Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 12:29:50 AM   
Griefhead

This game is being played with standard settings with the house rule of not bombing HQs unless they are stacked. I will post with a three turn delay and hope that I capture the information that is interesting to the WITE community. I have not played a game past about T65 and since this is my final game for a while I have decided to do my first AAR. I’m recovering from a thrashing by Pelton and a lot of discussion about morale settings. I’m glad to be playing a standard setting game. Pelton gave me some good pointers in my game with him that I am going to try to incorporate into this game. Basically defend Moscow and checkerboard the south. What am I supposed to do with Leningrad Pelton?

Before the game Bozo told me that he would make the standard pockets, I would break them and he would reseal them the next turn. I’m going to have to remember that Bozo is a clown and I think he tweaked my nose over the internet. I don’t know what kind of GER player he is, but as SOV he defeated Ketza (whose very name strikes fear into my heart) early on.

I have not posted photos before and I know they will look bad until I get the hang of it. I hope this one works. Sorry about that.

T1
The opening move by GER formed strong pockets that could not be broken, Riga was taken and GER mechanized are at the doorstep of Minsk. Airstrips were not heavily bombed again in this game, which may be the new normal. I just don't get it - destroying 3000 airships seems a lot better than destroying 1000.

SOV T1 Response:
Run away - with a plan. Start to form the checkerboard west of the Dnepr, rail some good troops up to the land bridge, and start to form Leningrad defenses.
All on map units - morale mean 42, experience mean 36.
Battles – 13 holds, 71 retreats, 14 surrenders, 8 shattered, and 30 routs, with 17 airdrops. 92 SOV units isolated in pockets
Casualties GER/SOV – 10.3k/273k men, 265/3.4k guns, 34/2.7k AFVs, and 43/832 aircraft (0 recon, 0 transport).

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 12:34:48 AM   
Griefhead

I'm going to have to figure out how to size it right.  Any suggestions out there?

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 2
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 11:19:05 AM   
carlkay58

What version of Windows do you have?

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 3
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 9:11:05 PM   
Griefhead

Hi Carkay.  I have the home version of Windows 7.  I used  "Paint" to save the screenshots as a GIF file.  I did recently download "Photoscape", which I was going to try.  Any help is most appreciated.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 4
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 10:01:16 PM   
carlkay58

I use the 'Snip' tool in Windows 7/8 to create my screen shots. It is easy to use and saves off to a jpg file ready for upload. Check it out. :)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 5
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 11:12:59 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Paint is all you need. Keep it simple. It should look like this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 6
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 11:30:28 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

Your Lvow and Minsk pockets look better than the ones you did to me.

They should not be reopened.

Good job!

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 7
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/7/2013 11:46:42 PM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

Good job!

Though it has to be noted, that it is not neessary to break down every Panzer Division to form a continuous line. With the limited Soviet mobility on turn one a three hex perimeter, with a division holding every hex in its ZOC is enough. That way, you save the MP / fuel that is used up on recombining them.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 8
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/8/2013 4:08:23 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Good job!

Yes, our game is the trial run for the game with Griefhead. Hopefully, I won't make the same silly mistakes. For example, I DID move the Fins this time.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 9
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/9/2013 12:08:03 AM   
Griefhead

T2
GER has advanced 160 miles from Riga to Pskov, pushing back screening troops in 7 battles. The 6PAN sits 10 west of Pskov with other GER mechanized and infantry not far behind.
In the center GER mechanized advanced from Minsk 120 miles east pushing back routed and retreating SOV troops and now the lead troops are 20 miles from the Dnepr and the SOV defensive line at the land bridge. 80 miles to Smolensk.
In the south GER mechanized pushed 80 miles east, assaulting routed and retreating SOV troops. Led by the 13PAN moving southeast, 4 SOV units were pocketed. GER allies move east about 30 miles towards the Dnepr and Odessa.

SOV Response:
SOV built the beginning of a checker board in the south after moving east about 60 miles. The line is better formed north of Cherkassy to Kiev. The land bridge is firmed up 2 deep and the Dnepr has troops in defensive position 1 deep as far south as Gomel. Troops are positioned south of Leningrad to begin defensive lines.

All on map units - morale mean 44, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 3 out of 143 have experience > 49.
Battles – 6 holds, 38 retreats, 26 surrenders, 1 scout, and 16 routs, with 18 airdrops.
Casualties GER/SOV – 25.1k/514k men, 327/6.2k guns, 126/4.3k AFVs, and 75/979 aircraft (including GER 6 recon and 5 transport).

Comment Added at Post:
Thanks Bozo and Carlkay for the screenshot education. That "Snip" tool is very cool - never knew it existed. Since both of you said to save the screenshots as JPEGs that is what I'm going to do. I hope this works!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/9/2013 12:11:29 AM   
Griefhead

Well that didn't really work.  The attachment is there but it has to be opened and then it isn't really right.

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 11
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/9/2013 12:40:17 AM   
Griefhead

T3
GER advanced 35 miles north with light fighting and surrounded 1 SOV unit in Pskov. This thrust is led by the 1, 6, &8PAN and associated motorized units, with infantry following.
Heavy fighting at the land bridge defenses and the northern approaches to the Dnepr brought the GER forces just to the west of the river without it being breached. At least 6 panzer divisions and 4 motorized divisions are positioned to strike the land bridge defenses and cross the Dnepr.
In the south GER pushed about 100 miles east towards Kiev and GER units now rest 90 miles from the city. Further south GER panzers also pushed about 100 miles east, with the lead panzers being about 80 miles from Cherkassy. This push pocketed an additional 6 SOV units, including 3 airborne. Ger allies continue their march east and are now 80 miles from Odessa.

SOV Response:
Around Leningrad and Moscow defense lines are being built with reinforcements and stragglers.
The defenses below Cherkassy are almost nonexistent and the remaining forces will attempt to cross the Dnepr and start a tighter checker board defense to the east. The defenses east of Kiev will pull back but still from a line to the west of the Dnepr, however short lived that will be.

All on map units - morale mean 46, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 3 out of 164 have experience > 49.
Battles – 5 holds, 60 retreats, 22 surrenders, and 13 routs, with 24 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 39.9k/728k men, 401/9.5k guns, 232/5.7k AFVs, and 103/1176 aircraft (including GER 16 recon and 10 transport).

Comment Added at Post:
The screenshot (if it works) is just an overview of the whole map to show where GER is on T3. No real detail.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 12
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/9/2013 12:51:51 AM   
Griefhead

OK, with some help I have figured it out. I'm going to post T2 and T3 again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 13
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/9/2013 12:53:03 AM   
Griefhead

Turn 3 overview

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 14
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/10/2013 3:20:04 AM   
Griefhead

T4
GER advanced 70 miles north with light fighting that pushed screening units back towards the main Leningrad line. GER movement east towards Lake Ilmen was a minimal 20 miles.
In the center the land bridge was attacked heavily by AGC, which consists of at least the 4, 7, 12, 17, 18, 19, and 20 panzer divisions and the 14, 20, and 29 motorized divisions with infantry support. The group advanced 45 miles and the lead units are positioned 30 west of Smolensk. The Dnepr defensive forces were not attacked and the river was not breached.
In the south GER forces advanced across the steppes cutting off land access to Odessa and pushed east to within 30 miles of the Dnepr. Lead GER forces are 80 miles from D’town.

SOV Response:
It appears by GER positioning that there will be no attack south of Lake Ilmen; instead the full force of AGN is headed directly towards Leningrad. Factories will be evacuated and the defensive line will be built up with reinforcements that have arrived. Little will be added to the defenses south of Ilmen.
The land bridge defenses will regroup and fall back towards the Moscow defensive lines with the Dnepr defenses falling back enough to maintain a cohesive checker board. Reinforcements will be added to the Moscow defensive lines.
The SOV forces on the Southern Dnepr were organized and strengthen with reinforcements to attempt to stop a breach on T5.

All on map units - morale mean 47, experience mean 35. Rifle divisions - 4 out of 181 have experience > 49.
Battles – 10 holds, 45 retreats, 15 surrenders, and 5 routs, with 32 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 56.7k/885k (+16.8k/157k) men, 498/11.3k (+97/1.8k) guns, 385/7.3k (+153/1.6k) AFVs, and 153/1397 (+50/221) aircraft (including GER 42 (+26) recon and 16 (+6) transport).

Comment added at posting:
I have finally figured out the posting of screenshots (with help from the WITE community) and now I hope to focus my attention on what is important to capture. Any suggestions are welcomed. It has been a pretty straight forward game so far but any suggestions on my narrative is also welcome.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 15
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/10/2013 11:47:22 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Partisans cut one of the main rail lines on turn 8. A slight change of plan is in order.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 16
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/11/2013 6:26:15 PM   
Griefhead

End of T5
Near Leningrad GER forces pushed 50 miles north to the Gulf of Finland with skirmishes against SOV screening forces. The Leningrad defensive line was attacked at Divenskaya and GER infantry and mechanized are in place for an all-out assault next turn. There was no move east below Lake Ilmen. The FIN forces advanced east to the SOV wall at Sortavala, which is expected to hold, and they moved south towards Leningrad and will arrive at the fortification line next turn.
The GER push towards Moscow continued with the land bridge defenses being assaulted and destroyed. The remaining troops were pushed back to the outer Moscow defense line. A heavy concentration of AGC forces are grouped in this area. GER crossed the Dnepr in force and attacked screening forces west of the river. GER is about 20 miles east of the Dnepr from Gomel to Smolensk.
In the south almost no advances east or south were made and no battles were waged. Infantry forces were moved up to Odessa and Kiev and the Dnepr was crossed north of Kiev without resistance by a heavy concentration of GER forces.

SOV Response:
The Leningrad defenses reorganized and prepared for the GER assault which will come next turn. The line is weak having mostly F0 fortifications, some of which will turn to F1s by next turn. All factories of value are evacuated out of the city. The 30th Army, which had been in defenses south of Ilmen, moved towards Moscow to become part of the defensive line.
Most reinforcements this turn were added around the Moscow area to build up the defensive lines. The line is at least 20 miles wide from south of Vyazma to north of Rzhev and contains many F1 and F2 fortifications. South of Vyazma a checker board defense is set up that runs to Gomel.
Kiev is abandoned and the forces are moved back into a checker board defense against the approach of GER units that have crossed the Dnepr north of Kiev. From 40 miles north of Cherkassy the Dnepr fortified positions are maintained, having many F2s and F1s.
All on map units - morale mean 48, experience mean 35. Rifle divisions - 5 out of 205 have experience > 49.
Battles – 1 holds, 28 retreats, 6 surrenders, and 8 routs, with 25 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV: 72.1k/946k (+17.5k/61k) men, 522/12.0k (+24/700) guns, 515/7.6k (+30/300) AFVs, and 185/1533 (+32/136) aircraft (including GER 57 (+15) recon and 23 (+7) transport).

Comment added at Posting:
The center screenshots were corrupted so just the north and south are posted. The GER push at the land bridge is missed. Bozo may start adding some of his own screenshots to help clarify the situation from the GER perspective.
It doesn't seem, up to this point, that HQBUs have been used by GER, which has allowed most arm and vehicle factories to be evac'ed.
I attempted to set up some sort of checker board defense this game west of the Dnepr but it was mostly a failure with troops becoming surrounded. At this point I don't think there is any good way to defend the Ukraine. I have seen some AARs in the past that have but I don't understand how it is done.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/12/2013 4:49:51 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

I believe the middle is missing so here is the screenshot for that. Lots of tanks and infantry smashing through the land bridge.

Cool game so far! Leningrad will fall early but I'm not sure how the rest will go.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 18
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 1:24:09 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

This is the funniest battle report I've seen so far. I wonder how those artillery pieces got away. Did they just roll off?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 1:26:05 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Now I get it. They came from the SU assigned by the HQ.

Post #: 20
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 4:05:13 AM   
Griefhead

End of T6
GER push the Leningrad defenses back and moved 20 miles north and east to the outskirts of city. The bulk of AGN is in position to directly assault the close in Leningrad defenses next turn and is making no attempt to go south of Lake Ilmen at this time.
AGC moved east about 15 miles with infantry but the GER mechanized units headed 100 miles south to split the SOV defenses in half and pocket 13 SOV units. Some AGS mechanized units moved north to join AGC and complete the pocket, encircling another 3 SOV units. The remainder of the GER units that were north of Kiev last turn moved east about 40 miles and captured Kiev uncontested.
Further south, 4 GER mechanized units breached the Dnepr at Cherkassy and are followed by heavy infantry support just west of the river. Odessa was attacked and taken resulting in 1 SOV rifle division becoming isolated. The rest of the GER southern front made little advance towards the Dnepr or D’town.

SOV Response:
The Leningrad defensive line was moved back 10 miles just north of Lake Ilmen and the rest held fast. The number of GER troops in the Leningrad vicinity portends a direct assault on the city and the defenses are mostly F0s and F1s. The line may hold up 1 turn before the city is isolated except for port supply. A few reinforcements were added south of Ilmen because of general weakness in the area.
Since the main attack force of AGC moved south to pocket SOV troops it is expected that the main thrust on Moscow will come from that direction. The defensive line was shifted southward and reinforcements were added in this area. The majority of the SOV screening forces between Vyazma and Bryansk were pocketed last turn but there were no reinforcements available to add to this area. The line at Bryansk held fast with some reinforcements. Further south, between Novgorod Seversky and Cherkassy, the SOV screening forces fell back about 70 miles and formed up in a check board.
The Dnepr river defenses held fast from Kremenchug south.
A total of 17 SOV units with 136k men were surrounded this turn in 3 separate pockets. The largest pocket, with 13 units and 108k men was broken - at least temporarily. So far, 18 armor, 9 motorized, and 35 infantry divisions have been destroyed.
All on map units - morale mean 49, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 6 out of 214 have experience > 49.
Battles – 11 holds, 29 retreats, 3 surrenders, 1 scout, and 4 routs, with 28 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 90.3k/985k men, 626/12.6k guns, 677/7.8k AFVs, and 232/1867 aircraft (including GER 81 recon and 31 transport).

Comment added at Posting:
I wish I had not reteated the SOV troops south of the straight at Leningrad. These well entrenched troops would have slowed the fall of Leningrad by at least a turn and maybe 2 or 3. I looked at getting these troops (maybe 75k men) out or pocketed with the rest of Leningrad and I decided to retreat. It would have been much better to remain in place. At T9 some of the panzer units from the north have shown up at the northern defenses of Moscow and it would have been much nicer if it was T10-T12.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 4:06:26 AM   
Griefhead

T9 South

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 22
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 4:09:23 AM   
Griefhead

T6
The retreat south of Leningrad actually didn't happen until next turn.  But I still regret it.

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 23
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/13/2013 4:33:37 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

At T9 some of the panzer units from the north have shown up at the northern defenses of Moscow and it would have been much nicer if it was T10-T12.

Those are actually tanks from army group center. There was a change of plans due to the successful Partisan attack on turn 8.

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 24
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/14/2013 2:49:31 AM   
Griefhead

End of T7
GER broke through the center of the Leningrad defensive in a strike 30-50 miles south of the city, pushing east through a 30 mile line with F1 defenses. The lead GER motorized division then turned north 20 miles in an attempt to isolate not only the SOV defenders north of the straight but also another 13 units south of the straight. South of Ilmen GER infantry has moved east to the SOV defenses forces that are well dug in with F2s but few in number.
East of Moscow GER infantry moves west about 30 miles to bump up against the outer defensive line without any engagements. To the immediate south of Moscow the GER mechanized forces moved further south to join up with infantry forces just south of Bryansk with one or two skirmishes. The pocket from last turn that was broken was firmly sealed isolating 11 SOV units.
GER troops west of Gomel moved 90 miles east, finding little resistance, with the lead mechanized units (at least 3 motorized and 3 panzer divisions) resting 65 miles west of Kursk. Further south from Kiev and from across the Dnepr GER infantry and mechanized units advanced 75-100 miles in heavy fighting against the SOV checker board defense. The lead panzer division (9th) is now 110 miles west of Kharkov. The GER allies solidified their hold on Odessa and moved east about 10 miles towards the Dnepr without any engagements.

SOV Response:
The pincer move south of Leningrad through the defensive line forces SOV to pull back all troops south of the straight to try to develop defenses for the port cities that supply Leningrad across Lake Ladoga and for the rail lines to these ports. Two infantry divisions were left behind who will try to make it to Leningrad. The rest of the line around Novgorod followed suit and pulled back to make a continuous defense from Novgorod to the port city of Novaya Ladoga, 20 miles or more wide without any fortifications. A hard GER push east will likely break this line and end up isolating Leningrad. SOV armor was evacuated from the peninsular at Osinovets by ship.
Directly west of Moscow there appears to be few, if any, GER mechanized units in the area. They seem to have been pulled south indicating that the major push on the city will come from this direction. The defensive lines adjusted themselves somewhat to the southeast again this turn.
The pocketed units (94k men and 1400 guns) west of Bryansk are doomed and the rest of the Sov forces pulled northeast to set-up defensive positions east of Bryansk to protect Tula and slow an expected GER offensive through this area headed towards the city and later towards Moscow. Screening forces between Kursk and Kharkov pulled back 70 miles to the Sumy area to avoid a possible encirclement and to shore up defenses. Along the Dnepr forces pulled east about 50 miles, forming a checker board defense and will continue to pull back towards Stalino as necessary.

All on map units - morale mean 50, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 7 out of 212 have experience > 49.
Battles – 1 holds, 21 retreats, 8 surrenders, and 7 routs, with 33 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 109.3k/1083k (+19.0k/98k) men, 690/14.0k (+64/1.4k) guns, 805/8.0k (128/200) AFVs, and 282/2104 (+50/237) aircraft (including GER 103 (+22) recon and 39 (+8) transport).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/14/2013 2:50:24 AM   
Griefhead

Some detail shots:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 26
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/14/2013 4:24:37 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Turn 9
Model and his II Corps secure a bridgehead over the Neva. I was also trying to bomb the port at Osinovets but that failed. Does anyone know how many bombers I need to damage the port?

Turn 10
Rendulic and his I Corps take Osinovets. Tanks establish a link to the Finnish allies.

Turn 11
Leningrad falls and the Finnish troops move south. Next turn they will hopefully destroy the remaining three Russian divisions in the pocket. Rendulic and his I Corps were obviously to tired and failed.

Still pondering what to do next. I have many options but because of supply difficulties and entrenched Russian units none of them look very attractive.

Finally finished the turn. Developments:
1. Instead of that dude who always talks about his right hook I'm doing a left hook!
2. Lots of weirdness in front of Voronezh. Pocket resealed. I believe a total of 16 units are pocketed right now.
3. Tambov was taken. I'm sure I will pay for it. Griefhead has his cavalry well positioned. Does the industry in Tambov matter at all?

< Message edited by Bozo_the_Clown -- 8/15/2013 1:45:41 AM >

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 27
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/16/2013 4:10:51 AM   
Griefhead

End of T8
After breaking through the defenses at Leningrad last turn GER cleared out some stragglers and consolidated south of the city. No attack was made against the newly formed Novgorod - Novaya Ladoga defensive line. There was little further activity south of Ilmen and north of Moscow.
West of Moscow, GER infantry advanced 20 miles north in light fighting and moved 30-40 miles east but stopped short of the Moscow outer defenses and consolidated. The pocketed SOV units west of Bryansk were destroyed and GER continued east 40 miles to form a partial pocket around the city.
GER mechanized units east of Kursk moved south to Sumy to join up with other mechanized forces that were moving east towards Kharkov. These GER units moving towards Kharkov advanced east 70 miles in the heaviest fighting of the turn and now rest 30 miles west of the city. There was little noticeable GER activity south of Kharkov.

SOV Response:
The general lack of GER assaults from Moscow to Leningrad gives the SOV defensive lines time to entrench and strengthen. GER forces south of Leningrad appear to be of sufficient strength to take the city in 2 or 3 turns but there does not appear to be any mechanized forces positioned that can attempt a northern flanking move of Moscow, at least until Leningrad falls. Available reinforcements are added to the Tula and Ilmen areas.
South of Moscow to Kharkov GER forces are consolidating earlier gains with only small advances east. Most SOV troops have already evacuated the territory and are now being positioned to defend Kharkov and Stalino. The number of engagements this turn was about the same as last turn but vital SOV defenses were not assaulted, allowing SOV to rest, build up existing defensive lines, and reposition itself to better address the tips of the GER advance.
All on map units - morale mean 49, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 9 out of 223 (3.9%) have experience > 49.
Battles – 6 holds, 38 retreats, 5 surrenders, and 6 routs, with 23 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 128.4k/1214k (+19.1k/131k) men, 768/16.0k (+78/2.0k) guns, 921/8.1k (116/100) AFVs, and 330/2193 (+48/89) aircraft (including GER 125 (+22) recon and 41 (+2) transport).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 28
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/16/2013 4:12:40 AM   
Griefhead

The South.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 29
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/17/2013 11:18:34 PM   
Griefhead

End of T9
GER forces crossed the straight and moved infantry into the “backdoor” space next to Pavlovo. The 6&8 panzer divisions, which had joined in the attack, moved south towards Moscow. Other panzer divisions (12&19) have already left Leningrad and have shown up at the northern defenses of Moscow to start a flanking move.
GER mechanized units moved north from Moscow towards the hills south of Lake Ilmen and encircled 3 airborne units, putting pressure upon the defenses in the area. The bulk of AGC moved 40 miles west in light fighting against the Orel/Kursk checker board defense.
The major battles this turn were fought in the GER advance north of Kharkov, which pushed through the defenses and started a flanking move around the city. The defensive line north of D’town was pushed back 10 miles in light fighting.

SOV Response:
The defenses below Ilmen were pulled east to be better positioned to meet the advancing GER mechanized forces from the south. The outer defensive line at Moscow was moved to the north of the city as were some other units from the southern defenses. Both of these GER advances do not appear to be well supported by infantry at this time. The forces from D’town south held position at the Dnepr.
SOV troops were pulled back about 30 miles at Kursk, 20 miles at Kharkov, and 30 miles in the bulge below Kharkov to protect the cities and firm up the southern defensive line from Kharkov to the Dnepr.

All on map units - morale mean 50, experience mean 38. Rifle divisions - 10 out of 233 (4.3%) have experience > 49.
Battles – 5 holds, 21 retreats, 0 surrenders, and 5 routs, with 33 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 147.8k/1244k (+19.4k/30k) men, 864/16.5k (+96/500) guns, 1031/8.3k (+110/200) AFVs, and 395/2329 (+65/136) aircraft (including GER 144 (+19) recon and 42 (+1) transport).

Comment Added at Posting:

Going into T13, the difference between operational and damaged GER airships grew from about 500 to 800. I will continue to watch this disparity, but it seems to me that a difference of 300-500 is normal (does anybody know?). I am thinking (hoping) that this growing disparity represents the couple thousand SOV airships that were not destroyed on T1 by GER bombardment. It may be that these little dragonflies are starting to take a bite out of great GER Luftwaffe. I will be keeping an eye on this and if it continues to grow I think it is indicative of wear and tear being inflicted by many thousands of obsolete SOV airships which will eventually lead to dead GER airships lying on the ground.

My opponent in this game seems more interested in destroying SOV infrastructure than SOV troops. Bozo makes wild swings to the north and then swings to the south; all the while avoiding pitched SOV defenses. He skirts the defenses and keeps moving to the outside of them. I don’t know how this strategy will work out for him and I don’t know how best to defend against it. GER players range between Dr. Hitman who keeps the tightest, goal oriented, and properly supported formations of any player in the game (here’s realism for you Flaviusx) and Bozo who uses the whacko mobility of the GER mechanized units to run amuck across the board. Pelton is sort of in the middle, leaning somewhat to the Bozo school of thought.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI