Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help needed - 8/13/2013 5:13:45 PM   
Chris21wen

I've put a Long range scanner on an explorer as a picket and it works fine. Now I do not want to make this ship very big but do want lots of fuel or even better allow them to mine there own. Basically if I put a gas extractor on and send them to an appropriate fuel source when they need refueling. Problem is they want to return to a planet before they will mine. Why is that? Do I need a cargo bay as well? How do resupply ships manage to refuel themselves is it because they have a cargo bay.

Since I create the pickets I could have used a cut down resupply ship with no weapons but would they be treated as none combat if I took all the weapons off?
Post #: 1
RE: Help needed - 8/13/2013 5:31:17 PM   
Canute0

Ofcourse it need a Cargobay, you are harvesting Gas not Fuel.
When the cargo bay is fuel, the mining ship will return to the nearest Spaceport, Since your ship don't got a cargo bay it's allways fuel, and fly to the spaceport when you order it to mine.

But i don't know if a ship use the Gas as fuel when the fuel cells are empty. I saw this happen on a Resupply ship. But no idea if normal ships do this self.
I test it with the Energy to Fuel Converter at moment (Since the module create gas and not fuel), but that ship i test it didn't went empty so far.

But basicly a Longrange scanner is a waste for exploring ship, it don't help at the explorer job.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Help needed - 8/13/2013 5:35:51 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

Ofcourse it need a Cargobay, you are harvesting Gas not Fuel.
When the cargo bay is fuel, the mining ship will return to the nearest Spaceport, Since your ship don't got a cargo bay it's allways fuel, and fly to the spaceport when you order it to mine.

But i don't know if a ship use the Gas as fuel when the fuel cells are empty. I saw this happen on a Resupply ship. But no idea if normal ships do this self.
I test it with the Energy to Fuel Converter at moment (Since the module create gas and not fuel), but that ship i test it didn't went empty so far.

But basicly a Longrange scanner is a waste for exploring ship, it don't help at the explorer job.

I'll stick one on and see what happens.

They are not explorers but mobile monitor stations, hence the term I used 'picket'

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 3
RE: Help needed - 8/14/2013 12:24:58 AM   
Fenrisfil

I use long range scanners on explorers, but only after everything has been explored. They act as mobile monitoring stations, very handy for sniffing out pirates and keeping an eye on troublesome neighbours (cheaper than building excessive monitor stations or resupply ships and it's handy to have them around to pop over and nab any spawned abandoned ships). When you plant them in a system as long as they have enough energy collectors on them they won't be burning fuel anyway (sit them right next to the sun so they get the maximum benefit).

If you put mining equipment on them they will fill up and then automatically head off to a space port to unload, so that kinda defeats the purpose of planting them in other empires systems. The instruction to "mine" doesn't work the same as the instruction to "deploy" which only resupply ships get.

If your still actively exploring however I probably wouldn't bother with the LRS just yet. I only use them when they've gotten to the sit-around-idle stage.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI