Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Everyone take a breath

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Everyone take a breath Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Everyone take a breath - 10/17/2013 10:38:09 PM   
LuckyJim1010

I feel we should all pause for a bit and take a look at what we are playing with here.

A simulation that has the potential to be the greatest Modern Naval/Air Ops simulation of the decade (to borrow from another post)

Are there problems with the database ?
Yes ( I would argue that the database is up there with what the CIA could put out, probably better)

Is the AI a bit strange ?
Yes (But read about Human Beings in Combat, a lot stranger)

Have you ever played a simulation like this where the Devs are constantly providing feedback and acknowledgements ?
Quite Simply - No

Are they providing constant updates ?
Yes

Do we have the most ardent, knowledgeable , 'love this so much we want it to be the best Sim ever' bunch of Grognards ever seen in a forum ?
Hell Yes

I played the first tutorial scenario and dived in to the scenario editor.

This week I found myself adding the entire RAF 1985 OOB to a scenario including Cab numbers as callsigns.

I added airfields to the UK after adding them as an overlay culled from Gmap. So my airfields are as accurate as the Real World ones. Think about that, when a Backfire drops a string of bombs across the runway at Marham it's not an abstract point called RAF Marham, it's the RUNWAY at RAF Marham.

Another forum member has taken the time to add pics to the database. They sat down and painstakingly went and added pictures to a lot of entries in the DB and uploaded them here for us all to enjoy. Unpaid.

Give the Developers/Testers time to do what they do. The Devs and posters here are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Lastly,did they deserve my £65 ?
Absolutely Yes - if I could afford it I would buy a copy for a guy who wanted it but just cannot afford it. And BTW I would gladly give to a fund setup for people who wanted to get this game but genuinely just cannot afford it.

Sorry all, just felt we were in danger of not seeing the woods because we were all fixated on a single tree

Happy hunting

Post #: 1
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/17/2013 10:44:02 PM   
smudge56

Any chance I can get a copy of your airfields?

(in reply to LuckyJim1010)
Post #: 2
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/17/2013 11:31:05 PM   
Mgellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

Sorry all, just felt we were in danger of not seeing the woods because we were all fixated on a single tree

Happy hunting

Don't apologize. I think you're right to remind us...the perfect is the enemy of the good. And I think what we've got with Command is pretty damn good. :)

Post #: 3
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 6:48:44 AM   
Mac Linehan

Well said, LuckyJim1010!

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 10/18/2013 6:49:27 AM >

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 4
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 7:21:55 AM   
sneekyzeke

Been PC gaming since 1990 and I can see this being one of my most memorable gaming experiences yet! I'm enjoying what we have so far, and looking forward to what this is going to become as it is patched, new features are added based on community feedback, and of course fantastic new scenarios that the wizz kids among us come up with over time. Glad to be here!

Post #: 5
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 7:28:51 AM   
navwarcol

Couldn't agree more. I think that it is not possible to release a perfect product anyway. This is so far along the way though, just after release. Some of the games in my life I have loved the most, started out as major disasters, Computer Harpoon included... it is incredibly difficult to make all of the little 1s and 0s do what is intended, and often when you fix one issue it unintentionally causes another. Looking at the entire group of wargames on the market, so many good ones still have problems after years even... Games such as POA2 come to mind... and many other really great ideas that are just difficult to get together... this one will be together for the most part I predict. It still is 0s and 1s, so there probably will always be SOMETHING... but the real world components that it models, in most cases also are 0s and 1s, and do their own weird things often enough.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 6
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 8:20:20 AM   
SSN754planker

Couldn't have said it better myself LuckyJim! This is absolutely THE sim we have all been waiting for, many of us have been waiting for years. A year from now, this may be a complete masterpiece!

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 7
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 12:10:30 PM   
LuckyJim1010

Blighty - happy to, no problem. Just let me do a bit more Tinkering.

Someone reminded me I had left the Q shed off at Leuchars.

And I want to add a few other bits and pieces and I also found out that Hawks were sometimes dispatched to Newcastle and Aberdeen for AD type exercises. So they are going in as well.

I started on the UKADGE until I saw the Devs had already done it

< Message edited by LuckyJim1010 -- 10/18/2013 12:11:15 PM >

(in reply to SSN754planker)
Post #: 8
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 2:00:45 PM   
smudge56

Cheers mate appreciate it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

Blighty - happy to, no problem. Just let me do a bit more Tinkering.

Someone reminded me I had left the Q shed off at Leuchars.

And I want to add a few other bits and pieces and I also found out that Hawks were sometimes dispatched to Newcastle and Aberdeen for AD type exercises. So they are going in as well.

I started on the UKADGE until I saw the Devs had already done it

Post #: 9
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 2:47:05 PM   
jdkbph

I agree with Lucky Jim but I do see another side and I just wanted to throw it out there. I don't consider myself a whinger (I hope I haven't been whinging...?) nor have I noticed much in the way obnoxious complaining going on... at least not around here.

What I think we're seeing - vis-a-vis the avalanche of enhancement requests - is much like fans hunting autographs after a sporting event. The object of interest is before us, perhaps only momentarily, and the crowd works itself into near frenzy trying to take advantage of the situation before it's gone.

I don't think it necessarily demonstrates a lack of appreciation.

JD

PS, I'm not suggesting that I expect Ragnar, Mike, Sunburn and co. to just disappear after a while... but, more often than not, that is the MO with the larger dev/pub houses.

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 10
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 4:20:35 PM   
El Savior

Totally agree. Best 80 euros spend for a decade. Simply amazing how deep and complex scenarios can be, anything is possible. Devs are doing fantastic job, great support in forums and amazing fast updates. Of course good can be always even better and devs show us that they're ready to make this game even better.

Simple the best game I have played for whole decade or maybe even THE GREATEST. Thank You!

< Message edited by El Savior -- 10/18/2013 4:22:12 PM >

El Savior

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 11
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/18/2013 7:05:10 PM   
mikmykWS

Thanks guys. We're in this for the long haul.

Mike

(in reply to El Savior)
Post #: 12
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/19/2013 1:52:07 AM   
Stevechase

Fully agreed

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 13
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/19/2013 4:45:56 AM   
ExMachina

Indeed. This is something special.

Some of the best game support I've ever seen. Add that onto what is already a top notch product, and I can safely say this is the best value I've ever gotten in a computer game.

Hat's off to the developers.

(in reply to Stevechase)
Post #: 14
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 1:27:07 AM   
prayingmantis

I'm going to add my opinion to this thread, which I'll preface by saying isn't worth much!

1. This simulation attempts to do what has been needed to be done for a long time - bridge the gap between Harpoon Classic, which I default to for its ease of use and fun gameplay, and Harpoons 2&3, for their superior accuracy. As such, the developers have done an amazing job. The platform updates in the DB are great. I find I play this sim now as much as Harpoon Classic and Dangerous Waters. I get my ass kicked most of the time. And that's a good thing. The UI needs some refinement, and I'm sure that will come in time. But it the kludgy Harpoon 2&3 interfaces by far. This is a niche product.

2. I hope this program receives the same community support and long-term attention that Harpoon and its successors received. I know the geopolitical landscape has changed since those were released. But, so far, it seems to be very positively received by users by of this genre. Good sign imho.

3. I haven't read all of the threads on here, just some of the critical reviews online, so I apologize for the following as I'm sure it's been discussed: to further fuel the developer community, a database editor would be welcome. The online reviews all criticized the lack of a database editor.

4. LuckyJim1010 - totally agree with your assessment of the situation! Which of your friends can't afford the game? I'm tempted to buy them a copy just to support this amazing work :-)

Post #: 15
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 2:34:12 PM   
Schnaufer

I took a breath, smells like sh$t.
Feel like a person who paid to beta test a second time.
A/c doing screwy things, and scenarios locking up before I can even complete them.
Played a lot of naval war sims both light and heavy, this has all the potential in the world, but as is it's buggy.
Big props to design team for their ideas, big down to Matrix for allowing this to go out the door at $80.
Starting to get worried about Matrix, no AI for World in Flames, and buggy software going out the door.

My less than 2 cents, have a good one all

(in reply to prayingmantis)
Post #: 16
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 5:37:20 PM   
Der Zeitgeist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schnaufer

I think that's a bit uncalled for. I found the developers quite willing to listen and act on criticiscm so far. Using that kind of language to describe their work tends to invalidate the other points you made, which otherwise would have been quite worth of discussion.

(in reply to Schnaufer)
Post #: 17
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 5:47:16 PM   
BKLANDIN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ExMachina

Indeed. This is something special.

Some of the best game support I've ever seen. Add that onto what is already a top notch product, and I can safely say this is the best value I've ever gotten in a computer game.

Hat's off to the developers.

quote:

Some of the best game support I've ever seen

Indeed. These guys seem to respect their customers, and I will stick with them. Devs who respond appropriately deserve my support. So thanks for what we have, and
for what's in the pipeline.

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 18
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 6:11:05 PM   
MaB1708

quote:

Indeed. These guys seem to respect their customers, and I will stick with them. Devs who respond appropriately deserve my support. So thanks for what we have, and
for what's in the pipeline.

+1! We are in good hands here.

(in reply to BKLANDIN)
Post #: 19
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 6:45:17 PM   
Bedrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schnaufer

Feel like a person who paid to beta test a second time.
A/c doing screwy things, and scenarios locking up before I can even complete them.
Played a lot of naval war sims both light and heavy, this has all the potential in the world, but as is it's buggy.
Big props to design team for their ideas, big down to Matrix for allowing this to go out the door at $80.
Starting to get worried about Matrix, no AI for World in Flames, and buggy software going out the door.

My less than 2 cents, have a good one all

I would recommend not commenting any more until you had at least a nickels worth to contribute. This is a work in the making. the game designers are looking at long term and we can only look forward to continued improvements in AI performance, Added features and community add-ons. If you just want immediate gratification without the patience (already 3+ years in the making) go buy a play station.

To the Devs - great effort, your target audience is also here for the long haul!

Cheers!

< Message edited by Bedrock -- 10/24/2013 6:49:33 PM >

"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The Leader adjusts the sails." -John Maxwell

(in reply to Schnaufer)
Post #: 20
RE: Everyone take a breath - 10/24/2013 7:43:51 PM   
sneekyzeke

I will just comment that Matrix and the Devs and fans have my full support. All things in their own time.

(in reply to Bedrock)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Everyone take a breath Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI