Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shadow Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Shadow Empire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shadow Empire - 6/4/2020 10:19:20 PM   
Twotribes

Any of the long time ATG people buying Shadow Empire? I am going to buy it and give it a try.
Post #: 1
RE: Shadow Empire - 6/4/2020 10:32:19 PM   
danlongman

I just got home from my daily activities, bought it and downloaded
and I will play after chores. It looks like some of my "fantasy"
scenarios I use for random games.
We shall see.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 2
RE: Shadow Empire - 6/4/2020 10:46:36 PM   
Twotribes

Can not buy yet wife gets home in hour or so will see if she lets me use her credit card otherwise have to wait 2 days for my payment to card to clear.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 3
RE: Shadow Empire - 6/29/2020 3:36:58 AM   
navekaoy

I will almost certainly pick it up at some point, but I haven't had a working PC for awhile, so it could be some time. But yeah, I'll get it based on the strength of ATG and of Vic's constant improvements to ATG.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: Shadow Empire - 6/29/2020 6:50:08 AM   
sedmi patuljak

It seems to be good game but lack of air and naval units is strange.

(in reply to navekaoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/12/2020 5:09:07 AM   
Paul43

I didn't own either ATG or Shadow Empire, and bought Shadow Empire expecting it to just be a better version of ATG. So why get ATG, right?

I didn't like Shadow Empire very much. I thought it was too difficult to pick up, that the interface isn't very intuitive, and the manual doesn't tell you everything. I don't think I've played a game before that pushes micromanagement in both war and internal politics - most games abstract one or the other.

Talking about that on the Steam forum with someone else who felt the same way, they told me to get ATG and it turned out ATG was exactly what I was after. I'm dropping a lot of time into it lately. It all worked out in the end, although I wish I'd been more patient and gotten Shadow Empire on Steam, so I could have refunded.

I understood how to play ATG after about 10-15 minutes other than some details here and there. I messed around with Shadow Empire for nearly an hour and a half and still didn't know what I was doing. Maybe it's me.

It looked good, especially the planet creation and planet history, but it's just a different type of game aimed at a slightly different playerbase IMO. It's more comparable to a Paradox title than ATG.

(in reply to sedmi patuljak)
Post #: 6
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/13/2020 1:44:35 AM   
ernieschwitz

Welcome to ATG. We are still some people who are dedicated to the game :)

(in reply to Paul43)
Post #: 7
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/13/2020 2:54:40 AM   
Twotribes

If you have ATG you gotta get GD1938 scenario for it.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 8
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/14/2020 3:30:42 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I think it can't be played with AI, am I correct ?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 9
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/15/2020 1:40:36 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058
quote:

You are partially correct. The AI can run it, but it is not programmed for it. The AI will in general not play Action Cards, and those are a central part of the game. You can of course simulate this, if the game is simple enough, or compensate for it in some way. GD1938 however is too complicated to do it.

If you want to try a PBEM, there is an active Slack channel where games can be found, and question can be asked... or just in general people can chat together.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 10
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/15/2020 1:52:33 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

quote:

Just play all sides quick way to learn the system and you can not lose if you are all sides )

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 11
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/16/2020 7:56:41 AM   
nukkxx5058

I started a GD38 PBEM 2 years ago but unfortunately, a player gave up after just a few turns ... I certainly would like to try a new one. But with other newbs or other rather inexperienced players. IMO a two-player setup is preferable.

Was wondering if there's a nice and large/detailed Eastern front scenario that I could play solo ?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/16/2020 10:36:11 AM   
ernieschwitz

I don't recommend two players. The Allied/Soviet player will beat up the Axis player, if they coordinate that well, and have the same agenda. Three players would be my minimum recommended number.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/21/2020 11:34:58 PM   
Paul43

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Welcome to ATG. We are still some people who are dedicated to the game :)

Thanks!

I am currently in the middle of the best computer wargame I have ever played. One AI opponent was overwhelming me with massive amounts of tanks and artillery on one side, another had me at a stalemate on land, and a third had naval and air supremacy on me and kept launching raids on my coast. On top of that I didn't have enough oil to run any real offensives or raw material to keep my factories running.

I was about to quit, but I decided to go cheap and see where it got me. Infantry, Bazookas, machine guns, assault guns, flak, horses, and cheap fortresses. Using terrain, taking land back that was undefended or poorly defended, and turtling up to absorb the constant artillery pounding until I could get things sorted out.

I'm now around 80 hours into the game - February 1942, and I've finally captured enough resources to maintain a small airforce, build tanks, and go on small offensives. It's rare that a game is balanced just right like this. I only wish I'd bought it a lot sooner!

< Message edited by Paul43 -- 11/21/2020 11:36:02 PM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 14
RE: Shadow Empire - 11/29/2020 5:10:57 AM   
Queenswu66

Web telephone service providers have actually come to be much more popular than traditional telephony companies. All thanks to the current breakthroughs in Internet modern technology. These advancements have resulted in cheaper telephone service and more feature-rich solutions.

(in reply to Paul43)
Post #: 15
RE: Shadow Empire - 12/12/2020 2:01:21 PM   
ColRosenberger

quote:

Any of the long time ATG people buying Shadow Empire? I am going to buy it and give it a try.

I'm considering buying it (EDIT: Did buy it!) just to support Vic (and who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it as well. But I'm a bit scared of the micromanagement level.). What I really want is an Advanced Tactics version that can better pose as an Empire Deluxe/Advanced Wars/M.A.X./Battle Isle + wargame hybrid. Hopefully with a good campaign with a roster that carries forward + procedurally generated maps/campaigns. But for that it needs a good naval AI that can play naval maps efficiently. As well as an AI which knows how to use the resources on the map.

Since there's high demand for naval gameplay in Shadow Empire and air has just been added, the best chance to get this seems to be to encourage further development on SE. Then with the experience implementing such an AI, Vic can implement it in his other future games.

That's the ploy anyways.

< Message edited by ColRosenberger -- 12/17/2020 3:24:21 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Shadow Empire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI