Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI use of Arty..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> AI use of Arty.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI use of Arty.. - 10/21/2013 9:57:08 PM   
wodin

Does anyone feel that your friendly Arty AI uses suppressive fire a touch to much and sometimes Neutralising Fire is what you want. Obviously wouldn't want it to go to much one way..but I very rarely see it use the NF. I think if the unit has a fair amount of ammo NF fire should be chosen.

Thinking about it does anyone use Harassment or Suppressive fire themselves? I always tend to go for NF as it will cause more damage. Apart from being low on ammo I'm no sure why you'd bother wiht the other two forms of arty fire. Even then you soon get resupplied. Actually thinking about it anyone think resupply is abit to easy? I never even think or worry about ammo during the game.

Post #: 1
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/21/2013 10:13:56 PM   
stormbringer3

Here's another artillery related question. I put some long range artillery units on counter battery orders. Unless I've missed it, so far I don't see one time that counter battery was used. Is counter battery useful or should I just use the units in the barrage order set?
Thanks for any opinions.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/21/2013 10:51:30 PM   
wodin

Thing is you very rarely spot their Arty well not in the scenarios I've played so far. In Thors Hammer I sent a recce unit to scout around and cause havoc to their Arty on a suicide mission..eventually found them but up till then wasn't given any clue to where they where. This is where maybe we need more contact counters, like a counter for gun flashes spotted maybe..so then you may get the chance to arty their arty. Like when you get a message that a HQ unit has been spotted in so and so hex, but no actual marker is put on the hex so you have to go look for it. With this sort of Intel again i think we should be told where the Intel came from. Also a chance to get bad Intel aswell..This could be determined by the scenario designer what percent of intel is misleading, i.e say playing the Russians your more likely given bad intel from the civilians than the Allied forces are so Russian player has a higher chance of bad Intel, where lest say the Allied player has dropped Chemicals or even Nukes then the civies may feed you bad intel because you have lost their support. Bad Intel shouldn't happen that often..a very rare event, but just enough to have a seed of doubt in the players head.

Sorry mate..went on abit of a rant then..sorry.

I have never yet put an Arty unit on counter battery fire.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/21/2013 10:54:31 PM >

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 3
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/22/2013 12:32:46 AM   
CapnDarwin

Counter-batter has a chance to spot and order mission strikes based on values in the National tab of the data files. The AI can be big on both HQ shots and also looking to hammer your arty in a CB fire mission. It can be useful if you are out gunned. Off map arty is also subject to CB fire but it is by other units outside your influence.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 4:29:21 PM   
stormbringer3

I thought I'd bring up the counter battery fire topic again. I'm playing the Soviets in A Test of Wills. The Soviets have a lot of artillery, so I took the 3 longest range artillery units that would cover the whole map and put them on counter battery fire. After 2:25 into the scenario they have not fired once. So, is counter battery fire just a waste of a unit? If not, when should it be used? Does it need perfectly clear weather? My assumption is that if they fire it will show in the TAC OPS Centre Diary.
Thanks for any opinions.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 4:33:58 PM   
wodin

Ther eis a bug at the moment I think..you may have the settings to use FSCC..but then you also have to tick it in the "Game" tab..

Post #: 6
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 4:50:57 PM   
mikeCK

Yeah that maybe it because I have several guns set to counter battery fire and they have never fired anything. Also when I leave the guns on call they never fire at anything. So yeah it could be the Staff rule has turned off by itself.

Also in the test of wills scenario, I was noticed on two different occasions that an enemy headquarters had been located. Both times the artillery on call failed the fire. I had to manually order a barrage the next round

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 4:57:33 PM   
stormbringer3

The staff rule is on. All the other artillery units will fire, at least 50-60% into empty hexes when there are many, many visible enemy units.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 8
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 5:27:35 PM   
CapnDarwin

I'm going to bump this thread to the support forum. There does seem to be an issue with on map CB from what I am hearing. I will elevate this to Rob to look at.

Post #: 9
RE: AI use of Arty.. - 10/29/2013 5:32:55 PM   
CapnDarwin

We are looking into the game settings not setting the in game menu and FS tab to the correct FSCC setting. If the game settingis on, then you can toggle the FSCC control during the game using the menu or the FS tab. If the setting is off in the game option, then both ooptions in game will be off and grayed out.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> AI use of Arty.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI