Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask position

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask position Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask position - 10/13/2013 1:03:28 AM   
ExMachina

I had read advice for this scenario that Norway's missile boats should hug the coastline to minimize Soviet radar effectiveness. I've run a bunch of tests and so far cannot see an effect of the coastline against either Soviet surface radar acquisition or weapon's radar.

Is this tactic actually valid in CMANO?
Post #: 1
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 8:36:48 AM   
Agathosdaimon

I have attempted to do this also but to no avail, russian missiles still come all teh same and over the landscape even - i asked about this in the strategies section and the best advice did not seem to involve using the coast at all. However the advice given of using the ships speed to elude missiles is not something i have been able to practically avoid. Its pure luck it seems once missiles start flying

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 2
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 9:42:58 AM   
Der Zeitgeist

I just did a test myself, putting two missile boats in fjords with a 300m mountain between them. They were unable to aquire each other with radar, but immediately made contact as soon as they maneuvered from behind the mountain. So terrain masking seems to work in principle, you can hide from other ships behind islands if the terrain is high enough.

Don't know about this particular scenario though, maybe the enemy had aquired you with other means beside radar from surface ships.

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 3
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 1:53:11 PM   
ExMachina

quote:

I just did a test myself, putting two missile boats in fjords with a 300m mountain between them. They were unable to aquire each other with radar, but immediately made contact as soon as they maneuvered from behind the mountain. So terrain masking seems to work in principle, you can hide from other ships behind islands if the terrain is high enough.

Right. The masking works. I was wondering if the back scatter from the fijords was supposed to be modeled as well? If so, I would expect a small boat that was close to the coast would be harder to pick up/localize, but as best as I can tell, this does not seem to be the case...

(in reply to Der Zeitgeist)
Post #: 4
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 2:25:26 PM   
Primarchx

I agree. While I've seen shoreline masking work to some degree, it's of minimal effect in my experience.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ExMachina

quote:

Right. The masking works. I was wondering if the back scatter from the fijords was supposed to be modeled as well? If so, I would expect a small boat that was close to the coast would be harder to pick up/localize, but as best as I can tell, this does not seem to be the case...

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 5
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 5:35:05 PM   
Dimitris

For radar, coastal clutter is implemented. If you have encountered a case where you expected a radar sensor to not detect a ship near shore and it did, please post the save.

Thanks!

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 6
RE: First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask pos... - 10/13/2013 5:42:45 PM   
ExMachina

quote:

If you have encountered a case where you expected a radar sensor to not detect a ship near shore and it did, please post the save.

I don't know enough about radars and radar modeling to know what I should/shouldn't expect. Should I expect (as described here) my small Norwegian missile boats to blend into the coastline if the situation is (in a line):

Nanuchka--20nm-->missile boat--1nm-->high coastline

If so, I cannot make the missile boats disappear from Soviet radars without resorting to terrain masking.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> First Contact 1986--using the coastline to mask position Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI