Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game - 1/1/2003 7:10:44 AM   
YohanTM2

Hi,

I'm trying to find a good Strategic level game (all who count Axis and Allies as strategy please stop reading) for a buddy of mine to play by PBEM.

I'm looking at either WWII or Napoleonic computer games that fit this bill.

Thanks...
Post #: 1
Re: Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game - 1/1/2003 7:19:48 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yohan
[B]I'm trying to find a good Strategic level game (all who count Axis and Allies as strategy please stop reading) for a buddy of mine to play by PBEM.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Uncommon Valor should fill the bill.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 2
- 1/1/2003 7:21:41 AM   
YohanTM2

Thanks but UV is really grand tactical not strategic IMHO

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 3
- 1/1/2003 7:29:21 AM   
dpstafford

[B]Thanks but UV is really grand tactical not strategic IMHO [/B][/QUOTE]
A "fine" distinction. Well, both Hearts of Iron (Paradox) and Strategic Command (Battlefront) suck wind.

Did I mention Uncommon Valor?

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 4
Re: Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game - 1/1/2003 7:40:29 AM   
CCB

[B]Hi,

I'm trying to find a good Strategic level game (all who count Axis and Allies as strategy please stop reading[/B][/QUOTE]

so much for Risk and Stratego. :p :D

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 5
- 1/1/2003 7:41:51 AM   
Jim1954

Russo-German War 41-44 is a good division/regimental simulation of the Eastern front.

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/index.htm

Only available online.

:) ;)

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 6
- 1/1/2003 8:17:08 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

Avalon Hill made the old Third Reich game for PC. It sucked pretty bad really but that is about as good for a PBEM PC game you will find IMHO.

Copies can still be found on eBay from time to time and they are pretty cheap.

GG

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 7
- 1/1/2003 8:37:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Game scale needs to be better determined here.

Then you need to decide complexity level (because Axis and Allies while simplistic, is still a challenge against a good player eh).

Then there is whether it can be played solo adequately (ie is the AI at least reasonable because some game's woeful AI ruins the game if you don't intend to go online and play others by email at all).

And of course we need consensus on the word "Strategy". Because the term Strategy seems to be tagged onto every military program in existence eventually.

Someone has already stolen the pleasure of saying HoI sucks, but SC doesn't. It is merely not as incredible complex to play as is A3R.

But if your target buyer is not a hard core gamer, then it will take him a while before he can shrug and say SC is to easy.
And he only needs to try play it against a hard core gamer to find out what hard is about.
And the fact it is the cheapest cost intro game I can think of that is also new currently.

I had a chance to get Third Reich for the PC for free (buddy didn't like it), I passed.
It was not well made at all (and odds are it won't like your computer at any rate).
If you would even consider TR for PC, then you should be buying SC instead (because TR PC is no where near as good as SC even with SC failings, which are not to numerous really).

Back to game scale. Is a game like Steel Panthers defacto not included due to scale ie not technically "strategy".

Next notch up the scale, Panzer General's Allied General variant is inexpensive, and hey how about that, it likes XP, gotta like that.
Of course I can show you where you can currently just download it for free.

If you go by common grognard usage of the term though, I would say, that SC is currently the only "strategy" ie "strategic" ie global grand strategy warfare game on the market.

By definition almost everything else is operational level.

If you can manage operational though, I strongly suggest Century of Warfare. It appears highly modable, and encompases WW2 and modern in one package.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 8
Fun Games - 1/1/2003 1:39:37 PM   
VictorH

Don't believe what you see in some of the comments on this thread. Hearts of Iron and Strategic Command are good games. So is Schwerpunkts Russo-German War. Europa Universalis I & II are also excellent games. All these are "Strategic in Scope", whereas Art of War - Century of Warfare is more Operational in Scope, but Excellent. Then there is Uncommon Valor, Excellent choice for an Operational scope game. Also there are HPS's games: Normandy 44, Smolenks 41, Civil War, etc. are are also Excellent. Finally there are the games from Adanac Command Studios, 1806 and a "Strategic Scale" game on the American Civil War that is FREE! Check out the websites for these game company's, just use the search on Google with the names I have given.

It all really depends on what you like to play.

This is a great Hobby, good to see you getting a friend involved!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 9
- 1/1/2003 3:10:04 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

[B]Hi,

I'm trying to find a good Strategic level game (all who count Axis and Allies as strategy please stop reading) for a buddy of mine to play by PBEM. I'm looking at either WWII or Napoleonic computer games that fit this bill.

Thanks... [/B][/QUOTE]Have you ruled out PacWar and WiR?

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 10
- 1/1/2003 8:29:58 PM   
YohanTM2

Hey Sarge,

Good to see you over here. I have played SC out. It is a good game but tilted way to much in favor of the Axis. Unless you have very bad research luck with the Germans you should never lose.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 11
- 1/1/2003 8:35:46 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

VictorH, defend HoI.

I challenge you to defend a game that has a very lousy AI, that sits inside a buggy as hell program, that even dozens of patches won't help.

With a price tag that exceeds numerous proven "good" games.

Simulating all of WW2 in perhaps the most clumsy mode possible, RTS mode.

That takes micromanagement to new levels, under the most unacceptable circumstances. This is the worst possible way to do grand strategy.

WW2 hour by hour? Only a dolt would call this a good idea. Speeding up the game, I don't think this solves the stupidity of choosing hourly initial rate one bit.

Which allows such incredible levels of ahistorical idiocy, that even limitless suspension of disbelief will fall short of making the game credible. Poland winning the war? why not just add aliens too while you are at it.

Anyone that would call this game "fun", should either accept they should have bought Civilization 3, or requested that Civilization 4 be made into an RTS game.

At least Civ would not be pretending to emulate a specific historical event.

I am trying to stop slagging games, but HoI is counter productive to our hobby being taken seriously.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 12
- 1/1/2003 9:00:16 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Good day Yohan, hmmm your comment has me thinking now "glad to see you here".

Hmm but can't for the life of me recall if I know you on another forum.
Looked, but can't place ya heheh.

Oh for god's sake give me a hint heheh.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 13
- 1/1/2003 9:39:41 PM   
YohanTM2

Hey Sarge,

Seen your posts in the SC forum at Battlefront.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 14
- 1/1/2003 11:19:48 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That was my guess Yohan, but it's amazing how useless member name searches can be sometimes hehe.

Matrix is clearly my home turf zone (hence the lack of some letter thingy after my nickname heheh).

I am trying yet again (I pick at scabs too I guess hehe), to retain an interest at Battlefront.

I would likely prefer to center my SC comments either here or at Wargamer to some extent.

A. Matrix's software is more efficient.

and

B. Wargamer's forums are a bit less frantic paced that a person can leisurely follow a thread without it being buried under a sea of constant new threads.

Battlefront would be a vibrant forum if only they would move to software that allows the option of email notification when a thread a person posted to, was contributed to.

As it goes, their forums are pot luck, and the thread starters are inclined to start a new thread merely to retain their first page option.

Here at Matrix, I have been able to continue to contribute to threads long after they have left the initial viewable threads page.

I am sure this feature is a major factor in why the Matrix forums have some of the most involved thread discussions.

I do get a chuckle out of some of the slurs I have gotten in some cases a few times in the past hehe.
But I am unsure if some of the Battlefront crowd are aware, that in a lot of cases, posts replying to some of my comments are often lost do to my being totally unaware they were ever made eh.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 15
- 1/1/2003 11:28:15 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

By the way notice you are new to forums.

How do ya like Matrix?

Oh and don't let post totals tell you anything. Those with high post totals are not necessarily our best contributors, merely active ones.

I suggest looking in the Hall of Heroes forum for Matrix's shining stars of the community.
It's where we honour persons who have show some aspect or done some selfless deed(s) that contributes a lot to our hobby.

To date I have not encountered another forum out there where the members have wished to do the same eh.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 16
Re: Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game - 1/2/2003 6:09:01 AM   
jnier

[B]Hi,

I'm trying to find a good Strategic level game (all who count Axis and Allies as strategy please stop reading) for a buddy of mine to play by PBEM.

Thanks... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yohan,

As long as you don't need an AI, I would reccomend Computer Third Reich and Computer War in Europe. Both are decent ports of boardgames. IMHO, boardgame ports tend to be better designed than games that start out as computer games

Third Reich has always been my favorite ww2 game and the computer version isn't quite as bad as some people say it is. If you're familiar with the Board version than you can pick up the computer version pretty easily (if you're not familiar with the board version I would stay away from it). Plus it's available for free here:

[URL=http://www.the-underdogs.org]www.the-underdogs.org[/URL]

If you do give it a try, be sure to download the patch and the manuals. They are essential.

Another DOS game that works well PBEM is Computer War in Europe. You can buy it from Decisions Games website.

[URL=http://www.decisiongames.com]www.decisiongames.com[/URL]

This is a HUGE game and it's very faithful to the original boardgame.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 17
I'll Give it a Try. - 1/2/2003 6:30:21 AM   
VictorH

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]VictorH, defend HoI.

I challenge you to defend a game that has a very lousy AI, that sits inside a buggy as hell program, that even dozens of patches won't help.

With a price tag that exceeds numerous proven "good" games.

Simulating all of WW2 in perhaps the most clumsy mode possible, RTS mode.

That takes micromanagement to new levels, under the most unacceptable circumstances. This is the worst possible way to do grand strategy.

WW2 hour by hour? Only a dolt would call this a good idea. Speeding up the game, I don't think this solves the stupidity of choosing hourly initial rate one bit.

Which allows such incredible levels of ahistorical idiocy, that even limitless suspension of disbelief will fall short of making the game credible. Poland winning the war? why not just add aliens too while you are at it.

Anyone that would call this game "fun", should either accept they should have bought Civilization 3, or requested that Civilization 4 be made into an RTS game.

At least Civ would not be pretending to emulate a specific historical event.

I am trying to stop slagging games, but HoI is counter productive to our hobby being taken seriously. [/B][/QUOTE]

Les, this is out of character for you. Generally you are civil, bet it's becuase you have been spending to much time on the SC forum. That's a rowdy and uncivil crowd over there.

I will give it my best shot and try to defend my remarks about Hearts of Iron. Yes, you are correct the game sucked when first released! It continued to suck after the 1st patch. But the 2nd patch has made the game "playable". I gave it a try because I liked Europa Universalis. Yes, it's real time and that is a game type I usually avoid. For WWII it's a stretch. But, the game can be paused while one plots the destruction of an opponent. So, in short I like the game, it's fun to play when I want to "relax the mind".

As I said in my previous post, what one plays is really a matter of taste. If I'm going to play a strategic level game on the computer, I'll start up SC, ACW or Hearts of Iron since they are about all there is available in that venue at this time.

But, if I'm really serious about playing a strategic level game I'll role out Totaler Krieg, World in Flames or Advanced European Theater of Operations (all boardgames and not trying to be patronizing).

Happy New Year!!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 18
- 1/2/2003 7:19:28 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

“Hearts of Iron” is a fine game. It is not real-time. When you can pause the game at any point and issue orders that take (real life) hours to plot the term "real-time" loses all meaning (if it ever had any :rolleyes: ) I will say one thing about the game engine (used in several other games by the same company), you either like it or hate it...

----------
BUT more importantly the man asked for a game that could be played via email (at least I thought he did) and “Hearts of Iron” can not be played via email (AFAIK).

I get the impression this gentleman wants a grand strategy game where the player has choices not only as to troop deployments but also for unit construction, research and development and perhaps diplomacy. If this is indeed the case then options are VERY limited...and with email being the mode of play they are even more limited.

I used to own an old game... “Command Decision”? I liked it better than SC. But good luck finding a copy these days.

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 19
- 1/2/2003 7:48:33 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grumbling Grogn
[B]BUT more importantly the man asked for a game that could be played via email (at least I thought he did) and “Hearts of Iron” can not be played via email (AFAIK).
[/B][/QUOTE]
Good point. HoI is NOT playable by e-mail. This is probably the BIGGEST drawback of the "pausable real-time" engine used in that game and the EU series.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 20
- 1/2/2003 7:30:50 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Reasonable defense Victor.

But hmm might as well skip to the need for it to be playable by email. it can't be.

That sinks it like the Titanic.

I often will pass on a good game if it can't isolate and eliminate the need for an AI.
I play computer games against an AI very reluctantly.
Any game that has no chance at all of ever being a me vs you game likely has zero chance of interesting me personally.

That brings us to computer Thrid Reich, god the game sucks against the AI.
But then again, if you can isolate your playing it against a person, then it is probably slightly better than SC in the area of computer wargaming at the grand strategy level.
But that also assumes you can get the game to run on a modern computer. I am not fully sure if this is possible (so any that have it will have to offer to test it on XP on a new system and let us know).

For my own purposes, I would have to say, I could never back step from Advanced Third Reich, to original Third Reich any more than I could for ASL to Squad Leader.
But in computer form, at least the counter sheet devil of inadequate counters for the minors would be solved thankfully (I would hope).

Any game that can be played vs a person, will always win over a game that will NOT offer this option.

As for me being fiesty on posts heheh, nah that is not Battlefront's fault heheh, just a case of me getting caught up in a few thought processes that have been cross forum oriented (although some of it has been over at Battlefront sc of course).

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 21
Sr2010 - 1/3/2003 12:02:02 AM   
James Taylor

Okay you guys want a strategic game, check [url]www.battlegoat.com.[/url] Its not out yet, which means you can mold its infrastructure (these guys listen). It'll start in the future but I'd bet the farm if it does well we'll see a WWII edition. This is your chance to interact on a definitive strategic simulation?

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 22
Re: Sr2010 - 1/3/2003 12:08:30 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James Taylor
[B]Okay you guys want a strategic game, check [url]www.battlegoat.com.[/url] Its not out yet, which means you can mold its infrastructure (these guys listen). It'll start in the future but I'd bet the farm if it does well we'll see a WWII edition. This is your chance to interact on a definitive strategic simulation? [/B][/QUOTE]
Interesting project! But how can they claim it it "Real time / turn based strategy" ? Which is it?!? Bottom line for wargamers - can it be played by e-mail?? If no, then they are wasting their time and money.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 23
- 1/3/2003 1:28:09 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well I sent battlegoat an email with my thoughts.

I am seeking primarily clarification on this matter of RTS "or" Turn based.

As of this time, I don't recall anyone ever having made a game that is capable of being both.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 24
- 1/3/2003 3:27:05 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

This is straight from the source guys, got this email just minutes ago from the actual people.

Hi...

Thanks for your interest in our game. Essentially how the game is played will be very customizable. For instance, selecting "Turn Based" for either single player or multi player will allow players to give orders at the start of a day, process the turn and watch simultaneously while all players' orders are carried out and then repeat at the end of the day (no allowance for changing orders during the day). Real Time will have time constantly progressing at various speeds and players will be able to change orders at any time (we even take into account a slight delay as orders make it down the chain of command). Personally I feel that people will likely play Multi Player in Real Time and Single Player as Turn Based.

For more details on the game, you should check out our forum ([url]www.bgforums.com[/url]) or website ([url]www.sr2010.com[/url]).

- David

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 25
- 1/3/2003 3:35:37 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm thought I should post a warning.

This game is both turn based AND RTS based.

Hmm picture you and your wife going and living with her parents.

2 women, one home.

Think about it heheh. Then bravely go visit their forum heheh.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 26
- 1/3/2003 3:58:57 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Thanks for your interest in our game. Essentially how the game is played will be very customizable. For instance, selecting "Turn Based" for either single player or multi player will allow players to give orders at the start of a day, process the turn and watch simultaneously while all players' orders are carried out and then repeat at the end of the day (no allowance for changing orders during the day). - David [/B][/QUOTE]
This would seem to leave open a PBEM option using the turn based engine described. It would mean a "combat replay" file would have to be generated and e-mailed to the other player(s). Like UV.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 27
Re: Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game - 1/3/2003 8:10:29 AM   
abradley

[B]Hi,

Thanks... [/B][/QUOTE]
How about 'High Command', at

http://www.ryanbailey.com/hicom/hicom.html

there is a download of the game and manuals, plus complete instructions for Win 95,98, and 98se install and pbm play.

http://www.pressroom.com/~meb/20tha3.htm#HIGH%20COMMAND

HIGH COMMAND
(I) Colorado Computer Games; Gregg Carter and Joey Nonnast; 1991; ***
Adv/Land-Nav-Air/Op-Str
1-3

THIRD REICH -- the way it should have been done. While the AI came in for much criticism, the game itself was easy to learn and play. Economics, strategic planning and operational warfare yielded one of the more complex simulations in terms of playing well.

HIGH COMMAND
(I) Three Sixty; Gregg Carter and Joey Nonnast; 1993; ***+
Adv/Land-Nav-Air/Op-Str
1-3

The updated SVGA version with improved graphics, yet the AI still seemed to be learning disabled. Altogether, a sequel with substantive improvements, and yet it could have been so much more ...

Probably the best way to review "High Command:1939-45"
(i.e. HC) is to begin by listing the games that it
somewhat compares with/against, using the following
three categories:

1. Scope and realism of historical period.
2. Complexity of strategy and functionality.
3. Playability, breadth of details covered, and
ability to play game against computer or live human.

The games:

PC versions of Axis and Allies and Third Reich, Clash
of Steel, Call to Power 2, Civilization III,
Diplomacy, Risk/Risk II, Empire Earth.

SCOPE: Only High Command, A&A, TR, and CoS cover
EXACTLY the topic of strategic war in Europe during
1939-45+, but only HC covers as much detail (even the
graphics are the best of the bunch).

COMPLEXITY: While a fun diversion, A&A is simply a
kid's game. TR was better as a board game, and as
such, was only a little better than A&A. TR and COS
cut LOTS of corners! Winner: HC, as it pays close
attention to detailed borders, rules, and choices
allowable by the players.

PLAYABILITY: A&A is easy to play, and a fun diversion
for a couple of hours (great for a break), but it's
not very realistic. Only HC comes as close as I've
seen to a real strategic simulation experience. It
does have flaws, however, such as limiting only 2
players (the Axis player controls all Axis countries,
for example), the inability of neutrals to produce,
deploy, or have any impact until actually at war, and
the unrelated action phases that take a little away
from the overall impact (a common flaw with most, if
not all, turn-based wargames, in all fairness). But,
OVERALL, you won't find anything released yet that
seriously challenges it with an AI, and that's since
1993!. (NOTE: Europe in Flames (or World in Flames)
looks promising, but details are sketchy).

Once you realize what is left of the bunch (HC), you
can approach it with a better set of expectations, and
understand that yes, it is DOS-based, and yes, there
are flaws in the game, but there are ways around those
flaws that remedy the game back to an enriching
experience.

Here's a concrete example.

The game was not designed to be played by email, or
over the web, but it is possible. It only requires
honesty from both players, and an understanding that
the Allied player (on his computer) will move first,
and the Axis player (on his computer) will watch the
action happen. Both players' phases happen
separately, and with the exception of the momentary
second it takes to save the game at the start of the
oppenent's phase, and then exit (to then email the
files), there will be no real obstacle to making it
work. There are only 3 files associated with each
scenario that will be changed, and they can be emailed
in a small zip file (typically under 30k, so we are
talking NOTHING in terms of email). Those files are
labeled for the scenario, and end with .aln, .axn, and
.sav. (see details at
[url]www.ryanbailey.com/hicom/hicom.html[/url]).

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 28
- 1/3/2003 9:40:14 AM   
Chijohnaok2

so much for Risk and Stratego.

You also forgot that old favorite "Battleship" as in "You sunk my battleship"!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 29
- 1/9/2003 1:38:29 AM   
max_h

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]Russo-German War 41-44 is a good division/regimental simulation of the Eastern front.

http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/index.htm

Only available online.

:) ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

and the review...
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/russo_german_war_main.asp

all in all WiR (Matrix version) is the better game :), but a good game nonetheless.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for a Strategy (not real time) Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI