are very common and I'm surprised you're having trouble finding them. I'm assuming you know how to use the expansion planner to sort for specific resources... the only tip I can offer is the same as Canute, try checking the box 'include asteroids' in the Expansion Planner to see if any have what you need. Just keep exploring!

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 5
RE: missing resources? - 7/10/2013 2:17:57 AM   
reefs_of_space

Thanks all. I didn't notice the option to include asteroids in the expansion planner. So I'll try that tonight and keep exploring. I also found some luxury resources and the other races seem more open to trade agreements now. Next goal is to kill some pirates and prepare for war with the Ikkuro.

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 6
RE: missing resources? - 7/10/2013 1:19:01 PM   
Jeeves

Here's a little hint about wars. Each one ties up troops defending another homeworld if you are victorious, and wastes them if you lose. What you really want out of wars is racial bonuses, Quameno for research, Gizurean for maintenance reduction, Teekan or Wekkarus for income and mining, and Ketarov for spying. If you get enough troops (400+ good ones and at least 100 special forces, 20 armor, and 20 planetary defense) take the Guardian homeworld to double your income from their special wonder located at Utopia. It really helps to have a good ground attack general!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
ps Never trade sanction or declare war on the Guardians, let them declare war on you after you land your troops, command your invasion fleet to move NEAR Utopia not TO Utopia. I typically conquer it between year 7 and 10.

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 7
RE: missing resources? - 7/10/2013 6:16:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Reefs of space,

quote:

ORIGINAL: reefs_of_space
Anyway my empire is stalling because I can't find certain resources. Chromium doesn't seem to exist at all (at least in the sectors I've explored so far). The only source of iridium I've found is controlled by an empire that hates me. I haven't found any gold yet either. I've made free trade agreements with another empire and have pirates smuggling me resources but so far no chromium, no gold, and very little iridium has been located. I built a lot of explorer ships early on and have explored a lot of the galaxy. The expansion planner shows no locations with these resources.

Have you tried setting up a request with the Pirates to provide those missing resources?

Meeting other empires and trading with them can also meet those needs.

You can also plan your designs and tech to mitigate missing resources to a degree.

I'm particularly surprised that you haven't found any gold. Are you doing your exploration and construction manually or with automation? Have you looked at the planets and asteroids with steel to see if any of them also have gold?

Chromium can often be harder to find, but continued exploratoin, trade and smuggling should alleviate this. You should not need to restart. I have yet to have a game where I was unable to complete it because of resource shortages, if you persevere you will be able to address the shortage.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 8
RE: missing resources? - 7/20/2013 7:53:44 PM   
reefs_of_space

Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies. I pressed on in the game and although I still am coming up against shortages my empire continues to grow. I have everything now, just not always enough.

Thanks Erik. I was 50/50 manual/auto exploration. The biggest thing was I didn't notice the option to add asteroids to the expansion planner.

But I think I'm about to solve all my resource problems. One of the insectoid races has declared war on my trading partner (friendly non-aggressive fellows). I've agreed to help them for a ton of money and tech and am preparing to invade. The bug planets are in a great spot and full of lovely bits. To war!

Also excited because this is my first war against an aggressive enemy that isn't likely to give in and be subjugated without a fight.

Reefs

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: missing resources? - 7/21/2013 3:48:36 AM   
Starke

quote:

ORIGINAL: reefs_of_space

Hi all,

Thanks again for the replies. I pressed on in the game and although I still am coming up against shortages my empire continues to grow. I have everything now, just not always enough.

Thanks Erik. I was 50/50 manual/auto exploration. The biggest thing was I didn't notice the option to add asteroids to the expansion planner.

But I think I'm about to solve all my resource problems. One of the insectoid races has declared war on my trading partner (friendly non-aggressive fellows). I've agreed to help them for a ton of money and tech and am preparing to invade. The bug planets are in a great spot and full of lovely bits. To war!

Also excited because this is my first war against an aggressive enemy that isn't likely to give in and be subjugated without a fight.

Reefs

Sounds like a good game of Distant Worlds in progress. =P Strike fast, and good luck!

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> missing resources? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI